What's new

Cravings!!!

Thread starter #1
I'm having some pretty bad cravings today. Usually I'm good to go, even through the holidays I was solid. But to day....oh boy. I'm 8 weeks into my prep and let me tell ya...I'm thinking about 99 things right now and each one of them is food. However I'm going to stay strong because well...just gotta do what you gotta do. Doesnt matter how you feel. If you have a goal, sometimes you just have to go through the motions even if you HATE it. On that note...anyone have any really good tips to combat cravings?

Depends on what kind of craving.
Hunger pangs are usually killed by a couple of pieces of rock salt/sea salt.
I find that most often cravings are a result of a mineral/vitamin deficit. (Sometimes also mental)
So the salt usually helps with the mineral thing too.
Are you making sure to eat a good multi vitamin or other supplement complex to offset the loss of the foods you’re not eating?

What specifically are you craving?

There are a host of good websites with correlated data talking about cravings and their associated deficit.

For example: craving chocolate usually means your body has a magnesium deficit.

Craving salt can indicate low blood pressure, or even hypoglycaemia (so you might need a little fruit juice or something)

Just some thoughts.

Thread starter #3
Depends on what kind of craving.
Hunger pangs are usually killed by a couple of pieces of rock salt/sea salt.
I find that most often cravings are a result of a mineral/vitamin deficit. (Sometimes also mental)
So the salt usually helps with the mineral thing too.
Are you making sure to eat a good multi vitamin or other supplement complex to offset the loss of the foods you’re not eating?

What specifically are you craving?

There are a host of good websites with correlated data talking about cravings and their associated deficit.

For example: craving chocolate usually means your body has a magnesium deficit.

Craving salt can indicate low blood pressure, or even hypoglycaemia (so you might need a little fruit juice or something)

Just some thoughts.
I take a bunch of vitamins and minerals, including a multivitamin. I'm craving sweets. Lol it might just be cause I've been in a deficit for 2 months. Or maybe because I have a lot of sugar substitutes to try to help my cravings...like monster energy drinks, stevia, walden's maple syrup. I've read that eating those trigger cravings for even more sugar. So maybe that's my problem. I dont know. But yeah sweets and fats, like Im day dreaming about having 5 rice cakes with almond butter and stevia sprinkled on it, or like a bunch of quest bars lol I'm craving my regular food just in abundance.

Isn’t maple syrup super high in sugar?
And yeah, from what I’ve read sugar substitutes increase cravings by up to 15% or some other insane number!

It can also just be because you are in a caloric deficit in general.
I would try the salt trick.
Or even add some either brown or white rice to your meals instead of dry rice cakes. More moisture, more satiating and the fact that it isn’t as processed means there’s more nutrients/minerals etc.

Have you tried adding nori or another seaweed to your diet? Great source of iodine and iron as well as a host of other benefits. But I find when I eat it I don’t crave other foods near as much.

I'm not a competitor but I crave salt mainly at night. Innever crave anything sweet, not even during the day. I've always heard that when you crave a particular food is your body telling you that you need it.

Isn’t maple syrup super high in sugar?
And yeah, from what I’ve read sugar substitutes increase cravings by up to 15% or some other insane number!
She’s using Walden’s farms syrup. If your not familiar with Walden’s check them out ! Essentially all the main sauces you crave and hey are calorie/sugar free.

As for cravings, like @asashouryu is explaining there are science reasons behind cravings when your body is in a deficit of certain micronutrients.
But science aside , when my girl is cutting in a deficit I get her to eat 1 fat free frozen yogurt bar once a week. And also sugar free jello. Depending on the cravings she’s having. Works for her !!

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
My first contest prep, I found myself desperately craving fat, which was a weird sensation. Once I caved and ate a half jar of peanut butter, I had to rethink my program. I found that incorporating a cheat day once a week helped me maintain size and metabolism as long as I was super strict the rest of the week.

Diet drinks. Every competition I have done, I have drank them to combat it. Although I did find that as I diet more, my cravings become less. This has to do with not dieting with carbs in my diet anyone as I do keto, where cravings are pretty much non-existent.

Is this your first contest prep?

My first contest prep, I found myself desperately craving fat, which was a weird sensation. Once I caved and ate a half jar of peanut butter, I had to rethink my program. I found that incorporating a cheat day once a week helped me maintain size and metabolism as long as I was super strict the rest of the week.
This is an awesome and sustainable idea I do
Keto during prep 6 days a week and 1 day cheat this helps me keep stain and get lean real fast