What's new

Cardio equipment

Thread starter #1
As you know I will have a knee replacement in July and I need a good quality recumbent bike both for rehab and also for my future cardio workouts (not sure I will be able to use the treadmill after surgery). Do you own one or another quality gym equipment? I was thinking LifeTime fitness or Technogym. Pricey but professional equipment.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
As you know I will have a knee replacement in July and I need a good quality recumbent bike both for rehab and also for my future cardio workouts (not sure I will be able to use the treadmill after surgery). Do you own one or another quality gym equipment? I was thinking LifeTime fitness or Technogym. Pricey but professional equipment.
You will be able to use the treadmill weeks before using the bike. Took me 10 weeks. It was a major progress point when I could make a full revolution. I had been walking/treqdmilling ok for a while. ROM will come back, but a little slow. It's been 1 1/2 years, and my knee function on that side is good. My replaced knee is my good knee now.

Thread starter #3
You will be able to use the treadmill weeks before using the bike. Took me 10 weeks. It was a major progress point when I could make a full revolution. I had been walking/treqdmilling ok for a while. ROM will come back, but a little slow. It's been 1 1/2 years, and my knee function on that side is good. My replaced knee is my good knee now.
Cool. I thought they would want me to use a bike for rehab. From what you wrote I assume you never regretted having the knee replacement.

Sabre Star

Super Moderator
I have a recumbent bike that works great. I believe the brand is AFG (by all means not top of the line). Unfortunately, it has turned into a clothes rack and doesn't get much use... :rolleyes:

Thread starter #7
I have a recumbent bike that works great. I believe the brand is AFG (by all means not top of the line). Unfortunately, it has turned into a clothes rack and doesn't get much use... :rolleyes:
Haha that won't happen here. I'm a cardio addict :p

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
Really? Most people here have to stay 7 or 8 days... Surgeon wants me to stay longer because I live alone but I hate hospitals so I lied and said that a friend would stay with me for a couple of weeks :p
That is hard to believe, but I can't say it's not true. I'm not over there. 7-8 days would be unheard of here. I only stayed 5 days after my open heart surgery. I lived alone also, and got by ok. I could do everything necessary; in and out of bed, bathroom/shower, fix a little food. Everything happened in very slow motion for a few days, but I got it done. I was in the gym on a cane doing upper body in a week.

Thread starter #11
That is hard to believe, but I can't say it's not true. I'm not over there. 7-8 days would be unheard of here. I only stayed 5 days after my open heart surgery. I lived alone also, and got by ok. I could do everything necessary; in and out of bed, bathroom/shower, fix a little food. Everything happened in very slow motion for a few days, but I got it done. I was in the gym on a cane doing upper body in a week.
I hope they will release me acouple of days post surgery. I hate hospitals (nobody is gonna visit me and I will be bored in no time), my physio lives one street away from me and can come every day before he goes on vacation (Aug 15th). I live in a ground floor flat, no stairs or anything. I will stock up on food next week and two colleagues already told me to give them a ring in case I need something.

You're hardcore m&b, already working out after a week ....

Thread starter #12
Guess what m&b -- I used the recumbent bike this morning to test it before rehab and I had more knee pain than ever before. My knee isn't sore when I walk briskly on the treadmill but it really hurts when riding that bike for some reason. It will be even worse during rehab. I should have listened to you :(

Guess what m&b -- I used the recumbent bike this morning to test it before rehab and I had more knee pain than ever before. My knee isn't sore when I walk briskly on the treadmill but it really hurts when riding that bike for some reason. It will be even worse during rehab. I should have listened to you :(
That is typical MG. I couldn't ride a bike at all when my knees were disintegrating. I could work all my kicks and wrestle as well as squat, but the bike hurt like Hades. What you want to do is leave the bike alone until rehab and then when you are using it you will only be working within your range of motion. The problem with relying on walking during rehab is you can walk with very limited range of motion in your knees.
The knee - range of motion | KNEEguru
https://courses.vcu.edu/DANC291-003/index_9.htm

Last edited:
Thread starter #14
I never had any issue riding a bike until now. I used to go to work and back on my Brompton.... Besides docs, nurses and physios all say that riding a bike is much better for the knee than using a treadmill.

I never had any issue riding a bike until now. I used to go to work and back on my Brompton.... Besides docs, nurses and physios all say that riding a bike is much better for the knee than using a treadmill.
I saw that you did 25 KM when you first tried it out? That wasn't the best thing to do, my dear MG. You should have just tried it for a couple of minutes to determine how you it felt. If I would have tried that much pre-op, I would not have been able to move afterwards. Save it for rehab or just take all the tension off and go for nice slow, full rotations for a short period of time. Not for working out just to get in the groove. I think you will find that much easier and also determine what part of your knee is the most painful.

Thread starter #16
I saw that you did 25 KM when you first tried it out? That wasn't the best thing to do, my dear MG. You should have just tried it for a couple of minutes to determine how you it felt. If I would have tried that much pre-op, I would not have been able to move afterwards. Save it for rehab or just take all the tension off and go for nice slow, full rotations for a short period of time. Not for working out just to get in the groove. I think you will find that much easier and also determine what part of your knee is the most painful.
I know I did a bit too much for the 1st time but my goal was to burn as many calories as I do on the treadmill ... You know it's all about calories. I'm so scared of putting on weight that I keep pushing myself. The inside of the knee hurts the most right now.

I know I did a bit too much for the 1st time but my goal was to burn as many calories as I do on the treadmill ... You know it's all about calories. I'm so scared of putting on weight that I keep pushing myself. The inside of the knee hurts the most right now.
Let's not do that again!

Thread starter #18
Let's not do that again!
I went out earlier and walked like a 100 meters earlier. Since I was alone, I used both crutches. I wonder if I could do a few steps on the treadmill (flat and lowest speed). What do you think M&B? Is it too early?

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
Go ahead. But please be honest with yourself and bail out if anything doesn't feel right. You may feel a bit of pain, just be sure everything is stable. Couple of tips: Don't even look at the calorie counting app. You won't burn that many. What you are doing now is rehab. Regaining function. Hold those handrails. At least rest your hands on them for stability. Another tip is low speed and work, NOT HARD, on increasing stride length. One more: It will feel better on a slight incline, like 2%
IT IS VERY EARLY. DON'T FORCE ANYTHING. Much respect to you for tying.

Thread starter #20
Go ahead. But please be honest with yourself and bail out if anything doesn't feel right. You may feel a bit of pain, just be sure everything is stable. Couple of tips: Don't even look at the calorie counting app. You won't burn that many. What you are doing now is rehab. Regaining function. Hold those handrails. At least rest your hands on them for stability. Another tip is low speed and work, NOT HARD, on increasing stride length. One more: It will feel better on a slight incline, like 2%
IT IS VERY EARLY. DON'T FORCE ANYTHING. Much respect to you for tying.
Thank you so much M&B. I will do as I'm told. I will do baby steps, a slight incline, no looking at the calories. Part of the staples will be removed tomorrow. I hope that the swelling will go down and that I will be able to bend my knee a bit easier.