Thread: Switching from strength to hypertrophy

1. #1 Switching from strength to hypertrophy 
    Hardcore To The Motherfu*kin' MAX Hulk! TS1's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    good evening all,

I just completed my 7 week strength program last week, which was a 3 on, 1 off, repeat, split with reps being in the range of 4 to 6 approx per set. I gained a good amount of strength as weight went up on all lifts (ie. 290 x 5 for 4 sets on flat bench)

This week is a free week whereby I head to the gym and do whatever I feel like doing.

Next week I will commence a 6 to 8 week hypertrophy routine, which will be 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, repeat, split with reps being between 8 to 15 (avg 12) reps per set.

Questions;
    1. During my hypertrophy phase should I (for larger muscle lifts such as flat bench, squat, deadlift, etc) throw in a lift that is heavy weight, low rep exercise a few days a week? The logic behind this would be to ensure strength is maintained when I start my next strength phase. OR do I not need to hit heavy weights in the low rep range as the increased rep & set workload (and consistently increasing poundage week after week) ensure that I can keep on hitting 290 x 5 on flat bench and then some when I get back to a strength program once hypertrophy has concluded?

2. I switched from training around 5pm to lifting at 7am, I have noticed for some exercises (specificallly, squat, bench, and deadlift) I have such decreased strength in the mornings now (I go mostly fasted). How does one get around this? I do know we peak in strength between 3 and 6pm ish, but at 7am I am gassed and weak af. Should I consume a heavy meal the night prior? but then I have food sitting in my gut. Or eat a massive brekkie, downside is I usually vomit a llittle in my mouth on squats when I eat a good sized meal before my workout.
    How do you guys handle or minimize strength loss during morning workouts?

thanks all.
    0 0

Dream big, work hard, and stay humble.
    Reply With Quote   Switching from strength to hypertrophy Send PM  

Hardcore To The Motherfu*kin' MAX Hulk! No ego lifting's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    My solution was simple. Don't work out in the morning. I can barely handle LISS first thing.

As for your other question, I typically pick one compound movement per day to go heavier on, 5-6 reps. Except legs, since my patellar tendons would explode if I tried that. Been doing that the last 5 months, and I've been really happy with it.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    1 0

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)
    1. When I train for hypertrophy, I like to start with a machine of some kind to get things moving, and then hit up ONE heavy exercise per muscle group for 5 x 5. From there I run the traditional 8 - 12 rep stuff after that... I tend to follow the same thing, and switch up the 'mains' every 3 weeks or so.

Example:

Chest:

Machine presses to get warm (I like to work up to a hard 12 reps... then pack it in.. usually 3 - 4 sets... don't make HUGE jumps)

Then start:

Flat Bench Press 5 x 5 <-- I make SURE to use around 80% - 85% of my 1RM here... and REALLY GRIND like a bastard.
    Incline DB Press 3 - 4 sets of 8 - 12 reps <-- This is all growth and pump... feels GREAT.
    Weighted Push ups 2 - 3 to failure <-- Same deal... I LOVE doing these.
    Pec Minor Dips 2 - 3 sets to failure <-- Love these as well

After 3 weeks I'll do the same, but maybe run incline presses instead of flat for 5 x 5. The rest I keep the same, or add variation.

The key for me is to get a rep RANGE... I prefer a range to train in, rather than a specific SET of reps. That way each set COUNTS. If it's too light and you just do 12 reps, and rack it... What's the point?? Equally... if you are tying to hit 12 reps and fag out after 8... it's too heavy... THIS way you're solid, and know you'll kill it each time.

I do the same with shoulders, however they usually follow chest and are warm, so I get right into it:

OHP - 5 x 5
    Side Laterals - 3 - 4 x 8 - 12
    Cable lateral raises - 2 - 3 x 8 - 12
    Reverse Peck Deck - 2 - 3 x 8 - 12

etc...

I switched to mornings cuz of a woman that trained there... I know... I'm SUCH a dude... and it LITERALLY TOOK ME 3 WEEKS before I got used to it. I would come in cranky AF EVERY morning... grumbling away... ALL my lifts were down 25%ish... it was shitty... BUT you get used to it.

SnowPatrol trains in the AM as well...

I'd NEVER go back... EVER... it's AMAZING... I LOVE training in the mornings. The people there are THERE to work... you don't get all the young bucks comin' in the AM... it's generally government workers, and serious lifters... it's GREAT.. and NOT busy... I LOVE it... My GF and I go, and we chat with our buddy Meg... she powerlifts. It's a GREAT time. Get all into a routine there...

*I* Personally have a BIG ASS shake @ 5:00am, hit the floor @ 6:30am, and I'm solid... The wife trains fasted... It's not too too bad...

I'll see if she'll chime in here...

Quote Originally Posted by TS1 View Post
    good evening all,

I just completed my 7 week strength program last week, which was a 3 on, 1 off, repeat, split with reps being in the range of 4 to 6 approx per set. I gained a good amount of strength as weight went up on all lifts (ie. 290 x 5 for 4 sets on flat bench)

This week is a free week whereby I head to the gym and do whatever I feel like doing.

Next week I will commence a 6 to 8 week hypertrophy routine, which will be 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, repeat, split with reps being between 8 to 15 (avg 12) reps per set.

Questions;
    1. During my hypertrophy phase should I (for larger muscle lifts such as flat bench, squat, deadlift, etc) throw in a lift that is heavy weight, low rep exercise a few days a week? The logic behind this would be to ensure strength is maintained when I start my next strength phase. OR do I not need to hit heavy weights in the low rep range as the increased rep & set workload (and consistently increasing poundage week after week) ensure that I can keep on hitting 290 x 5 on flat bench and then some when I get back to a strength program once hypertrophy has concluded?

2. I switched from training around 5pm to lifting at 7am, I have noticed for some exercises (specificallly, squat, bench, and deadlift) I have such decreased strength in the mornings now (I go mostly fasted). How does one get around this? I do know we peak in strength between 3 and 6pm ish, but at 7am I am gassed and weak af. Should I consume a heavy meal the night prior? but then I have food sitting in my gut. Or eat a massive brekkie, downside is I usually vomit a llittle in my mouth on squats when I eat a good sized meal before my workout.
    How do you guys handle or minimize strength loss during morning workouts?

thanks all.
    1 0

Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. -Henry Rollins.