What's new

An In-depth Look at SARMS

Bigtuna

Super Moderator
An In-depth Look at SARMS
By Bigtuna84 for CJM

Introduction
Some of the topics I will cover include some of the SARM’s I find most interesting. I will touch a bit on the clinical trials. What we know SO FAR in terms of benefits, side effects and proper use/dosing.

And just for fun I’ll add a couple of other research chemicals that I consider important.

What is a SARM ?
A SELECTIVE ANDROGEN MODULATOR

Mechanisms of SARM’s
They are selective to muscles and bones as they do the following:

1. Navigate to muscles and bones to a greater extent

2. Muscles and bones may have more sensors for them

3. Activate androgen receptors but are chemically different from steroids

4. Being nonsteroidal, SARMs are not substrates for 5 alpha-reductase or CYP19 aromatase, which prevents their conversion to testosterone

1. RAD140/Testolone

The purpose of RAD140 was to create an anabolic without negatives like testosterone on the prostate. Since its a SARM it doesnt directly affect our hormone system.

So what is RAD140 and why is this one particular interesting?
RAD140 is basically a very androgenic testosterone or anabolic DHT without the negative binding affinity for prostate androgen receptors. Doesnt sound that special but it makes a huge difference when used correctly.

Here is the science behind the "goodness" of RAD140. I will try to break it down as easy as possible so every athlete on here can gain knowledge and doesnt have to read a gazillion words that are just fillers.

How does RAD140 work?
Since RAD140 binds to the DHT receptors in skeletal muscles the most it is considered to be a very potent SARM. its a bit more anabolic than testosterone and works in synergy with testosterone. The basic science is that it blocks the DHT receptors in the prostate and reduces DHT induced sides. Alot of folks who used it (including myself) can report that even on insange dosages of AAS acne, hair shedding and prostate enlargment were significantly smaller than without RAD140.

Now side effects aside, here is the interesting part about this SARM. Since it blocks the DHT receptors in the prostate (aka renders them pretty useless/downregulates the receptors sensitivity) more "free" dht is available, which of course leads to more pronounced DHT effects.

Why is a huge DHT pool good for an athlete using hormones?
Well DHT is sooooo often overlooked and everyone should look at it from a different point of view. Dont base it on it androgen/anabolic rating. Most people tend to forget we have alot of hormones that factor in muscle growth! The easiest explaination is the following: DHT makes you masculine. Not only bodywise but also mental. Think of the mental part as a result of pathways that are commonly overlooked. DHT is very CNS stimulating.

So what that transitions to is something I like to simplify as creating a demand for more masculinity (not only mental but this time muscle related) What basically happens, your body starts to think youre in puberty again (most likely with blood values 2-3x the range) Simple logic now: Puberty resulted in growth, plain and simple. The feedback loop involves igf,gh secretion and most importantly satelitte cell recruitement.

Thats the most important part about high DHT levels. Alot of you know that DHT upregulates Androgen receptors both in quantity but also in sensitivity (more than other steroids) So what basically happens is a kind of vortex inside the muscle. Receptors are getting filled, the demand is higher than the receptors that are available, receptors upregulate. Now this is the norm with DHT.

Now on top of all of that add RAD140 what lowers the sides of DHT, works in synergy with test (upregulates DHT since the free DHT is not bound by prostate receptors = more DHT from test alone) and works even better with masteron aka real DHT.

Use:
10-20mg per day

Effective for:
Strength gain
Fat loss

2. Ostarine/ MK2866/ Enobosarm

What is Ostarine?
Ostarine was originally developed to be a therapeutic aid for muscle wasting caused by cancer. It’s also recognized as being the only SARM to have undergone human trial testing on multiple occasions. Ostarine’s claim to fame however was in the bodybuilding community in the early 2000’s when the research data was available to the public.

How does Ostarine work?
It binds to specific androgen receptors in muscle and skeletal tissues. Androgen receptors have the ability to receive data regarding hormones = DHT, testosterone and estrogen. Via this pathway of stimulating androgen receptors, Ostarine impersonates the actions of exogenous testosterone in the body.

And most importantly, it is suppressive!

So that being said, this SARM is pretty basic. I’d consider it on par with a mild testosterone cycle without the estrogen and DHT related side affects

Some interesting points about Ostarine:

Better bone/joint and tendon health:

Testosterone protects bones and as we age this decreases significantly. Ostarine improves bone strength and density.

Better lipid profile:

Ostarine lowers LDL and triglycerides. However it has been linked to lowering (good cholesterol) HDL levels.

Insulin resistance:

Improved insulin residence and reduces blood sugar levels.

