What's new

Changing Training Goals w/ age

Thread starter #1

kaly11

Registered
I have noticed over the last few years my goals have shifted. When I say shifted - I don't mean I don't incorporate bodybuilding into my routine weekly, I just mean I am now doing more cardio based workouts + sports, plyometric movements, and I am once again playing hockey again after stopping 7 years ago. I have always played hockey and actually was selected to the Canadian national team tryouts back in the day for under 17.

I am 30 now... I feel like being 258lbs in my offseason ( my heaviest ) just doesn't make sense anymore. I am currently 218lbs, look and feel so much better.

At this point in my life I find that a balance of sports + bodybuilding is something I can sustain. If I ever compete again ( maybe next year actually ) I find I will be in such a better position to get down to what I need to and it wont take such a toll on my body.

Bodybuilding is and will ALWAYS be a passion of mine - couple years back I was solely basing my mind of just that - now I am realizing that incorporating other aspects of health and fitness just makes more sense to me now.

Has anyone gone through a shift in mindset or training goals ( maybe a few times ) ? I would like to hear some experiences.

AnimalPak

Registered
Bodybuilding is a lifestyle choice, its good to still incorporate all of the other activities you like doing. At the end of the day, do what makes you feel the happiest!

For me personally, sometimes I feel like I've fallen into the trap of being over-obsessed with the gym/dieting and have sacrificed family/friend time because of it. I feel like you should always try to have a "happy medium" between both lifestyles. Thats just my 2 cents though.

I had a somewhat similar experience about 6 years ago. I had competed in powerlifting for about 15 years but always as a sloppy superheavy. I was 295 lbs but it was not pretty. Lol. I always ate anything to just get heavier and stronger. Was I strong because of it? Absolutely, but I was tired of being that heavy and wanted a change. I cut hardcore and in three months was down to 230 lbs. I then adjusted my diet to start building lean muscle and still cut a bit more fat. I eventually got down to my lowest of 209 lbs. That was too light for my strength goals, we need some extra weight as powerlifters but not sloppy. I am now 6 years later 238-242 lbs depending on the day of the week. I make sure I can always see my abs at very least in the morning. I feel much better and I am almost as strong as I was at 295 lbs. I look a hell of a lot better and I am much more proud of it. Now I am decently strong and look decent as well. I plan to never go back up to that sloppiness again. Keep in mind I am now 43years old and being super bulky is not good for my health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My goals have changed over the years, probably because I'm older than most of you and that I have used and abused my body (remember to always listen to your body, folks or you will pay the bill sooner or later).

When I started bodybuilding my goal was to get as big as possible. I tried natural supplements, I trained with guys, I switched to chemicals like Dbol (by accident), Primo, Winny (can I drink it?), Anavar, deca, GH, and so on. I got big and bimbos at my gym (those creatures with piercings, earrings, heavy make up, .....) came to me with that look on their face saying "you've put on weight" .... I didn't even bother saying that it was my goal (mind you my model at the time was QOD, those who have been at the boards long enough must remember her). Anyway after having used and abused my body and neglecting taking macros into account I realized that thee was no point in juicing.

My goal now that I'm getting older is to stay lean and mean (lol) and most of all healthy. Some who check my log must think that I spend most of the day on the treadmill, well that's because cardio doesn't only help you stay lean.it is also very important for your heart. I don't lift with guys anymore, I do long sets with lighter weights to have a toned body. Sorry to disappoint you, folks, but that's the way it is.

I have noticed over the last few years my goals have shifted. When I say shifted - I don't mean I don't incorporate bodybuilding into my routine weekly, I just mean I am now doing more cardio based workouts + sports, plyometric movements, and I am once again playing hockey again after stopping 7 years ago. I have always played hockey and actually was selected to the Canadian national team tryouts back in the day for under 17.

I am 30 now... I feel like being 258lbs in my offseason ( my heaviest ) just doesn't make sense anymore. I am currently 218lbs, look and feel so much better.

At this point in my life I find that a balance of sports + bodybuilding is something I can sustain. If I ever compete again ( maybe next year actually ) I find I will be in such a better position to get down to what I need to and it wont take such a toll on my body.

Bodybuilding is and will ALWAYS be a passion of mine - couple years back I was solely basing my mind of just that - now I am realizing that incorporating other aspects of health and fitness just makes more sense to me now.

Has anyone gone through a shift in mindset or training goals ( maybe a few times ) ? I would like to hear some experiences.
Definitely and I think it's perfectly normal for some to shape goals differently as they progress in this endeavour. After a few years of doing this you are at a completely different spot than where you started, and this could also be a completely different angle to see the previously clouded goal for some.

I know a lot of guys, who rather be able to deadlift a car and swim a lake instead of deadlifting a tank lol. Others on the flipside deadlift a tank and then aim for the train. Both are fine and I think as long as you can have very clear and measurable goals you aren't failing you are doing good.