What's new

3 Exercises That Need to Die (article)

Thread starter Admin #1

~Dr Juice~

Administrator

3 Exercises That Need to Die
By Matt Weik, June 27, 2018

There are certain exercises and types of workouts that have me shaking my head. Exercises that put the user in a terrible position that could cause serious injury, yet we see people doing them every day in the gym. With some wishful thinking, I’d love nothing more than to see these exercises die and never come back.

1. Behind-the-Head Lat Pull-down

I see it all the time. People loading up the weight on the lat pulldown and taking the path of the bar behind their head. It makes me cringe every time I see it. You are putting your rotator cuff in a very vulnerable position. One where it can cause some serious damage if you aren’t careful. You should always pull the weight in front of you to protect your rotator cuff and keep it healthy. With an injury to your rotator cuff, the quality of life you live today will be nothing like it can be with a rotator cuff injury. Don’t believe me? Ask someone who has a torn rotator cuff how easy it is to complete everyday tasks and I’m willing to bet they will tell you with a banged-up rotator cuff, everything is difficult.

2. Cardio with Weight Vests

Have you ever watched someone train with a weight vest on? Maybe they are running? Doing jumping jacks? Sprints maybe? Tell me, does their movement in any activity look natural or fluid to you? No? Then why would you think it would be a good idea to strap a weight to yourself and try to perform exercises? Weight vests limit your mobility, range of motion, and form. You end up putting excessive stress and unnatural pressure on your joints which long-term can cause you many issues with your hips, knees, and ankles. Save your joints by skipping cardio with a weight vest.

3. Back Hyperextensions

Ok, I honestly just got a chill thinking about this exercise. Coming from someone who has a bad lower back, take it from me that you want nothing to do with the limitations and pain that can come from this condition. Unfortunately, not many people do this exercise correctly on the hyperextension machine and they put a lot of stress on the spine and lower back (especially when they use an added weight). In an instant of doing this exercise incorrectly, you can create a lifetime of nagging, discomfort, and pain. Eliminate this exercise altogether and if you need something to help strengthen your lower back, consider Superman’s on the floor.

Jdave

Registered

3 Exercises That Need to Die
By Matt Weik, June 27, 2018

There are certain exercises and types of workouts that have me shaking my head. Exercises that put the user in a terrible position that could cause serious injury, yet we see people doing them every day in the gym. With some wishful thinking, I’d love nothing more than to see these exercises die and never come back.

1. Behind-the-Head Lat Pull-down

I see it all the time. People loading up the weight on the lat pulldown and taking the path of the bar behind their head. It makes me cringe every time I see it. You are putting your rotator cuff in a very vulnerable position. One where it can cause some serious damage if you aren’t careful. You should always pull the weight in front of you to protect your rotator cuff and keep it healthy. With an injury to your rotator cuff, the quality of life you live today will be nothing like it can be with a rotator cuff injury. Don’t believe me? Ask someone who has a torn rotator cuff how easy it is to complete everyday tasks and I’m willing to bet they will tell you with a banged-up rotator cuff, everything is difficult.

2. Cardio with Weight Vests

Have you ever watched someone train with a weight vest on? Maybe they are running? Doing jumping jacks? Sprints maybe? Tell me, does their movement in any activity look natural or fluid to you? No? Then why would you think it would be a good idea to strap a weight to yourself and try to perform exercises? Weight vests limit your mobility, range of motion, and form. You end up putting excessive stress and unnatural pressure on your joints which long-term can cause you many issues with your hips, knees, and ankles. Save your joints by skipping cardio with a weight vest.

3. Back Hyperextensions

Ok, I honestly just got a chill thinking about this exercise. Coming from someone who has a bad lower back, take it from me that you want nothing to do with the limitations and pain that can come from this condition. Unfortunately, not many people do this exercise correctly on the hyperextension machine and they put a lot of stress on the spine and lower back (especially when they use an added weight). In an instant of doing this exercise incorrectly, you can create a lifetime of nagging, discomfort, and pain. Eliminate this exercise altogether and if you need something to help strengthen your lower back, consider Superman’s on the floor.
Not sure how I feel about this article - behind neck pull downs- or presses for that matter- vary from person to person. Everyone’s body is built slightly differently- so even if the shoulder socket and rotator cuff assembly may be (for the most part) similar, I think individual differences still allow some people to do this pain free without developing a shoulder mobility or impingement issue or tendon degradation. Also starting light and working your way up to a moderate - but still no where near the same weight as a regular pull down/press- never causes me any issue. I rotate these in when I cycle “wet” anabolic because of the lubrication I get with a slighter higher e2 profile.

Weighted vests... I feel the “awkward movement” or compromised range of motion is dependent on the vest.
Besides, even if they’re not talking about weighted pull ups or dips I would certainly say a weight hanging off a dip belt or pull-up belt (that’s not centered on your mass and may even be swinging) isn’t as ideal as a nice compact weighted vest.

Back extensions.... not sure how much damage a bodyweight back extension can do unless you have a pre existing a injury or are experiencing AAS back pumps. But I see where they’re coming from - I remember the fad back in the day for pulling conventional deadlifts was to over exaggerate full hip extension by locking out or “popping” the hips forward so that the lower back was almost at hyperextension... that will DEFINITELY compress your lower spine. It was stupid and I don’t know why people did it. Fuck... I don’t know why I did it for that matter other than it was the most up to date bro-science literature at the time lol.
I do glute emphasis back extension where the back is actually rounded forward and relaxed, the pad is moved lower and the hinge is at the glute and I focus on flexing the glute. This in turn also protects the lower back - we’ve heard how firing the glute will protect the lower back... it’s much stronger and bigger than the lower back- IT should be doing most of the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sorbate

Registered
Not sure how I feel about this article - behind neck pull downs- or presses for that matter- vary from person to person. Everyone’s body is built slightly differently- so even if the shoulder socket and rotator cuff assembly may be (for the most part) similar, I think individual differences still allow some people to do this pain free without developing a shoulder mobility or impingement issue or tendon degradation. Also starting light and working your way up to a moderate - but still no where near the same weight as a regular pull down/press- never causes me any issue. I rotate these in when I cycle “wet” anabolic because of the lubrication I get with a slighter higher e2 profile.

Weighted vests... I feel the “awkward movement” or compromised range of motion is dependent on the vest.
Besides, even if they’re not talking about weighted pull ups or dips I would certainly say a weight hanging off a dip belt or pull-up belt (that’s not centered on your mass and may even be swinging) isn’t as ideal as a nice compact weighted vest.

Back extensions.... not sure how much damage a bodyweight back extension can do unless you have a pre existing a injury or are experiencing AAS back pumps. But I see where they’re coming from - I remember the fad back in the day for pulling conventional deadlifts was to over exaggerate full hip extension by locking out or “popping” the hips forward so that the lower back was almost at hyperextension... that will DEFINITELY compress your lower spine. It was stupid and I don’t know why people did it. Fuck... I don’t know why I did it for that matter other than it was the most up to date bro-science literature at the time lol.
I do glute emphasis back extension where the back is actually rounded forward and relaxed, the pad is moved lower and the hinge is at the glute and I focus on flexing the glute. This in turn also protects the lower back - we’ve heard how firing the glute will protect the lower back... it’s much stronger and bigger than the lower back- IT should be doing most of the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The issue with behind the neck anything is noobs do it, overload themselves in an unsafe fashion and hurt themselves.
Someone with experience will likely not hurt themselves doing so, because the days of ego lifting and showing off for the most part are over.

I agree with you in the other two points though.