What's new

Beyond meat

Mnemonic

Rookie
@Sorbate You keep mentioning adding soy and oils to traditional burgers, and I couldn't believe it.

Reminded me of when I was at Sobeys and they had their PC line of frozen burgers on a really good sale.
I usually just buy raw gbeef from costco, but the price was enough to consider.

variety after variety, box after box.. I kept seeing ~400 calories with maybe 18-19g protein PER PATTY.
Thought huh, that's weird... the protein is really low for the calories, must be very high fat % beef.
Put it back and walked away.

After your posts here, I looked up the nutrition:
Angus - 380 cal, 31g fat, 19g protein.
Corn Syrup Solids.
Even the popular reviews were negative saying they were just soaked in grease, and ruined their buns before they could eat.

I knew they were adding corn/soy to literally everything in the processed aisles at stores, but I didn't think they went as far as meat.

Jericho

Rookie
Just tired of having an agenda rammed down my throat all the time. Shit Trudeau if re-elected wants to put on a meat tax.
Out of interest, how are things being "rammed down your throat all the time"? You started off by saying once in a while, people leave comments on your facebook page. I eat meat, but i'm surrounded by a vegan wife and 2 veggie kids. I go to vegan restaurants/festivals occasionally, and I'm not sure i get this "rammed down my throat" claim. Do i see/hear comments on occasion? Sure. Is it even once a week, or once a month? No. Couple of times a year at the most.

Mooobaby

Not to be a dick but....
Vet
Out of interest, how are things being "rammed down your throat all the time"? You started off by saying once in a while, people leave comments on your facebook page. I eat meat, but i'm surrounded by a vegan wife and 2 veggie kids. I go to vegan restaurants/festivals occasionally, and I'm not sure i get this "rammed down my throat" claim. Do i see/hear comments on occasion? Sure. Is it even once a week, or once a month? No. Couple of times a year at the most.
Dude the beyond meat campaign was impossible not to see. In the last year twice over been served vegan meat substitutes with no heads up ... The price of beef clearly reflects that this is an agenda being politicaly enforced.

Sorbate

My colon knows the difference
Banned
Well, as a meat eater I do not go on vegetarian sites and make comments. Why is it that vegetarians believe it is within their rights to comment on meat sites stating we are evil and going to die, change and we will feel better? To ME that is ramming it down my throat. I may bet a few times on my facebook page, then a few times on this board, then in advertisements, then from our own government, so not just in one instance,
They have even removed meat off the food guide and added in meat substitutes.
Like I said eat what you want. Shit I sell vegetarian items at my store because there are others like your family.
Not a vegetarian or vegans are bad, but there is a political agenda, you just don't see it because your family mainly eats a plant based diet.

Jericho

Rookie
Are Coke ramming their products down your throat, or are they just advertising their business like everyone else.
Beyond Meat/Impossible Foods, etc are businesses. They'll grow their business with advertising. Just like every other business.
If vegetarians are commenting on your public social media pages, unlucky. That's the price of having a public page. You can always change the settings, or close your page, but if you invite/allow people to comment, what do you expect?

Is there really a political agenda though? And if so, by whom? This sounds a little conspiratorial to be honest.
I've known since i was young that too much red meat (or, alcohol, processed foods, sugar, etc) is bad for you. I think the science on that is pretty consistent. It's not an agenda. If the government are trying to steer people to make more healthy choices (less red meat, less tobacco, less alcohol), it's because it's good public policy. It's because they're paying the health costs. It's because they're seeing the increase in cancer rates. I am yet to see any government policy promoting the consumption of Beyond Meat products. If you mean more plant based foods, sure. Which government would disagree that we should all eat more plant based foods? The current US administration perhaps, but thats it.

I think it's pretty well understood that cattle farming is harmful to the environment; the cutting down of trees, the methane, etc etc.
It's also pretty well understood that soy farming is no panacea either, but both things can be true at the same time, and it doesn't make one more right than the other.

The OP specifically asked about Beyond Meat; within a few responses, someone had replied that vegetarians/vegans shouldn't be allowed to eat products which are "fake meat" because vegans have forsaken real meat. It's a bit silly. Everyone eat what you want. Live and let live. Accept people are entitled to a different opinions, and people are entitled to eat real beef, fake beef, cow brains, chicken feet, lambs liver... whatever the fuck they want, and there's not much anyone can do about it within the confines of the law.

For some, eating meat is an emotive subject. They're entitled to complain about it. You're entitled to tell them to fuck off.

In all honesty, i see more adverts for deodorant, or tampons, or you name it, than i do for Beyond Meat (or similar) products. It is absolutely nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Sorbate

My colon knows the difference
Banned
Are Coke ramming their products down your throat, or are they just advertising their business like everyone else.
Beyond Meat/Impossible Foods, etc are businesses. They'll grow their business with advertising. Just like every other business.

Coke doesn’t tell you that you are going to be unhealthy, die or are a bad human if you don’t drink coke

If vegetarians are commenting on your public social media pages, unlucky. That's the price of having a public page. You can always change the settings, or close your page, but if you invite/allow people to comment, what do you expect?

Some Vegetarians for some reason think it’s ok to talk down to people whom eat meat. Yes, it is open forums, and I do ignore their comments no matter how uninformed and based on feeing they are.

Is there really a political agenda though? And if so, by whom? This sounds a little conspiratorial to be honest.
I've known since i was young that too much red meat (or, alcohol, processed foods, sugar, etc) is bad for you. I think the science on that is pretty consistent. It's not an agenda. If the government are trying to steer people to make more healthy choices (less red meat, less tobacco, less alcohol), it's because it's good public policy. It's because they're paying the health costs. It's because they're seeing the increase in cancer rates. I am yet to see any government policy promoting the consumption of Beyond Meat products. If you mean more plant based foods, sure. Which government would disagree that we should all eat more plant based foods? The current US administration perhaps, but thats it.

Since when has eating a balanced diet with meat, veggies and carbs been shown to be bad. I look forward to the studies.
Too much meat, yes could be an issue, just as eating straight leafy greens would not be healthy. Balance is the key.
When meat was harder to get and more expensive in the past, a lot of carbs were consumed instead of meat and people lived. Did they live to their 90’s like now? I don’t think so. My grandparents generation didn’t have access to the abundance of different veggies year round like we do. They ate a balanced diet of meat, carbs and veggies (in the summer more because what was grown in the garden). Funny part is, it is believed that, that generation is the one that will have lived the longest. A lot lived into their 90’s. So meat within reason is not harmful.

I think it's pretty well understood that cattle farming is harmful to the environment; the cutting down of trees, the methane, etc etc.

This has been proven false and the difference is negligible. You cut down trees to plant crops, you use water to water crops. Before cows were on farms there were wild buffalo and other wild animals in the millions all over the prairies farting their asses off. I’m pretty sure their methane impact was similar. Plus us human and our vast over
population farting is likely worse. Maybe we should all stop having pets because of the environmental impact that pets make, with their methane, little single use plastic bags to pick up dog shit, packaging on treats and so on. I would bet that would make a bigger impact on the environment, lol.

It's also pretty well understood that soy farming is no panacea either, but both things can be true at the same time, and it doesn't make one more right than the other.

Exactly you defeated your own point about cattle farming, both are as bad as each other, so one isn’t more right.

The OP specifically asked about Beyond Meat; within a few responses, someone had replied that vegetarians/vegans shouldn't be allowed to eat products which are "fake meat" because vegans have forsaken real meat. It's a bit silly. Everyone eat what you want. Live and let live. Accept people are entitled to a different opinions, and people are entitled to eat real beef, fake beef, cow brains, chicken feet, lambs liver... whatever the fuck they want, and there's not much anyone can do about it within the confines of the law.

Exactly what I said. But my issues is not that they have forsaken meat, but the always tout that plant based diets or anything plant based is better for your health. I hope we can agree that these beyond meat burgers are actually more harmful to your body than actual ground beef would be.

For some, eating meat is an emotive subject. They're entitled to complain about it. You're entitled to tell them to fuck off.

For some it is, and they can complain, and I wouldn’t tell them to fuck off, but that I am not interested in their opinion, and just like if they told me they were not interested in mine, they should respect that and stop trying to push it on others by using emotion and bullying to get their point across.

In all honesty, i see more adverts for deodorant, or tampons, or you name it, than i do for Beyond Meat (or similar) products. It is absolutely nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Do you see more ads promoting red meat than the beyond beef burger right now? How is tampons or deodorant related?
My answers are below your in italics. Anyhow this discussion is really going no where. I’ll quit if you want to.