What's new

black pepper - benefits (better absorption, cholesterol, blood sugar, anti-inflammatory, etc.)

Goldenrod

Rookie

We buy black pepper in bulk and I chew a few peppercorns before taking my morning and evening supplements. Mainly, because I take turmeric supplements each day. There are curcumin supplements that are expensive and claim to have a much higher oral bioavailability. Turmeric supplements are cheap but are not absorbed well, adding piperine increases the absorbption by a staggering % - I don't have the number in front of me.
I didn't know about the added health benefits before reading some of the studies (albeit most were on rats) and was surprised to learn of some of the reputed health benefits.
Just another relatively inexpensive spice/food that has health benefits. Thought I would share.

Goldenrod

Rookie
I mix turmeric and black pepper all the time. I add olive oil and uses this mixture as seasoning in salads and other dishes.
Hi @millenium girl - I too used to mix turmeric, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil in a bowl but I would just throw it down with water. I was staining my teeth and the wife told me I was staining all the bowls too and she was right. I bought the capsules for that very reason.
there is considerable evidence with turmeric/curcumin and health benefits.

Hi @millenium girl - I too used to mix turmeric, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil in a bowl but I would just throw it down with water. I was staining my teeth and the wife told me I was staining all the bowls too and she was right. I bought the capsules for that very reason.
there is considerable evidence with turmeric/curcumin and health benefits.
I buy ready to eat golden paste now.
It doesn't stain bowls if you wash them immediately ;)