What's new

Adaptogens - dealing with various external forms of stress

Goldenrod

Rookie

Physical stress, insomnia, anxiety, etc. - worth looking into.
That being said, they are not a quick fix. Just my experience - but two weeks in noticed a difference in how my body and mind were dealing with stressful situations. Ashwaghanda and ginseng are too of the more popular. There are not doubt better products out there, but Natural Factors Serenity, is a reasonably priced product with 4 knows adaptogens.

Jdave

Rookie
I’ve tried ashagwanda for insomnia but it didn’t do anything - I think I went through a couple bottles of the stuff.

Regardless I’m pretty interested. I’ll read through there since I have been looking for anything to cure my insomnia and I’m getting sick of the psycho active effects of weed and I’m actually kinda worried about how much more and more I’m needing to fall asleep and the long term mental side effects it may be having to my personality and memory.

Goldenrod

Rookie
Hi @Jdave - I find multiple herbs, for the synergistic affects, work better than one alone. I think I mentioned serenity By natural factors before to you but I’m sure there are better out there. Mediherb withania is another option but is much more expensive but the local naturopaths say it is probably the best company. Who knows - they want to sell more expensive products.
Further, you have to give it a decent run of a month at least. If your body is going into flight or fight (you may not even know it), adaptogens will help control the stress hormones. It’s hard to believe but when I was younger and had a sleep study done, they discovered my body was constantly going to flight or fight.
I hope this helps - talk to your doctor as they may be able to help.

manfreakyca

Rookie
stress is a mother fucker!! ive dealt with many forms of it divorce work stress relsp stress family stress financial stress thank God for the gym and my workouts and supps!!

Bigtuna84

Vet
Terrific post @Goldenrod

There’s a few supplements I’d like to add to manage stress/chronically elevated cortisol

1. Phosphatidylserene - 2g a day in divided doses
2. Adaptogenic herbs (as mentioned above) - panax ginseng, rhodiola, ashwaganda, eleutherococcus
3. Cytokine support - resveratrol, pycnogenol, green tea extract
4. Neurotransmitter GABA support - taurine, valerian root, passion flower, L-theanine

Goldenrod

Rookie
Terrific post @Goldenrod

There’s a few supplements I’d like to add to manage stress/chronically elevated cortisol

1. Phosphatidylserene - 2g a day in divided doses
2. Adaptogenic herbs (as mentioned above) - panax ginseng, rhodiola, ashwaganda, eleutherococcus
3. Cytokine support - resveratrol, pycnogenol, green tea extract
4. Neurotransmitter GABA support - taurine, valerian root, passion flower, L-theanine
A few small studies show Passion flower to hit the same gaba receptors as benzodiazepine medications (Ativan, clonozapam, etc.). I found valerian made me tired, best for sleep but Passion flower was good for stress when needing to say alert.