Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Should Non-Bodybuilders Be Able to Critique Bodybuilders? (article)

1. #1 Should Non-Bodybuilders Be Able to Critique Bodybuilders? (article) 
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Should Non-Bodybuilders Be Able to Critique Bodybuilders?
    Matt Weik, December 19, 2017

I received this question through DM on Instagram and the gentleman and I had a good conversation on our thoughts, even though he wanted me to write an article about it (which I am now). He wanted my opinion on whether non-bodybuilders should be able to critique bodybuilders. He brought up how other sports you can be a fan, have never played the sport, yet it seems normal to critique a team or player(s). How is this similar or different from the sport of bodybuilding? Hereís my take on the subject.

Do you even lift bro?
    Iím a Philadelphia Eagles fan and have been all my life. Iíve never once played organized football in school or even college. In fact, I played tennis most of my athletic career and through college. That being said, Iíve always been a fan of bodybuilding. Do I look like a bodybuilder? Those in the industry would say no, as Iím sitting here around 200 pounds currently whereas many bodybuilders are much larger than I am. However, to the normal everyday person walking the street, they might consider me such.

Do I live a bodybuilder lifestyle? Sure, I enjoy it. Does that make me a bodybuilder? Not exactly. To an extent everyone who exercises is a ďbody builderĒ in the sense of they are working out to build their bodyóthey simply just arenít a competitor. Iíve been in the industry well over a decade, and have been writing about it just as long. I feel I have a good grasp of the industry and that many respect and look for my opinion on different bodybuilding subjects.

In todayís bodybuilding society, when someone critiques a physique, you commonly hear, ďdo you even lift bro?Ē Directed at the person who is critiquing the bodybuilder, trying to downplay their size as if theyíve never picked up a weight in their life. This raises the question of if you need to actually be a bodybuilder in order to critique one?

In my opinion, no, you donít need to be a bodybuilder to critique one. There are many coaches who work with IFBB pros who are not bodybuilders, yet they work with top athletes across the globe. They critique their athletes weekly or even daily. So, why do so many bodybuilders get upset when someone says they looked flat on stage, or they looked like they were holding water, etc.? If their eye is that keen to pick up on how someone looks versus where they should be compared to others on stage, wouldnít you assume they at least have somewhat of a baseline knowledge about the sport?

Bodybuilders only care about what the judges say
    Itís interesting that bodybuilders for the most part (professionals at least) are training to work on what the judges tell them they need to see on stage. It has nothing about the individual athlete wanting to look how they envisioned in their head. Rather, they hang onto every critique the judges make about their physique so they have a better chance of placing better at their next competition. Are all the judges on the panel bodybuilders? Nope, but they are highly experienced in the sport and know exactly what they should be looking for according to the guidelines and parameters set by the IFBB.

Then why do bodybuilders care so much about what others think or say? Itís like they wear their emotions on their sleeve and are quick to retaliate when someone talks negatively about their physique. Again, it generally comes in the form of calling the individual critiquing a bodybuilder small, weak, uneducated, dumb, etc. Do you really think Michael Jordan gave a flying potato that spectators or fans thought he played a bad game? Heck no. Do you think when Joe Montana had a bad game he was worried about what his 49er fans thought (Iím not sure why Iím going old school with my athlete examples, but hear me out)? No, he kept his head on straight and went back to work knowing he didnít play his best and was a professional about it. So, why canít bodybuilders do the same?

Professional athletes today have thousands if not millions of fans. Look at Lebronís departure from Cleveland when he was making his voyage to Miami. The city damn near burned everything to the ground that symbolized Lebron. No one batted an eye at what they were doingóthey were deemed passionate fans who were ultimately heartbroken at his departure and as retaliation lashed out. Did it hurt Lebron? Sure. Do you think he was still counting his money the whole trip to Miami and then ultimately winning two NBA championships there? Yup. Were you or I qualified to be critiquing Lebronís actions? Nope, but many of us still made our voices heard.

Just because someone isnít a bodybuilder doesnít mean they donít know what they are talking about or arenít passionate about something. Itís true that they might not know what goes into being a bodybuilder and have first-hand experience from the training and diet aspect, but they have a right to their opinionójust like the bodybuilder could have an opinion of the person critiquing them.

In the end, everyone has a right to voice their opinion whether you agree with them or not. Debating about things is what makes us see things differentlyófrom another perspective. While bodybuilders might not care what people think, and only want to hear from the judges, they are going to get fansí two-cents whether they want it or not. Itís part of being a professional athlete, youíre in the spotlight and open for criticism. That doesnít mean what people are saying is true, but it could be. Accept the fact that anyone, of any color, of any creed, of any race, of any religion, of any walk of life will be a critic of everything you do. Accept it. Thereís no getting around it. And trying to shut people up is only going to have them pay even closer attention to you and speak up. Embrace that not everyone is going to have something good to say about you all the time. If you canít stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.
    2 0

Welcome to CJM, New User! - A Non-Official Guide to Your Potential Assimilation (click): http://canadianjuicemonsters.net/for...ad.php?t=53419

Read about my Incarceration (click): http://canadianjuicemonsters.net/for...ghlight=newark

Read about the History of CJM (click): http://canadianjuicemonsters.net/for...ad.php?t=40153

"People prefer to follow those that help them, not those who intimidate them."

-- Dr Juice
    Reply With Quote   Should Non-Bodybuilders Be Able to Critique Bodybuilders? (article) Send PM  

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    I love when the reigning mr.O takes on his critics like louis marco via social media...great look for the 'sport'
    0 0

Reply With Quote   Should Non-Bodybuilders Be Able to Critique Bodybuilders? (article) Send PM  

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by snowpatrol View Post
    I love when the reigning mr.O takes on his critics like louis marco via social media...great look for the 'sport'
    I had no idea he did this until last week when I read an article at the gym that said he did.....and was one of the reasons he was the most hated Olympia champion of all time.
    0 0

Discipline and dedication yeilds results. Consistency is key.

"You look like shit, you're fat with little muscle and your diet is shit and you're on all that gear?!?! The fuck is wrong with you??? " - xpac2 referring to n00b.

Hardcore Motherfu*kin' Hulk xpac2's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Lui marco is such a tool. Not sure why people feed into him.
    1 0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Just like how most Football fans never made it to the NFL...
    0 0

The above post and all posts made by Destroyer are the ravings of a lunatic & meant for entertainment purposes only.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    People will criticize. How I take it depends on the spirit with which the critique is delivered. I'll put it in context. Still, if one has never done the whole deal... the training, the diet, the posing practice, the head game, tanning, the final prep week or so and then walked out on stage in front of a theater full of people and a panel of judges, wearing a shred of posing trunk and a number..... There is a gaping hole in your understanding of competitive bodybuilding.
    3 0

There is no substitute for experience

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by muscle_n_blood View Post
    People will criticize. How I take it depends on the spirit with which the critique is delivered. I'll put it in context. Still, if one has never done the whole deal... the training, the diet, the posing practice, the head game, tanning, the final prep week or so and then walked out on stage in front of a theater full of people and a panel of judges, wearing a shred of posing trunk and a number..... There is a gaping hole in your understanding of competitive bodybuilding.
    Sure, but the insecurities that push a lot of people to train then compete in the first place shine through as soon as someone takes a potshot at them

Consider who's giving the feedback...and remember that people only have as much power over you as you give them

- If ron paltrow tells me I'm looking big and lean, it means a lot more than some weirdo in the changeroom
    - Similarly if JO or MnB tells me to fix my front double pose, I'll be a lot more likely to make adjustments than if I hear 'your posing stinks' from a non-competitor

So...why does Mr.O need to abase himself by giving any airtime to criticism from an internet troll/hero?
    2 0

8. #8 Should Non-Bodybuilders Be Able to Critique Bodybuilders? (article) 
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    The more fans the more $$, the more $$ the better the sport becomes for those who do compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by destroyer; 04-26-2018 at 06:48 PM.
    0 0

The above post and all posts made by Destroyer are the ravings of a lunatic & meant for entertainment purposes only.