What's new

Breaks

Thread starter #1
I have always been told that I should take a break from time to time. Just wondering how many breaks a year you, guys, take and hiw long they last.

Gregw1

Registered
I take a week off once a year and 2 weeks off once a year. I do it to freshen my body up a little and to shock the body. Believe it or not a person can actually get some muscle growth because the body actually gets to fully heal.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
Ouch, that's quite a list. Did you play football before being a bodybuilder?
Briefly. Preferred baseball, but raw strength and training for that was always my main passion. I actually got my broken bones in construction accidents, car wrecks, and fights. I was pretty crazy in my 20's, and it took away from my potential best gaining years.

Thread starter #6
Briefly. Preferred baseball, but raw strength and training for that was always my main passion. I actually got my broken bones in construction accidents, car wrecks, and fights. I was pretty crazy in my 20's, and it took away from my potential best gaining years.
Fights .... I went into a few myself (with fans of the visitors team during hockey games).

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
Fights .... I went into a few myself (with fans of the visitors team during hockey games).
Fights over football games were very common where I was, whether live at the game (usually after when everyone was drunk and half of the crowd mad about the outcome of the game) or at the bar with a TV (which may or may not survive)

When I was really into training I would take as little of breaks as possible. A few days here and there or a deloading week.

Now with work and life somedays I have to take a break to get what I need done.
Other times I take the day off lifting and just stretch.

Taking a break from intense training is important both physically and psychologically.

Just like having a cheat meal, you should do as best as you can to plan your breaks.

66Chevy

Super Moderator
I take a few extra days to a week off around Christmas and scale back training frequency on vacation. Right now we are working out every 3rd day on vacay and it's great, feels like a good amount of time off to enjoy other things...just enough exercise to off-set my beer drinking and banana bread consumption lol

I used to take a break every 12 - 14 weeks... just 'cuz'... we did that in the 90s... lol Now i just do a deload, or take days if I need them.

I had a flu a week ago... so that FORCED me into a break... Didn't lose much strength at ALL really... but my stamina is SHIT... I could BARELY get my mains done... accessories weren't the best.. :S

zenmonky

Registered
injurys, flu, travel days and short trips. less then 4 days. i dont want to detrain. my vacations are usually quite physical so i dont really count them as rest. i think my training has enough breaks. a long break like 2 weeks or more would take a month of conditioning to get me to be able to work out at 100%

Pickle

Registered
I can't say I've ever taken a pre meditated break. It's either been due to illness or injury only and no more then a day or two.

I will be taking 6 weeks off after my hernia surgery coming up here and it scares the hell outta me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say I've ever taken a pre meditated break. It's either been due to illness or injury only and no more then a day or two.

I will be taking 6 weeks off after my hernia surgery coming up here and it scares the hell outta me!!

Not to scare you, but I would plan on a little more than six weeks. Mind you I don't know what kind of hernia you are having repaired, but prep for the occasional complication. Is it a mesh procedure?

Pickle

Registered
Not to scare you, but I would plan on a little more than six weeks. Mind you I don't know what kind of hernia you are having repaired, but prep for the occasional complication. Is it a mesh procedure?
It's an umbilical hernia so not as severe as some. But yes I believe it will be a mesh procedure. I was told 6 weeks but if it's longer so be it. I don't plan on taking any chances with the recovery that's for sure!

It's an umbilical hernia so not as severe as some. But yes I believe it will be a mesh procedure. I was told 6 weeks but if it's longer so be it. I don't plan on taking any chances with the recovery that's for sure!

Prep yourself to be a patient patient. Good luck and happy healing.