What's new

5 Red Wines to Impress the Laydeez

Thread starter Admin #1

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
5 Red Wines to Impress the Laydeez
By: Dr Juice, March 22, 2018

There comes a time when even us knuckle draggin' cretins need to impress a lady, or laydeez, and one of the surefire ways to accomplish that task is to be able to pick out a good bottle of wine. Now I'm a red wine drinker myself, and a pretty big one at that, I admit. I mainly stick to Cabernet Sauvignons, cause frankly they impress me, and the laydeez, all the same. One rule of thumb I stick to is to choose reds from, in no particular order, Chili, Argentina, California, and lastly Australia. Don't ask me why, but trust my judgement. Honestly there just the best regions, I have found, for premium tasting juicy and fruity reds.

I have chosen 5 of the best reds that have never failed to let me down. Four of them are Cab. Savs. while the last is a super cheap Portuguese red blend that even the cheapest of the cheap Monster can afford and not look like a complete vino-idiot and scolded. Or worse, being dispatched to the couch in the living room and having to use the dog's bed as a pillow while you drink away your sorrows that remain in that crappy bottle of red you brought home. Don't ask I've been there.

So lets get on with it then. Here are five tested-and-true relatively affordable reds, 4 Cab. Savs. and 1 Red Blend, THAT YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH. If you do, send me your lady's full address and I shall come share a bottle of red with her for a 2nd tasting review (for social research purposes only of course.) If I fail to change her mind on a 2nd tasting it's obviously, and most likely, you that is the problem ;)

1. Irony Cabernet Sauvignon 2014

Winemaker Notes
Irony North Coast Cabernet Sauvignon opens with enticing aromas of boysenberry, black cherry and cassis, with a hint of cedar notes. This medium-bodied wine delivers dark berry flavors, mixed with layers of chocolate covered black cherries and baking spice. Lush fruit, a balanced profile and bold, dusty tannins make this wine a perfect match for roast beef tenderloin, penne pasta with Italian sausage or even chocolate cake.

Price in B.C.: $26.99

2. Cabernet-Sauvignon St-Francis Sonoma Californie 2014

Winemaker Notes
For four decades the St. Francis Winery & Vineyards has been producing high quality wines on over 160-hectare of land. This Cabernet sauvignon is a robust wine kept 18 months in barrels from the Sonoma region before final blending and bottling. What you get is a beautifully balanced wine with rich fruit flavors of dark plum and cherry pie, chocolate, cassis and vanilla.

Price in B.C.: $30.99

3. Cannonball Cabernet Sauvignon 2014

Winemaker Notes
This will be a hit at the upscale summer BBQ you've been planning. It's dark plum, almost opaque, with an inviting nose of coffee, chocolate, and strawberry. It's full bodied, with flavours of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and cherry peeking around a wall of firm, well-integrate tannins. The vanilla and coffee linger through the finish reminiscent of café au lait. Enjoy it alongside medium-rare BBQ steak, with a dab of spicy steak sauce on the side. Score - 4.5 Stars (out of 5). (Dave Isaacs, winecurrent.com, March 13, 2017)

Price in B.C.: $26.49

4. Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaker Notes
The Cabernet Sauvignon opens with classic aromas of black cherry, plum and violets, followed by subtle flavours of strawberry and allspice and undertones of charred sandalwood, black peppercorn, eucalyptus and a dash of cinnamon. Firm yet supple tannins finish off this approachable fruit-driven Cabernet Sauvignon, making it ideal for a variety of food.

Price in B.C.: $19.99

5. BONUS WINE -- SETUBAL - JOSE MARIA DA FONSECA PERIQUITA (Blend)

Winemaker Notes
Ruby red colour; dried cherry, plum and spice aromas with leathery/herbal notes; dry, full bodied, with raspberry flavours with fine balancing acidity and firm tannins and a medium-long finish.

Price in B.C.: $8.99 - $9.99

HONOURABLE MENTIONS
The following wines are VERY good but I haven't been able to find them here in B.C. with any frequency. See if you can find them in your neck-of-the-woods and you won't be disappointed

1. Souverain -- Cabernet Sauvignon 2008
2. Sebastiani -- Cabernet Sauvignon 2014

I'm off to an AA meeting in 20 minutes haha. I used to smash with that liberty school quite often though. I confirm you can really impress with that one for just $20. In the USA its only like $10

Last edited:

biguglynewf

Super Moderator
That liberty schoolhouse is the best 20 dollar wine I’ve found to date. Versatile too.

Stags leap is a pretty tasty california cab as well. It will set you back around 55 cdn though.

lastly..... and I shouldn’t tell you this one doc....... Calabretta Etna Rosso Nerello Mascalese 2003 (if you can find it and it’s still drinkable)2006-7 is nothing to sneeze at....delicious. About 25-35usd per bottle. I haven’t found this here. You either have to get it through a broker or go to the US. This wine will kick you in the face. Maybe it’s the fact it’s Sicilian.....lol. Probably that grape.... don’t find a lot of Nerello Mascalese around but maybe I’m not looking hard enough. It holds up to game and is great with beef. Pair it with rare or med rare lamb chops though..... I don’t even like fucking lamb....but goddamn!

definitely no wine connoisseur here.... but I can tell what I like vs what I don’t.

That liberty schoolhouse is the best 20 dollar wine I’ve found to date. Versatile too.

Stags leap is a pretty tasty california cab as well. It will set you back around 55 cdn though.

lastly..... and I shouldn’t tell you this one doc....... Calabretta Etna Rosso Nerello Mascalese 2003 (if you can find it and it’s still drinkable)2006-7 is nothing to sneeze at....delicious. About 25-35usd per bottle. I haven’t found this here. You either have to get it through a broker or go to the US. This wine will kick you in the face. Maybe it’s the fact it’s Sicilian.....lol. Probably that grape.... don’t find a lot of Nerello Mascalese around but maybe I’m not looking hard enough. It holds up to game and is great with beef. Pair it with rare or med rare lamb chops though..... I don’t even like fucking lamb....but goddamn!

definitely no wine connoisseur here.... but I can tell what I like vs what I don’t.
Ok I am definitely going to try this Liberty School. Where is it from and what year is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Admin #7

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
Ok I am definitely going to try this Liberty School. Where is it from and what year is this?

-- I think it was biguglynewf whom turned me onto Liberty School in the first place. It is very good and is THE best Cab. Sav. for $20 or less imo. I've turned a lot of people onto it since. Liberty School recently updated the logo on their labels to a more modern look (as pictured above). It's available in virtually every liquor store I visit and can be found in the 'California Section'. It's readily available as I mention and doesn't matter so much as to which year you purchase, I've found every year to be equally satisfying.

biguglynewf

Super Moderator

m

Paso Robles California.

its in the vintage section of the lcbo with the other California’s. (If you’re in ON sir) It’s a high runner so there’s usually lots in stock. They also have a Pinot noir and a Zinfandel but the cab is the best from them I think. J Lohr is another good California cab as well at the 20 dollar price range. Definitely worth a go as well!

Thread starter Admin #9

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
-- If you get the chance BUN try that first one listed, Irony. It's sold in the most luxurious hotel here in Victoria B.C. (The Empress Hotel) for, last time I checked, $15 per glass!! A very good Cab. Sav. and I think you'll agree. I enjoy it immensely.

Thread starter Admin #11

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
Same here. I avoid alcohol at all costs but drink a glass of Champagne around Xmas or New Year.
-- You don't have to break the bank with Dom Perignon or Bollinger either. I suggest giving Italian Prosecco a try. My other half is Italian and so we drink a barrel of this at every family gathering. At $20 CDN a bottle, or less, you can't go wrong. Makes for a great base in a prepared punch as well. Look for either of these:

1. LAMARCA - PROSECCO

2. BEATO BARTOLOMEO BREGANZE - PROSECCO EXTRA DRY

-- You don't have to break the bank with Dom Perignon or Bollinger either. I suggest giving Italian Prosecco a try. My other half is Italian and so we drink a barrel of this at every family gathering. At $20 CDN a bottle, or less, you can't go wrong. Makes for a great base in a prepared punch as well. Look for either of these:

1. LAMARCA - PROSECCO

2. BEATO BARTOLOMEO BREGANZE - PROSECCO EXTRA DRY
My British lady friends (crazy cat ladies like me) love Prosecco. I might have a glass next time we have afternoon tea :)