What's new

Alternate Protein

Thread starter #1

asashouryu

Registered
Hello All.

Someone had mentioned the other day about Shrimp.
It got me thinking about the sources of protein that I eat. I get tired of chicken REALLY fast in North America, since we've bred all the flavour out of our chickens.
You have to search and get hand raised/free range Chickens to really get any sort of flavour these days. (in Alberta we can find Hudderite chicken...and it's pretty good, if not slightly more expensive).

Anyway - I thought I would post some of the other/strange/less typical protein sources I enjoy on a regular basis as I think some people might not know or might not think about eating them. I eat a LOT of fish and seafood, most of which I buy frozen in bulk so cost isn't too bad. In fact on a serving by serving basis it's sometimes even cheaper than the usual chicken/pork/beef!

Shrimp (per 100 grams) 99 calories
Total fat - .3g
Protein - 24g
Carbs - .2g

Scallops (per 100 grams) 95 calories
Total fat - .5g
Protein - 18g
Carbs - 5.2g

Squid (Per 100 g either pre-cut in rings, or whole, or even just legs or if you go to an asian market you can get it as shredded jerky) 175 calories
Total fat - 7g
Protein - 18
Carbs - 8g

Cod (per 100g) 82 calories
Total fat - 1g
Protein - 18g
Carbs - 0g

Swordfish (per 100g) 155 calories
Total fat - 5.1g
Protein - 25.4g
Carbs - 0g
Super meaty and delicious, but since swordfish is an Apex predator, like bluefin tuna, it's Mercury content can be a bit on the high side, so best to limit consumption to 1 or 2 servings per month.

Kangaroo Steak (per 100g) 100 calories
Total fat - 1.4g
Protein - 21g
Carbs - 0.2g
(this is a bit rare to find, but VERY delicious and super lean. It's a bit gamey so needs to be LIBERALLY rubbed with pepper/garlic or other strong spices before grilling/preparing)

Ostrich Tenderloin Steak (per 100g) 123 calories
Total Fat - 3.2g
Protein - 22.1g
Carbs - 0
(SUPER tasty and tender meat. It tastes like more "beefy" beef, with a more lean and more juicy/soft texture.)

Beef Heart (per 100g) 109 Calories
Total Fat - 3.9g
Protein - 17.1g
Carbs - 0.1
(another great entry into the "more beefy beef" catagory, PLUS you get the added bonus of it being far and away cheaper than just about any other cut of beef from the cow!)

Hemp Hearts (per 30g)
Total Fat - 13g
Protein - 10g
Carbs - 3g
(This is a great addition to your diet if you can find it/afford it as it gets pretty pricey, but I like adding them to shakes or to my oatmeal in the morning)

biguglynewf

Super Moderator
Ostrich is delicious. I ate a lot of it when I was in SA. That and about 15 types of antelope. If you ever have the opportunity to try Kudu.... do it!

Stop eating animals ... I get my protein from tofu, seitan, chick peas, beans, hemp, only to name a few, many choices there.

Thread starter #6

asashouryu

Registered
Stop eating animals ... I get my protein from tofu, seitan, chick peas, beans, hemp, only to name a few, many choices there.
Not ever going to happen.
Sorry.
I do add vegetable and legume sources of protein as well because I like variety in my diet but I will never stop eating animal sourced protein. And that might eventually turn into bugs/grubs/crickets as it will eventually become more sustainable but I gotta have my meats!

Last edited:
I could never give up meats!Funny as a kid i eat steak my mom said i would keep in my mouth like a squirrel not swallow it!! But shit now love steak and all meats.i had bison i think spaghetti sauce it was a Venison dish one time at this italian restaurant best meal i had with noodles!!meat makes me feel full n strong!! I dont kill cats i eat pussy by the way!!

Thread starter #8

asashouryu

Registered
I forgot a couple others:

Octopus (whether legs, or baby octopus)
Per 100g - 82 calories
Total Fat - 1.04 g
Protein - 14.91 g
Carb - 2.2

Bison/Buffalo (per 100g)
TOtal Fat - 1.37g
Protein - 20.39g
Carbs - 0g

Crocodile - Tail Filet (per 100g) 106 Calories
Total Fat - 2g
Protein - 23g
Carbs - 0g

Mnemonic

Registered
I'm currently on a plant-based diet. It's just that I have several intermediaries to process it for me into beef, bacon and chicken before I consume it. ;)

I need to find a good cheap source of shrimp for some stir-fry or pasta.
Some shrimp bacon carbonara sounds like heaven right now.

Thread starter #11
I'm currently on a plant-based diet. It's just that I have several intermediaries to process it for me into beef, bacon and chicken before I consume it. ;)

I need to find a good cheap source of shrimp for some stir-fry or pasta.
Some shrimp bacon carbonara sounds like heaven right now.
Frozen is the best way to go, and don’t be afraid of shrimp rings! (sometimes they go on sale for stuuuuuupid cheap)

Costco man.
All the way.
Or superstore is also pretty good, just keep your eyes peeled for when it goes on sale and stock up!