What's new

Critique/Advice For my Current 12 Month Pre-Cycle Plan

anbessa21

Rookie
Hey Monsters,

I’m looking to start my first cycle sometime in the near future. Prior to this, the plan is to reach strength levels of an estimated 5RM for the following loads/exercises: 225 on incline, 315 on the squat, and 185 on military press —> lean out to the 12% range. These were around my pre-lockdown numbers at roughly 175 pounds BW and 15-18% body-fat. I'm hoping memory and re-comping with resumption of regular training plays a large roll in expediting the process. My questions are as follows:
  1. Is this a reasonable sequence? I figured my current strength could use some work prior to cutting in preparation for a cycle, but any advice on this would be well received.
  2. In your judgement, is this plan achievable in a 12 month time span given the cut begins at roughly 20% body-fat with a moderate calorie deficit of 300-500/day?
  3. Also, any advice on modifying my training and/or diet based on your experience(s) are welcome and appreciated. My current training programme and diet are included below:
Current Major Compound numbers at 180 and roughly 20% body-fat:
Rack pull 500x5 reps with endurance for 5 sets with 120-180s rest
Incline BB Bench Press 185x8 reps (5RM estimate of 201) with endurance for 3 sets with 120s rest
High bar back squat: 275x8 reps (5RM estimate of 300) with endurance for 3 sets with 120-180s rest
Military Press 155x8 reps (5RM estimate of 169) with endurance for 3 sets with 120s rest

Split: PLPR repeat. Abs (cable crunches and hanging leg raises) with legs. Each workout ranges from 75-90 minutes in duration. Typically 2-3 minutes rest for heavy barbell compounds (incline, military press, squat), 90s for all other compounds, 60s for isolation exercises. I like to keep these constant to ensure incremental increases in load occur with identical rest/recovery time.

Push
Incline BB Bench Press 3x6-8 OR Military press 3x6-8 (Once at 3x8 progress in load)
Flat DB Bench Press 3x8-10 (Once at 3x10 progress in load)
Fly variation (DB, cable, or machine) 3x10-12
DB French Press 3x8-10 (Once at 3x10, progress in load)
Rope pulldown or DB kickback 3x10-12
Lateral raise/rear delt superset 3x10-12

Legs
High bar back squat: 3x8-10
Reverse lunges OR RDLs: 3x10-12
Leg extensions: 3x12-15
Seated or laying hamstring curls 3x12-15
Standing or seated calf raise 3x112-15

Pull
Rack pulls 5x5
Weighted pull-ups 3x8-10 (Once at 3x10 progress in load)
DB row OR Seated cable row 3x8-10 (Once at 3x10 progress in load)
Wide grip T-bar row 3x8-10 (Once at 3x10 progress in load)
BB curl 3x8-10
One of: Incline DB curl, hammer curl, preacher curl 3x10-12
Lateral raise/rear delt superset 3x10-12

Diet:
Breakfast - 100g steel cut oats cooked in 140mL skim milk, 30 grams of honey, 4 whole eggs (855 cals/101 carbs/26 fats/45 protein)
Lunch - 150g pasta, 200g chicken breast, 14g parmesan cheese 13g butter (951 cals/124 carbs/20 fats/70 protein)
Pre-workout - 1 large banana, 1 scoop whey in 200mL skim milk (309 cals/44 carbs/1 fat/32 protein)
Dinner - 150g jasmine rice, 200g chicken breast, 100g spinach, 50g cherry tomatoes, 100g bell pepper, 2tbsp balsamic, 1tbsp olive oil (936 cals/124 carbs/28 fat/52 protein)
Total calories and macros: 3051 cals/400 carbs/75 fats/ 201 protein. Based on trial and error my current daily expenditure sits around 2800 calories/day. Starving African genetics - doesn't take much for me to grow.

The only (big) uncontrollable shitty variable here is sleep. I average 5-6 hours per night, not including 26-hour shifts every 4 days, during which I typically don't sleep (this is a big reason why I decided to start on exogenous T - my shitty sleep and it's effect on spiking cortisol and lowering testosterone --> the subsequent effect on mood and body composition).Thanks for taking the time to read through this guys. I really appreciate any input/advice or critiquing that might improve upon the structure of my planning.

GrowNShow

Super Heavyweight
I suggest hiring a trainer like @PacMan for some in depth analysis of your program.

PacMan

Seasoned VET
FYI, your training #'s are absolutely pointless here my friend.

Nutrition, Rest, Consistency are 100% what is needed.

FYI, YOU WILL NEVER GET INTO SHAPE EATING THIS: pasta, parm. cheese, milk, honey. You also need to eat way more food.

YOU CANNOT OUT WORK A SHITTY NUTRITION PLAN, TRUST ME I HAVE BEEN TRYING, LOL...

- PacMan

Last edited:

Lex

Super Heavyweight

FYI, YOU WILL NEVER GET INTO SHAPE EATING THIS: pasta, parm. cheese, milk, honey. You also need to eat way more food.

YOU CANNOT OUT WORK A SHITTY NUTRITION PLAN, TRUST ME I HAVE BEEN TRYING, LOL...

- PacMan
Wait what's wrong with pasta, cheese, and milk? Or do you mean just for cutting? I practically live off spaghetti when bulking lol.

Notreallyarobot

Super Heavyweight

- PacMan
I swear, like I swear... I literally had a mouthfull of spagetti, with parmesan cheese and reg cheese in my mouth, chewing it, as I read that post. Hahahaha, that was weird, lol ;)

anbessa21

Rookie
😂 I was so shook reading pasta and parm that unplugged and went for a walk to contemplate my life decisions.

Thanks for the response @PacMan. I definitely agree; the foods you listed would be the first to go when creating a deficit and attempting to get in shape. My idea was to spend some time at/slightly above maintenance once the gyms reopened, hence the diet. Given that I have only trained infrequently for the past year due to lack of equipment (live in a small apartment, couldn't get gym equipment aside from some dumbbells and a pull-up bar), my composition and strength have suffered. Now that my friend has built a home gym and grants me access, I'll be able to train regularly again. I was hoping that not diving into a deficit right away would help me gain some strength/size back with improvement in composition due to the re-comp effect that is seen after a long period of time de-training. But I can see how, already sitting around 20%, why dieting right away might be advisable. Sorry for not making that clear.

FYI: None of that tub-based powdery bullshit. I grate real parm reggiano.