What's new

Conor

Thread starter #1
So anyone give Conor a chance to beat Khabib? To me Khabib is a violent ground striker and just crazy takedown artist.

Scrawny

Registered
I give Conor a solid chance right up until Khabib secures the takedown. I truly hope Khabib sticks with his grappling base, no trying to show off the improved striking like he did with Iaquinta.

@Oldguyjiujitsu, I really enjoyed your insight on MMA over at NM, nice to see you here.

Fitgm

Registered
Time and time again Conor shows all us mma fans that hes not to be counted out. He was the under dog in the Jose Aldo fight, people said he wouldnt be able to handle Eddie's wrestling and aggressive style, mma and boxing analysts said he wouldnt land a single punch on floyd and floyd would KO him inside the first... khabib is definitely his biggest challenge in the octagon to date no doubt but I just cant count Conor out any more.

Thread starter #5
I give Conor a solid chance right up until Khabib secures the takedown. I truly hope Khabib sticks with his grappling base, no trying to show off the improved striking like he did with Iaquinta.

@Oldguyjiujitsu, I really enjoyed your insight on MMA over at NM, nice to see you here.
Thanks... I been around that scene for a while and try to bring a balanced insight. And ya I think Khabib will go straight for the takedown. Conor has been weak there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gramkind

Registered
Always give the edge to the wrestler. Khabib isn't the best at striking so if Conor can catch him coming in he really has one punch power, and his angles are pretty unpredictable. Pretty much it will look like the Aldo fight or Khabib just mauls him and Conor quits.

Bry

Registered
Thanks... I been around that scene for a while and try to bring a balanced insight. And ya I think Khabib will go straight for the takedown. Conor has been weak there.

He lost what....once to Diaz by submission?Conor learned something from that fight.

Thread starter #8
He lost what....once to Diaz by submission?Conor learned something from that fight.
Both guys definitely have both strengths and weaknesses. I really think the difference is Conor has not fought MMA in 2 years so rust is always and issue...sparring is not fighting and he got $100M so have to question desire.

MRX

Registered
Always liked Khabib but not a fan of those videos he posted of his cousins getting homeless guys to do pushup for money, having a good laugh at it. Classless af

Not really a Conor fan (Diaz fanboy) but kinda want Conor to starch him
Absolutely Conor has a chance. He has a funny way of winning these impossible fights and could knock out anyone in the division.
Khabib takes shots coming in
Having said that I wouldnt bet the house on Conor

Either way this is huge white boy fight
We'll soon see

Last edited:
Thread starter #12
I think this is massive factor too
I am worried Khabib will not make weight...he has not had a good track record with weight cuts and recently a number of Russian fighters have missed weight...so they are clearly no learning from their mistakes. Which is crazy because weight cutting is a well documented science...there is only 2 or 3 ways to do it correctly...follow one, either one.

Image all this hype and build up to what should be the biggest fight of the year and he misses weight. The fight would probably still happen but with once guy compromised from the cut and the other fully hydrated.

Bry

Registered
I am worried Khabib will not make weight...he has not had a good track record with weight cuts and recently a number of Russian fighters have missed weight...so they are clearly no learning from their mistakes. Which is crazy because weight cutting is a well documented science...there is only 2 or 3 ways to do it correctly...follow one, either one.

Image all this hype and build up to what should be the biggest fight of the year and he misses weight. The fight would probably still happen but with once guy compromised from the cut and the other fully hydrated.
What is Khabib’s walking around weight?Any idea?

MRX

Registered
It will be interesting to see if Conor's hands have gotten even better.
He did spend a good portion of that time training to fight one of the greatest boxers of this era

he could put khabib's lights out and quite frankly I'd be cool with Khabib losing that 0
:)

That'd throw a real wrench into the engine of the lightweight division

Thread starter #15
What is Khabib’s walking around weight?Any idea?
I don't personally know anyone close to him so this is just what i heard...195lbs. Which is a little high for 155 but some of my guys start at 180, over the 12 week camp diet to 168ish and then weight cut to 155lbs. That is a hard cut but very doable. So its not really what he is walking around at, its more what weight he starts the cut from. Just remember (168-155 is 13 lbs of water and minerals). On a percentage of body weight that is still significant. 13% lbs of water is totally different for a 155er than a 205er.

gramkind

Registered
I don't personally know anyone close to him so this is just what i heard...195lbs. Which is a little high for 155 but some of my guys start at 180, over the 12 week camp diet to 168ish and then weight cut to 155lbs. That is a hard cut but very doable. So its not really what he is walking around at, its more what weight he starts the cut from. Just remember (168-155 is 13 lbs of water and minerals). On a percentage of body weight that is still significant. 13% lbs of water is totally different for a 155er than a 205er.
according to bloodyelbow, he usually cuts about 37 lbs so I would say you were pretty correct

Mnemonic

Registered
Such dangerous shit to cut that much weight before a fight, those rules really need to change somehow.

I have my theoretical money on Khabib.
Only because I feel Connor may have suffered a bit of brain trauma he may not have normally been subjected to with his fight with Mayweather.
Repetitive face hits are cumulative, he may be a bit "slower" in this next fight I think.

Bry

Registered
Khabib’s coach says it is a waste of time trying to prepare him for the striking ability of Conor,who in his opinion is the best.The fighter that can play his game will win.

Thread starter #19
Khabib’s coach says it is a waste of time trying to prepare him for the striking ability of Conor,who in his opinion is the best.The fighter that can play his game will win.
I completely agree. Nothing drives me more crazy than a guy that’s been grappling for 15 years, is a world class grappler, takes two years of boxing, gets excited that he’s learned something new and then goes out trying to be a striker in the fight

Mnemonic

Registered
I completely agree. Nothing drives me more crazy than a guy that’s been grappling for 15 years, is a world class grappler, takes two years of boxing, gets excited that he’s learned something new and then goes out trying to be a striker in the fight

Lmao, didn't Ronda try that against Cyborg? :cool: