Thread: Squat Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Squat Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe 
    Hardcore Motherfu*kin' Hulk Mnemonic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Just thought I would share this with everyone, it's an excellent video detailing exactly where and how the bar should be positioned on your back.
    It's quite long, but it was all great information.

0 0

Reply With Quote   Send PM  

Hardcore To The Motherfu*kin' MAX Hulk! rhynoplanet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    I agree that we should place the bar in the lowest possible position that it is stable on your back, however I train for strength and not hypertrophy
    0 0

ISYMFS. Be strong and CONQUER all. Old man strength.

Hulking UP
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Always squatted with hands under, doubt i can place my arms the way he instructs without shoulder pain.
    0 0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jankauskas View Post
    Always squatted with hands under, doubt i can place my arms the way he instructs without shoulder pain.
    With hands under the shoulder in under more strain, with hands on top and inline there is less strain on shoulder. Just think, your shoulder has to have more flexibility to get your arms further back to be able to get your hands under the bar as opposed to on or over.
    1 0

Hulking UP
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynoplanet View Post
    With hands under the shoulder in under more strain, with hands on top and inline there is less strain on shoulder. Just think, your shoulder has to have more flexibility to get your arms further back to be able to get your hands under the bar as opposed to on or over.
    I worded poorly, what i ultimately meant to say is, the guys elbows are too bent and the hands too close to the shoulders, too "closed", almost like when your are shoulder pressing behind the neck, which is very wrong.

If I put my arms in the position the guy does in the video with the bar restingon his posterior delts basically, i will feel like my shoulders are going to pop out of the socket, thats what i meant to say.
    0 0

Roid Rager
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    All good in theory but then again nowhere near a necessity and will not effect how much you lift. Frankly the top squatters on the planet do not squat like this.
    1 0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homegym08 View Post
    All good in theory but then again nowhere near a necessity and will not effect how much you lift. Frankly the top squatters on the planet do not squat like this.
    Strongest squatters do use low bar position for squats. Maybe not the wrist ailment due to lack of mobility but definitively place the bar in a low bar position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    0 0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Every single lifter with wrist or elbow issues should watch this video. They should also apply this logic to every single one of their lifts whether it be squats or presses. Most of us would have no clue that squats of all things could be causing our wrist and elbow issues.

i wish I had this video 10 yeas ago.....it would have solved a lot of trial, error and frustration!

@ jank.......you need to work on your shoulder flexibility big time. That's not a shot......we all do. It's a huge issue for most guys.
    2 0

Hardcore Motherfu*kin' Hulk Mnemonic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by biguglynewf View Post
    Every single lifter with wrist or elbow issues should watch this video. They should also apply this logic to every single one of their lifts whether it be squats or presses. Most of us would have no clue that squats of all things could be causing our wrist and elbow issues.

i wish I had this video 10 yeas ago.....it would have solved a lot of trial, error and frustration!

@ jank.......you need to work on your shoulder flexibility big time. That's not a shot......we all do. It's a huge issue for most guys.
    Basically the reason for the post. I had quite a bit of shoulder/bicep/supraspinatus injury nonsense when I squatted heavy.
    While I may not mimic the example perfectly, it gave me a lot of insight as to where the arms should be and with reasoning why.
    My arms were way too vertical and taking too much weight.
    2 0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemonic View Post
    Basically the reason for the post. I had quite a bit of shoulder/bicep/supraspinatus injury nonsense when I squatted heavy.
    While I may not mimic the example perfectly, it gave me a lot of insight as to where the arms should be and with reasoning why.
    My arms were way too vertical and taking too much weight.
    Another way to take pressure off shoulders/bicep tendon is while grabbing the bar for squats place the pinky under the bar. Sounds weird but because it doesn't feel nice to push against bar holding this way makes you not do it and therefore takes the pressure off shoulder/bicep tendon. The three fingers and thumb wrap around the bar as normal and the pinky goes under.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast