What's new

Blood Pressure - accountability

Goldenrod

VET
Had a scare when I let estro go wild, and hit a cool 150 over 90. That was a month ago. I'm sitting at a much more reasonable 117 over 72 now
Did you hit that over an extended period with a home monitor or did the doctor discover it? Just curious what the doc said if they took that reading. Glad you got you BP under control.

StoicStoner

Lightweight
Did you hit that over an extended period with a home monitor or did the doctor discover it? Just curious what the doc said if they took that reading. Glad you got you BP under control.
I was in the ER several weeks back and on entry they took my BP. I saw on the monitor it said 159/90. Later on that night talking to the doctor he said my BP was fine. That seemed pretty weird to me. Wouldn't you think a reading that high would be a problem?

skarpyona

Heavyweight
It was with a home monitor, and it was the same one I used to establish a baseline prior to cycling (130/80). Long story short, I used to aromatize very little when I was younger to the point 12.5mg of aromasin per week was enough to keep everything under control, so I figured the same protocol would be fine. Took about 2 weeks and I noticed I feel bloated, moon face, pressure in my head when I tie my boots, and a bit of a red flush. Then it clicked.

In addition to upping my AI, I added some BP and heart support to my health stack and my BP is actually lower now than before cycle!

skarpyona

Heavyweight
I was in the ER several weeks back and on entry they took my BP. I saw on the monitor it said 159/90. Later on that night talking to the doctor he said my BP was fine. That seemed pretty weird to me. Wouldn't you think a reading that high would be a problem?
Very weird, or maybe indifferent doctor. That's well into hypertension stage 2 territory

Goldenrod

VET
I don't trust doctors and I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I have been told my test is fine and asked to see reports and see a big L beside test. Asked the doc and he said he missed it.
Back 20 years ago I was very sick and my lymphocytes started at 14,000 which is an indication of an infection, and the ER doc told me nothing was off. I then had a year of lymphopenia and apparently your count being down 1/3 from the norm is not enough to get their attention. I was eventually sent to a ID in another province and he said it was a travesty. He wanted all my reports from the first time I felt off so my GP sent him copies. Often the ER deals with what will kill you that moment and if it won't, they skip right past it.

Yes, the doctor should have discussed it but if you were in pain your BP would be considerably higher and if that is the case then he/she may have assumed this to be the case which they shouldn't. If you start doing anything for your own long term health, keep your own file with copies of every test or x-ray, etc. Unless you have an perfect memory, you will forget issues over the years. Doctors have forgot more than I know but again I don't trust all of them, many want you to get in and out of their office as quick as possible.

Upjohn

VET
Had the same at an urgent-care last year. Super high bp (lil more than u got) when I first got their. By the time they where done with me it was fine.

Doc said prob cause the stress/anxiety of being sick n heading into hospital. By the time they intravenous fluids n whatever else they did/gave me n I was leaving , was back down to normal bp.

Can't remember the exact # or code name but said the bp #s b4 they consider 'life threatening' bp and address it at ER was like 210+/110+ or sumthing. (was way higher than I figured) Anything else lower wasn't immediate life threatening (at least my case?) and would need to be addressed with ur personal doc.

Could go into more detail but like GR said , when ur body is stressed ur bp will be higher. Because I track my bp I was able to notice that dental work that I needed to be done was telling me in my bp over a period of time. Didn't 'feel' pain at all but my body was fighting a bad root-canal job (so basicly kinda type of pain/distress) Over the course of a month my avg bp moved up like 5 or 10 points kinda deal. Tooth they canalled started hurting , they fixed n with-in days bp avg was back to normal np.

That urgent care visit was when I picked up a stomach bug that went for 5 days that on the 5th at 3am of puke n shitting I was like k need to get this checked out so went in.

Year b4 that I made a thread about another stomach bug I got that I ripped my throat from puking and was bleeding back into my stomach. Wife woke up at another 4am shit-show of me with a bucket between my legs half filled with blood. She was like what the fuk u doin and phoned the whambulance on me. Puked up another 400ml of pure blood on the trip to the hospital 😆

Luckily at that time they found some shit in my shit and put me on meds for 6months and iam all good now but my sense of humour 🥴

BigBen

Super Heavyweight
After a month of scary high readings on a home bp monitor, as high as 155/95, i went to a walk in clinic this morning. Many readings, two different machines, max reading was 120/80. For my wife, the home machine works fine. The cuff is in the middle of its adjustment. Even machines at shoppers and Safeway read too high for me. Lesson for me at least, dont trust anything other than a doctors office, preferably a manual machine. It may be because i have a low resting heart rate of less than 60, or it may be something about the blood vessels beneath my biceps.

My message is don't trust a home machine, or one at a drugstore or shopping centre unless it matches a reading taken at your Doctor's office. You might be misled by it.

Last edited: