What's new

Any Calves tips

Sorbate

Registered
You know when I got obsessed with trying to grow my calves the easiest way possible, I started to pay attention to the people with the largest calves and noticed a few things.
I noticed 2 big things that effect it (mind you I was observing untrained average people.

1. If they were obese or are obese, but still move around like a average person, they have monster calves.
2. If the person walks around on their toes, and yes it looks really odd, they usually have huge calves.

Of course genetics play a role, but after looking at hundreds of average persons this is what I noticed,

I did something in the ankle joint of my left foot and it didn’t feel right and couldn’t train heavy at all.
So eod on my last exercise of the day, so 4 sets, I grab 30 lb dumbells and on the ground do standing calve raises for as many reps as I can. So 50 then 50.
I have noticed a difference in my calves just in the last couple of weeks.

There is a 50+ year old woman at my local gym.
She uses stairmaster everyday. She had a tire shaped mid section. But her legs are so toned. And her calfs will put anyone in the gym to shame. It’s actually unbelievable.

I understand why. 20 mins on the stairmaster with 1/3 of my foot off the step ( the stairs aren’t wide Enough for my foot ) is a burn you can’t replicate anywhere else in the gym ..

Last edited:
All the respect to JM, but I completely disagree with stretching a muscle under a heavy load for 10 seconds. Conventional exercises that load a muscle under a stretch position such as RDL/SDL are risky enough as is, add in holding the stretched position for 10 seconds...just not smart imo. Especially when the weight is heavy enough that you can only bang out 8 reps.

Easy way to tear a muscle.

66Chevy

Super Moderator
All the respect to JM, but I completely disagree with stretching a muscle under a heavy load for 10 seconds. Conventional exercises that load a muscle under a stretch position such as RDL/SDL are risky enough as is, add in holding the stretched position for 10 seconds...just not smart imo. Especially when the weight is heavy enough that you can only bang out 8 reps.

As a guy in my mid-40's with naturally large calfs I am inclined to agree with you...I may have been able to get away with that in my 20's but I wouldn't chance it now. But also I'm not really trying to grow my calfs at this stage either...
I would be more concerned about rupturing the Achilles tendon, although a torn calf would be tough to work around a ruptured Achilles is up to a 6 month rehab.

However, I don't see any issue with the calf training vid JM posted today.

Thread starter #27

HungryMfkr

Registered
She uses stairmaster everyday. She had a tire shaped mid section. But her legs are so toned. And her calfs will put anyone in the gym to shame. It’s actually unbelievable.

I understand why. 20 mins on the stairmaster with 1/3 of my foot off the step ( the stairs aren’t wide Enough for my foot ) is a burn you can’t replicate anywhere else in the gym ..
Good point I'll try that out.

Lots of good things glad I asked

Thread starter #28

HungryMfkr

Registered

That's what happened to my triceps tendon 2y ago and putted me off for a while. I was using Ben Polenski training method of training other section than the mid section of the muscles.

biguglynewf

Super Moderator
donkey calf raises and forefoot running
View attachment 11674
there was a time when doing this didnt cause a fuss
Where did this pic of BC and Drago come from?

Just look at them basking in each other’s manliness! Looks like Sabre could be smoking in the corner there.... but he’s hard to make out...

Volume and volume and then more volume. You will never meet a serious or even semi serious mountain biker that doesn’t sport some cows. So I say the same as most others.

Justaguy

Registered
For myself i always do symmetric reps in three positions

| |
\/
/\

Iv found 20-20-20 back to back will cause significant damage at the right weight.

30-30-30 if you dont need to walk for the next few days.

Thread starter #31

HungryMfkr

Registered
For myself i always do symmetric reps in three positions

| |
\/
/\

Iv found 20-20-20 back to back will cause significant damage at the right weight.

30-30-30 if you dont need to walk for the next few days.

Update

I tried it and works great. Raped those fuckers and 2 days later still soar as fuck this and the stair master 1/3 toes. The only time I'm soar like this is after a big stop and restart so must be on the good path.

Thanks for the tips gents.

Justaguy

Registered
Update

I tried it and works great. Raped those fuckers and 2 days later still soar as fuck this and the stair master 1/3 toes. The only time I'm soar like this is after a big stop and restart so must be on the good path.

Thanks for the tips gents.

Haha yeah you need to be careful!

CurtisP

Registered
Bumping this for some general curiosity

I have always been told your calves should be the same size as your bi/tri measurement

Other people are saying they should be the same size as your forearms ?

What is everyone’s consensus on this ?

Thread starter #34

HungryMfkr

Registered

I have always been told your calves should be the same size as your bi/tri measurement

If I had to choose i'd say bi/tris cause my calves aren't up to my expectation but are way bigger than my forearms

66Chevy

Super Moderator

I always remember hearing it was size of neck, upper arms and calves were supposed to be around the same size for optimal aesthetics.

CurtisP

Registered
I have been training them to be the same size as my upper arms - glad to see I am not chasing something impossible

Mnemonic

Registered
If you want something out of the ordinary, you gotta do something out of the ordinary.

I thought always had decent calves, so I train them lightly once a week... I get most out of my long cardio sessions on the treadmill.
I go for about 4 miles at 15 incline, 4mph for an hour.

I always remember hearing it was size of neck, upper arms and calves were supposed to be around the same size for optimal aesthetics.
hmm I only ever saw the comparison to calves/bis, now I am curious about all 3 haha.

16.5" neck
17" bi's
16" calves

Tbh I expected less, not too bad for being depleted in a cut.
Perhaps I should put a little extra into my calves having measured now. :confused: