What's new

Colin Kaepernick: What Y'all Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
To protest police killings, Colin Kaepernick refused to stand during the national anthem before a preseason game on Aug. 26.

-- I know this is American football and politics but was interested to hear what you all think of his personal protest he's brought to the forefront? Is he a shrewd activist or just another multimillionaire douche bag trying to put himself front and center?

prariefire

Heavyweight
Does he have a right, yes. Is he the right person to be making this protest, I dont think so. For a guy that was raised by well to do white parents and makes millions of dollars I just dont think he really knows the "opression." I think this was more a publicity stunt that has been working wonders. Lots of athletes have condemned him and now other no-name athletes are doing the same. I think there was a smarter way to go about it.

xpac2

VET
Does he have a right, yes. Is he the right person to be making this protest, I dont think so. For a guy that was raised by well to do white parents and makes millions of dollars I just dont think he really knows the "opression." I think this was more a publicity stunt that has been working wonders. Lots of athletes have condemned him and now other no-name athletes are doing the same. I think there was a smarter way to go about it.
Just because I'm not gay/black/muslim doesn't mean I don't have a right to stand up against racism/homophobia. Human rights are human rights and I will stand for them no matter what. Good for him for taking a stand. Remmeber everyone hated ALI for taking a stand back in the day and now hes a saint.
Whether I agree with him or not I respect everyone's right to protest and am glad we live in countries that allow us to exercise that right!

Motor City Smit

Super Heavyweight
He is disrespecting every man and woman who laid down their lives under the fucking flag. Is it is right, yeah sure! Lots of things we "can" do are disrespectful.

As an athlete, I don't think any coach should let someone use the "team" for a stunt. It is distracting to the other guys and is putting his own "needs" ahead of his brothers. There are 50 some other guys who just wanna win a football game.

Durk hit it on the head! There was no protesting or stunts when he was a starting quarterback. Now he's clinging to controversy to stay relevant. I am sure in a couple years when you're playing for the Pawtucket Pissflaps in the Inter-county Arena League, they will appreciate the P.R. Good riddance.

king56

VET
The timing is convenient. I suspect this was every bit attention seeking as it was making a statement.

I respect everyone's right to an opinion and to voice it.

That being said, refusing to stand for the national anthem is a lack of respect for everyone in that country not to mention the ones that have given their lives for this self entitled millionaire.

fuck him. Seriously.

Chobo88

Super Heavyweight
There is definitely a massive issue within the states in regard to racism. However, this entire fucking movement is racist in itself "#blacklivesmatter", get fucked. Its nothing but a hate spewing, media inciting load of garbage that is only causing tensions to rise. This chode isn't taking a stand, he's using the movement as a guise to reinsert his relevance. I stick him in the same category as Beyonce. What disgusts me is that both of them have the actual resources and ability to create real change, but choose to do this instead.

xpac2

VET
There is definitely a massive issue within the states in regard to racism. However, this entire fucking movement is racist in itself "#blacklivesmatter", get fucked. Its nothing but a hate spewing, media inciting load of garbage that is only causing tensions to rise. This chode isn't taking a stand, he's using the movement as a guise to reinsert his relevance. I stick him in the same category as Beyonce. What disgusts me is that both of them have the actual resources and ability to create real change, but choose to do this instead.
He's donating a million bucks to community organizations as part of his protest

Chobo88

Super Heavyweight
He's donating a million bucks to community organizations as part of his protest
Good for him. That would of been a bigger and better statement without the theatrics.

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
-- Interesting replies. Firstly, I don't think it's a good thing to ever mix sports with politics. Ever. Through the ages we've seen various forms of protest in the Olympics and it definitely detracts from the overall sense of sportsmanship it's supposed to represent. After all, you are the chosen ambassador for your country to represent them in the best possible light. In my opinion win a gold medal first and then go home and stand up for whatever cause you wish (What's that. No? Ah, you don't want to now as that gold medal equals paycheques from endorsements). Not only will you have more clout now that you're a gold medalist but you'll also not be tarnishing an international sporting spectacle that's supposed to be solely about garnering goodwill between nations and a platform onto which athletes can perform to see how they measure up against the world's best.

So now we have Colin Kaepernick choosing to use his place in the NFL to protest against the powers that be. Many argue it's his given right as an American to protest and I'll agree with that. However, only in the proper context. Basically this means on his own bloody time. When he dons a 49'ers jersey he then represents a team. When he represents a team he represents the owner of the team and the city he plays for. I believe that unless the 49'ers owner gave him permission to lodge a personal protest, the owner should have the right to penalize him however he sees fit. Sit him, trade him, fine him, etc. The owner is the boss and by proxy he's the one that makes the rules and the one that takes all the risks and brings professional football to the city, and thus, a valuable asset. In my eyes Colin's selfish antics are a rude snub toward the owner, the 49'ers, and the city of San Francisco. You wanna protest? Then win some rings, build up your image and respect, and then speak and protest all you want after you retire. Until then, serve the team, the city, and your boss.

CJM2%

Heavyweight
I dont think using the NFL stage is the appropriate place to be doing the demonstration. He can use his social media, youtube, or other means to voice his opinion. I also wish he would do away with the fro, its hard to take him seriously when he looks like a simpsons character. He is going to land himself in hot water with his message. Police are already saying they dont want to provide security for the 49ers games, those socks depicting cops as pigs is gonna lead to a gun being found in his car on a random stop

jjgreene1971

Rookie
Wrong place, wrong time. I think he can kiss his career goodbye

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

meatman777

Middleweight
I am a American living in Canada and the my flag represents the sacrifices great men and women have made to serve and protect our country and others in the world and this very disrespectful to them. If you want to protest and make a difference do something not say something. He has a freedom to do so and I respect that freedom but my personal opinion is he is a SUPER DOUCHE BAG!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

beyonder

Rookie
Kaepernick has been harassed for being black in the past so of course he has seen oppression. He's a light skin black guy covered in tattoos, similar to myself. The fact he was adopted is neither here nor there. Also, plenty of black athletes have supported Kaepernick since he started his protest. White athletes, no, but a wealth of black athletes have. This means his message resonates with them and with the NFL.

I dont think using the NFL stage is the appropriate place to be doing the demonstration. He can use his social media, youtube, or other means to voice his opinion. I also wish he would do away with the fro, its hard to take him seriously when he looks like a simpsons character. He is going to land himself in hot water with his message. Police are already saying they dont want to provide security for the 49ers games, those socks depicting cops as pigs is gonna lead to a gun being found in his car on a random stop
Th NFL is a great place to get the message across. Also, Kaepernick is not the only athlete to sport an afro. Plenty of black and mixed athletes across sports wear afros. In soccer there's Luiz, Willian, Fellani, Ben Wallace from the Pistons used to wear one, etc. I guess blacks look like Simpon characters to white people when we wear our hair. But when whites wear their greasy hair it's OK lol. Kaepernick has millions of dollars. He'll be OK.

Last edited:

Motor City Smit

Super Heavyweight
Yes and his subsequent wearing of pig cartoon Police socks to practice was to do what? So not only is he painting the entire fabric of the country with the same brush but making sure he throws the entire profession of Policing into his masterpiece too, despite the fact the vast majority of the Police do a fine job INCLUDING many Officers of colour. That wasn't even close to a social statement. That was simply to garner personal attention.

Are black people oppressed and harassed? Sure they are. But it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be. And why do you suppose that is? Maybe because we are gradually moving away from being divisive as a society? We are raising our kids to treat colour as nothing more than just that, colour. Now we have this misplaced soap boxing and the "black lives matter" movement. When you suggest that one colour of life matters, you are reversing the good trend by creating division from the other side. It is serving to accomplish exactly the opposite of its alleged intended purpose.

biguglynewf

Super Moderator
Kaepernick has been harassed for being black in the past so of course he has seen oppression. He's a light skin black guy covered in tattoos, similar to myself. The fact he was adopted is neither here nor there. Also, plenty of black athletes have supported Kaepernick since he started his protest. White athletes, no, but a wealth of black athletes have. This means his message resonates with them and with the NFL.

Th NFL is a great place to get the message across. Also, Kaepernick is not the only athlete to sport an afro. Plenty of black and mixed athletes across sports wear afros. In soccer there's Luiz, Willian, Fellani, Ben Wallace from the Pistons used to wear one, etc. I guess blacks look like Simpon characters to white people when we wear our hair. But when whites wear their greasy hair it's OK lol. Kaepernick has millions of dollars. He'll be OK.

More shallow points of view that tell one side of the story and gross generalizations.

laughable to anyone with half a brain.

its too bad this issue has to be clouded with so much nonsense and bullshit. If it wasn't maybe we could actually work towards getting things where the should be and could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.