What's new

Chrome Book recommendation

CurtisP

VET
My kids are needing a chrome book for school - I am planning on buying two at the same time as I can do my paperwork at home from it as well so I can spend a little more time at home than at work

here is what we are looking at

I don’t know a lot about computers but I think Asus is a good product ? I am more interested in the Ram and memory and processor thing. That is absolutely jibberish to me

Harley00

Super Heavyweight
Yeh its funny the school requires it but us parents have to pay, our girls need i pads apprenttly.
I cant help you with your choices lol sorry, i just wanted to whine.

Old RhynoS

Super Heavyweight
You didn't specify your kids age but my daughter is in highschool and a chrome book wouldn't cut it. I spent almost a grand on one and had to return it for a similar laptop.
Not enough storage in my case

CurtisP

VET
You didn't specify your kids age but my daughter is in highschool and a chrome book wouldn't cut it. I spent almost a grand on one and had to return it for a similar laptop.
Not enough storage in my case
6 and 5 - their online learning is through something with a chrome book.

CurtisP

VET
After speaking with my IT person who helps with the shop a bit - these are OK quality, but “do not expect something super awesome”
They will probably suffice for a few years

Renegade-Rabbit

Super Heavyweight
the OS is what would throw me off never used this one.. Android which most tablets and phones use and Windows has been what I am use to.. here is an article talking a bit about it (software side) I just wonder why the schools make choice for one over the other (cost, support, ease of use?) we got my wife samsung that is rather nice. anyway here is the article if you want https://www.androidauthority.com/what-is-chrome-os-1137371/

Renegade-Rabbit

Super Heavyweight
maybe this is a driving factor for teachers: Cloud-based: Chrome OS is designed to be cloud-based as much as possible. You have all of Google’s services available including Google Docs for creating documents, Drive for storing your files, and Photos for all your images. That means you can access all these files and documents on other devices with an internet connection, regardless of your location. You can also be sure that if your Chromebook gets lost, stolen, or damaged, you won’t lose your files.

CurtisP

VET
maybe this is a driving factor for teachers: Cloud-based: Chrome OS is designed to be cloud-based as much as possible. You have all of Google’s services available including Google Docs for creating documents, Drive for storing your files, and Photos for all your images. That means you can access all these files and documents on other devices with an internet connection, regardless of your location. You can also be sure that if your Chromebook gets lost, stolen, or damaged, you won’t lose your files.
Yes the cloud thing was what the teachers were talking about. I didn’t get much info from them because they spoke to the wifey when she was picking them up from school

Cheapshot

Heavyweight
I went with a cheap acer. Just make sure it has the features you want. Mines touchscreen and never use it. The daughters has no hdmi port

DutchCanadian

Super Heavyweight
My kids are needing a chrome book for school - I am planning on buying two at the same time as I can do my paperwork at home from it as well so I can spend a little more time at home than at work

here is what we are looking at

I don’t know a lot about computers but I think Asus is a good product ? I am more interested in the Ram and memory and processor thing. That is absolutely jibberish to me
If it’s just standard paperwork you are doing it will get the job done, we previously used one of these for our buisness but have since switched to apple. Haven’t really noticed much difference since all I really do is watch you tube and browse this site but the wife seems to much prefer the apple.

Old RhynoS

Super Heavyweight
That was my daughter's problem, some on the program's they were using were not compatible with chrome OS and the drive storage , even with an sd card , was sub par.
At first she hated it.
Then she loved it and didn't want me to return it.
She is happy with her HP. It was right around the same price , we got it from Costco.