Use:
10-30mg per day

Effective for:
Lean muscle building
Strength training
Joint and bone health

3. LGD- 4033/Ligandrol

What is LGD?
LGD-4033 like Ostarine was developed with the goal of reducing muscle wasting in people with muscular dystrophy, the elderly, and in cancer patients. Realizing that these drugs may also increase bone strength and healing, studies began to take a peak into their potential to improve bone diseases like osteoporosis.

How does LGD-4033 work?
Like all SARMS, LGD binds selectively to androgen receptors in muscle and skeletal tissue. It raises anabolic activity in the muscles and bones while reducing muscle wasting and bone breakdown.

What we know so far?
In clinical trials, LGD 4033 increased lean body mass and strength, decreased body fat, improved sense of wellbeing, and enhanced the healing process. However, the doses and goals of clinical studies differ from its real-world use in the bodybuilding community.

The clinical trials showed that LGD 4033 can cause mild suppression. It suppressed testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin, and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). Luteinizing hormone (LH) levels were not affected. Hormone levels returned to normal after stopping treatment

LGD 4033 did prove tissue selectivity when it comes to the vital organs in this trial. It didn’t alter hemoglobin levels, prostate-specific antigens, liver enzymes , or heart rate.

Use:
10-25mg per day

Effective for:
Increase strength
Lean muscle building
Bone and joint health

4. Andarine/S-4

S4 or Andarine was one of the first worthwhile SARMS developed.

What do we know?
Clinical trials showed Andarine shed water held in fat, especially apparent in subcutaneous tissue. Some note worthy side effects on this one includes vision disruption, yellow tint and night blindness. However, THESE ARE NOT PERMANENT and are not severe or guaranteed sides either as the responses are highly individualized.

Use:
25-100mg per day

Effective for:
Increasing vascularity
Decreasing water weight
Strength increase
Cutting fat

5. YK-11

What is YK-11?
One of the newest SARMS, based out of Japan originally.

What do we know?
Its most notable function is as a myostatin inhibitor. Most SARMs stimulate muscle growth by attaching to and activating androgen receptors. The vast majority of SARMs are full androgen receptor agonists, as they elicit a maximal response of the AR upon occupation. On the other hand, partial agonists activate the androgen receptor with only partial efficacy and may even display some antagonistic activity. What makes YK11 unusual is its effect on myostatin. Myostatin is a myokine, a protein produced and released by myocytes that acts on muscle cells. autocrine function to inhibit myogenesis: muscle cell growth and differentiation.

How does YK-11 work?
It works by increasing production of Follistatin. Follistatin is a potent antagonist of myostatin. In the presence of Follistatin, myostatin cannot inhibit muscle growth. This effect actually isnt unique, as many steroids function as myostatin inhibitors to one degree or another. However, what is unique is the potency with which YK11 works to combat this muscle destroying molecule. In one study, YK11 was shown to increase Follistatin production several times higher than DHT, which is itself a potent inhibitor of myostatin.

Side effects? Yep YK-11 is hepatoxic

Use:
Doses range from 2 to 15mg, I advise 8-12 in short blasts. Be smart, use it to gain muscle and strength quickly.

Effective for:
Lean muscle building
Increase in strength

Other note worthy research chemicals (non suppressive)

6. SR9009/Stenabolic

What is SR9009?
It is NOT A SARM. It is a research chemical designed to study the circadian rhythm aka your sleep/awake cycle.

How does it work?
It causes mitochondrial biogenesis. Increased exercise capacity and spontaneous muscle growth/conditioning. Some people do not respond to this one, and to others its a home run drug, they become leaner and larger than theyve ever been before.

What do we know?
Clinical trials on mice showed reduction in total cholesterol and triglycerides, increased endurance, decrease in inflammation, decrease in tissue damage in liver.

Bottom line there hasn’t been any human trials so going based off this is like a crap shoot. Again, first hand experience has been dictated by the bodybuilding community.

Use:
10-30mg per day

Effective for:
Increase muscle endurance
Fat loss

7. GW501516/Cardarine

What is Cardarine?
Cardarine is NOT A SARM. It is a PPAR agonist which means it works via that pathway.

What do we know?
In clinical trials, Cardarine showed improved lipids/heart health with potential to reverse type 2 diabetes.

A 2 year study on human cell lines confirmed that it does NOT cause cancer. The test that originally spotted cancer in rats only looked for a certain type of gene activation and cellular activity, which is the exact kind of activity that GW generates. There is also no reason to believe that this type of activation in human cells would cause cancer.

Now that that is out of the way, GW is an incredible endurance drug. Effects are seen the same day as the first dose and continue to build, with or without training stimulus. At a higher dose it is also a slight mitochondrial uncoupler similar to DNP, meaning it increases calorie expenditure and body heat on its own.

Use:
10-15mg for endurance, 15-25mg for extra weight loss with the endurance.

Effective for:
Increased endurance
Fat loss

End Note: In summary, every SARM is suppressive to the hpta axis. All of these compounds are research chemicals at best we still do not know the effects of long term use so they should be treated with respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jdave

Official CJM Suck Baby
Thank you for pointing out the Cardarine sarm misnomer - would be worth adding Mk677 as a “non-sarm” as it’s repeatedly called one (it acts on the grehlin receptor if I recall correct)

Another great thread- worthy of a sticky?

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
-- Well done. Thanks for taking the time to write this SARM information up Tuna! We've needed an easy-to-follow guide here on CJM and this aims to fill the bill. When I get a chance I'll give it the "Monster" format and sticky it in an appropriate place for all to see (y)

66Chevy

Super Moderator
I was very very skeptical of Sarms until I actually gave them a run. Best to give them a run while you are OFF Cycle.

You will be pleasantly surprised...

- PacMan
I've been wondering the same thing the past few years....still worthwhile to run while on trt dose I assume?

Bigtuna

Super Moderator
Once or twice a year max, SARMS can be a nice add on/ another compound that you stack to a cycle. I will incorporate them during a cycle in the OFF SEASON to upregulate every pathway of cell proliferation and migration possible.

Mtl1420

Rookie
About YK-11

Use:
Doses range from 2 to 15mg, I advise 8-12 in short blasts. Be smart, use it to gain muscle and strength quickly.

Innovagen make a injectable version of yk-11 , if I take 10mg\day during my cycle to try the effect on myostatin , for how long should I take it ?

does anyone here ever try yk-11? and has comments on the products

3ml

VET
Great post
I’m curious if adding Rad140 to a cycle with test, primo and winstrol would make a pronounced difference in allowing better use of DHT

Affliction79

Seasoned Pork-Chop
Seasoned VET
Some questions for you tuna.
-RAD140, have you noticed any hair loss on it?
-How long can you run a cycle of RAD140?
-YK-11 and SR9009, Ive been told they do not work orally. Would an injectable version of these compounds be a better option? I had good results from inj yk11. Whats his nuts Tony Huge had an inj stenabolic product that I heard worked excellent too!

Bigtuna

Super Moderator
@Affliction79

1. I’ve been bald for a long time so it’s hard me to record hairloss sides. But from what I’ve seen in my circle, since it blocks DHT receptors in prostate and reduces DHT sides, hairloss is minimal when using rad vs someone taking masteron WITHOUT rad - adding rad actually improved hairloss - this is why I always say SARMS are meant to be combined with AAS.

2. Never stay on the same SARM for more than 4-5 weeks.

3. I have experimented with custom formula of injectable sr9009 subQ the injections were quite painful. Had great results with injectable YK11 I would definitely go that route again.

4. also want to note, tony huge is a fucking tool

Affliction79

Seasoned Pork-Chop
Seasoned VET
@Affliction79

1. I’ve been bald for a long time so it’s hard me to record hairloss sides. But from what I’ve seen in my circle, since it blocks DHT receptors in prostate and reduces DHT sides, hairloss is minimal when using rad vs someone taking masteron WITHOUT rad - adding rad actually improved hairloss - this is why I always say SARMS are meant to be combined with AAS.

3. I have experimented with custom formula of injectable sr9009 subQ the injections were quite painful. Had great results with injectable YK11 I would definitely go that route again.

Thank you and especially on point 4 :)

3ml

VET
@Affliction79

What is the reason for staying on Sarms for only a short duration??
Thx

PeptidesPrionsProtein

Lightweight
I’m at the latter end of my RAD run (week 5) and I can say that its effect has definitely plateaued. It seems like weeks 3-4 were the sweet spot. I haven’t noticed much hair loss if any, although I am on MK677 which could be blunting the potential hairloss induced from RAD

Anvil

VET
Excellent thread! I've always been a little skeptical about these compounds. I appreciate the effort you put into this post.
Thank You!

encon101

Rookie
Once or twice a year max, SARMS can be a nice add on/ another compound that you stack to a cycle. I will incorporate them during a cycle in the OFF SEASON to upregulate every pathway of cell proliferation and migration possible.
What SARMS would you recommend for female use? My gf is interesting in using rad140 but I couldn’t find too much trust worthy info online

Bigtuna

Super Moderator
@encon101 the two things I prep women on are:
1.GH
2.LGD Cycled

Thats about it. Maybe a low dose var, but only if the tolerance is there.

Women need good nutrition and someone who knows how to manipulate estrogen into the right areas at the right time.

2ius GH, 5-8mg LGD maybe 10, thats all you need.

Last edited:
Top Bottom