Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What You Can Learn from a Gym loner (article)

1. #1 What You Can Learn from a Gym loner (article) 
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

What You Can Learn from a Gym loner
    By: Anders JP Eskilsson, December 28, 2017

I’m quite sure you have seen them while you have been training over the decades. They train alone, move slow and quietly between each exercise and hardly ever speak to anyone. They seem unimpressed by anything, rarely smile – sticking to their own business. I’ve seen them over the years; introverted; they don’t care about any flashy gym clothes; at many times covered up in hoodies, probably listening to thrash metal bands like Megadeath or Pantera.

When it’s time to put it some work behind the iron, the previous calmness implodes and transforms into a fury of power that can move extreme weight in a very strict way. Control is the thing – if you can’t control the weight, don’t lift it. There aren’t anyone doing it better than these guys. It always feels like they are one step ahead of everyone, they might not be the biggest guy around, but often the strongest.

Most of the times, they don’t compete, they just like the fundamentals of bodybuilding: getting stronger, eating clean and adding mass. Although, once or twice every second year or so, they might have been experimented with a diet they studied extremely well before implementing it. Probably academic literature because bro science from the net wouldn’t be good enough. After working hard throughout the prep, the shirt might come of, and boom an impressive freakin physique comes through.

They are timeless, unaffected by trends – and doesn’t have a clue who this or that “Instagram stars” are, simply because they couldn’t care less. It´s all business for these guys, no vanity – they are in the gym to do damage – to get stronger and bigger – nothing more, nothing less.

Boiled down there are a lot everyone can learn from the gym loners.

You don’t have to be ultra-social in the gym, just because you are around people with the same interests as you, or for that matter, snap selfies every minute just because you live in a social media society. It can actually benefit your physical progress by not carrying the phone into every freakin training session – and check the feed, like it or not – it will disturb your concentration in one way or another.

Instead the focus should be on the power within and future goals; and the deeper mental states of training – and aim for the endorphin release by challenging your strength through how much weight that can master.

The lonely bodybuilder can be a great contrast to realize that today’s society is way too ego-centric and t many times unhealthy. In some cases it seems like the value of a person is graduated by how many followers they got on social media…and not for who they really are or their work ethics in the gyms.

I personally think that it might be better to complicate things and maybe even be a bit introverted during career periods to reach the higher levels of potential. I’m not sure that Dorian Yates would have been so successful if he would have lived a more extroverted lifestyle while he was competing. The same thing goes with Phil Heath…but also like a lot of non-competitive bodybuilders, like the gym loner.
    5 0

Welcome to CJM, New User! - A Non-Official Guide to Your Potential Assimilation (click): http://canadianjuicemonsters.net/for...ad.php?t=53419

Read about my Incarceration (click): http://canadianjuicemonsters.net/for...ghlight=newark

Read about the History of CJM (click): http://canadianjuicemonsters.net/for...ad.php?t=40153

"People prefer to follow those that help them, not those who intimidate them."

-- Dr Juice
    Reply With Quote   What You Can Learn from a Gym loner (article) Send PM  

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    This is me for many years. I've hooked up with few training partners, and when I did, they were seriously serious. In 45 years in the gym, I've dated 2 women I actually met there
    0 0

There is no substitute for experience

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Sounds like me other then the hoodie. I overheat too easily.
    1 0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    I would classify myself as the person that article describes- especially the music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0 0

BANNED
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    I fit the description almost 100%. No training partner, no phone, no music, cheapest clothes I can find, barely talk to anyone.

It's just me and a stopwatch.
    0 0

Hard As They Come Hulk
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    I find those who train hard and train alone, not spending time on their phone or wasting the majority of time talking to be great and friendly individuals when you approach them.
    I have met a few over the years and we could have worked out for a year or four before we spoke, but they’ve mostly been nice and share a common passion.
    Except for one asshole I met...when I first started training and was a bit intimidated by him, I asked him one question or said hello and he was a total dick.
    Hopefully he isn’t around anymore. RIP Asshole.
    I sure would have liked to smash him in the face with a 10lb plate.
    0 0

Hardcore To The Motherfu*kin' MAX Hulk! No ego lifting's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtremely Anabolic View Post
    I find those who train hard and train alone, not spending time on their phone or wasting the majority of time talking to be great and friendly individuals when you approach them.
    I have met a few over the years and we could have worked out for a year or four before we spoke, but they’ve mostly been nice and share a common passion.
    Except for one asshole I met...when I first started training and was a bit intimidated by him, I asked him one question or said hello and he was a total dick.
    Hopefully he isn’t around anymore. RIP Asshole.
    I sure would have liked to smash him in the face with a 10lb plate.
    You're not making yourself sound so great there either.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    0 0

Hard As They Come Hulk
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    Lol. I’m just being honest.
    Probably the biggest jerk I have ever met. Made me feel like I was going to go no where in the gym.
    And the smashing in the face with a plate is an over reaction to explain how disrespectful he was. I used it to help get my point across that his ego was so high, that he probably thought he was a god.
    I just wrote what I was thinking at the time.
    0 0