What's new

Dizziness? Anybody else experience this?

• Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
-- The last few times I've trained chest I've been getting a dizziness sensation when I finish my set and stand up. Walking over to the weight tree I get a vertigo sensation for a minute or so. Keep in mind this only seems to happen when I've been laying prone on a bench.

In 30+ years of training I've never had this occur. God forbid I'm getting so old I'm not remembering to breathe properly when doing my set, lol.

I did hit my head pretty good in the summer and was taken to hospital by ambulance but then released with a green light the next day. I suppose I possibly could've scrambled something upstairs. Anyhow it has me kind of worried to the point of I'll probably go stand in the queue at one of the local walk-in clinics for some quick cursory checks -- blood pressure, ears, etc.

Standing up quickly from sitting or laying down can cause this because the blood rushes out of the head and into the body. I suffered a bad concussion 7 years ago and I still get this feeling when I stand up too fast, a lightheaded going to black out feeling. They said this is from the concussion and either goes away or it doesn't, mine obviously isn't going away. Another culprit can be the surge in BP while lifting and then taking a few seconds or so to come back to normal. If your resting BP is good then you probably have nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it. I would guess it is from your concussion or head injury that you sustained.

• Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
Standing up quickly from sitting or laying down can cause this because the blood rushes out of the head and into the body. I suffered a bad concussion 7 years ago and I still get this feeling when I stand up too fast, a lightheaded going to black out feeling. They said this is from the concussion and either goes away or it doesn't, mine obviously isn't going away. Another culprit can be the surge in BP while lifting and then taking a few seconds or so to come back to normal. If your resting BP is good then you probably have nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it. I would guess it is from your concussion or head injury that you sustained.
-- Thanks for the reply Rhyno!

The last time I got my blood pressure checked was late summer and it was in the "good" category. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was deemed fine. I'm definitely due for an updated check.

I am going to get my ears checked because I do get build up and I've had a stubborn time of flushing one side. I suspect it's plugged because when I hold my iPhone up to my right ear it's clear as day. When I hold the phone to my left ear it's extremely muffled. I also get a bit of ringing in that left ear. Should get a doctor to have a peek and use a more heavy duty flusher.

Your experience with concussion is similar to mine. That could very well be the culprit. I've suffered a concussion or two in my younger years but this latest was at age 48!! We don't tend to bounce back as easy that's for sure. When I did close grip bench the other day I did notice a difference when getting up slower and taking a few good breaths before standing. The sensation of room spinning and then possibly taking a header wasn't nearly as bad.

Last edited:

The last time I got my blood pressure checked was late summer and it was in the "good" category. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was deemed fine. I'm definitely due for an updated check.

I am going to get my ears checked because I do get build up and I've had a stubborn time of flushing one side. I suspect it's plugged because when I hold my iPhone up to my right ear it's clear as day. When I hold the phone to my left ear it's extremely muffled. I also get a bit of ringing in that left ear. Should get a doctor to have a peak and use a more heavy duty flusher.

Your experience with concussion is similar to mine. That could very well be the culprit. I've suffered a concussion or two in my younger years but this latest was at age 48!! We don't tend to bounce back as easy that's for sure. When I did close grip bench the other day I did notice a difference when getting up slower and taking a few good breaths before standing. The sensation of room spinning and then possibly taking a header wasn't nearly as bad.

Good plan to get your ears checked that can also affect balance. Concussions suck at our older age, when I was young it was nothing but my last big one at 38 years old was bad. At times I would be sitting in a chair and the entire room would start to spin, now that is a weird feeling and scary. You think you are about to have a stroke or something. They take a long time to heal and sometimes they don't ever. Just keep searching to find the problem, hopefully it is just the ear being clogged because that should be a simple fix.

DutchCanadian

Rookie
-- The last few times I've trained chest I've been getting a dizziness sensation when I finish my set and stand up. Walking over to the weight tree I get a vertigo sensation for a minute or so. Keep in mind this only seems to happen when I've been laying prone on a bench.

In 30+ years of training I've never had this occur. God forbid I'm getting so old I'm not remembering to breathe properly when doing my set, lol.

I did hit my head pretty good in the summer and was taken to hospital by ambulance but then released with a green light the next day. I suppose I possibly could've scrambled something upstairs. Anyhow it has me kind of worried to the point of I'll probably go stand in the queue at one of the local walk-in clinics for some quick cursory checks -- blood pressure, ears, etc.
Your spot on with the ears, I suffered from intermittent vertigo for a couple of months here and there when I was doing strenuous activities, Went to get checked out and all was good.

couple months down the road it came on and wouldn’t leave, all tests came back clear, sure enough it was the crystals in my ears.

after a very worrying month I started doing vertigo exercises that I found on you tube and the issue cleared up almost immediately.

haven’t had a problem since.

Mnemonic

Rookie

I am going to get my ears checked because I do get build up and I've had a stubborn time of flushing one side. I suspect it's plugged because when I hold my iPhone up to my right ear it's clear as day. When I hold the phone to my left ear it's extremely muffled. I also get a bit of ringing in that left ear. Should get a doctor to have a peak and use a more heavy duty flusher.

Were you sick recently? I just got over a pretty bad recurring cold, thought I was just riding out post cold respiratory issues regarding my pet allergies.

Went into a clinic, turns out I had pretty bad combination of sinus/ear infection & bronchitis all of which needed antibiotics.
I experienced vertigo, head rushes, ear popping & hearing fading, and all the usual shit associated with those infections.
Perhaps you also have an infection trailing a cold/flu?

NG_F

Rookie

Might be Orthostatic Hypotension to me. Are you on any new medications, either added on or switched?
When completing a set, say bench, sit up for 5-10 seconds then stand up. If your BP is low to normal mostly, then you might want to add in some Himalayan salt and increase your fluid intake.

I doubt this to be delayed effect from the concussion unless you jolted it again in the last month or two. We would expect to encounter this soon afterwards or at the most after 3 mos. Rule out any bleeds or Neoplasms via CT or MRI. May I ask how you hit your head?

Hypertension? Yes, if during the set it spikes much higher then at rest BUT if your heart rate after set is good/normal then I doubt it!

Ear wax, inner ear or sinus infections? Very probable. Tail end of Flu/cold as @Mnemonic suggested? Go see the doc to rule this out.if you test negative or if irrigation doesn't achieve Jack Shit, then it might be a cyst or infection. This may be treated with antibiotics or minor Non-invasive surgery.

I feel dizzy from time to time, when I get up too quickly or when I bend over to pick up my dumbbells for example. Or like a few weeks ago when I had an inner ear issue. My GP gave me some medication that worked in no time.

Goldenrod

Rookie
I didn't read all the replies but two people in my family had dizziness when getting up from lying down - both had a (pardon the lack of medical terminology) but I think Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.
It took three adjustments by a chiropractor and no issues sense. Each adjustment lasted two weeks and the third has kept for close to a year.\
Not saying this is the issue but I recall both relatives calling and saying I am gonna fall over when I get up off the couch or bed.
Hope you get this sorted out - best of luck.
GR

albat

Rookie
Vaso-vagal syncope. The pressure or “trauma” of lifting then standing up triggers your blood pressure to drop and voila. Some people experience this when they see blood, or spiders or whatever.

manfreakyca

Rookie
hey juice I get them symptoms it can be vertigo!? if I lay down n turn my head quick I get dizzy n my eyes bounce up n down!! crystals buildup in the fluid n throw off your equilbrium! Have your ears checked! I get it for a bit then goes away! I just live with it now!!

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
UPDATE

-- Thanks for the replies Monsters

Sorry for the delay in getting back to topic. My woman and daughter and I all celebrate birthdays in January, the woman's being first, so I was up to my eyeballs in birthday related activity.

As I mentioned I did go see a doctor at a walk-in clinic (I had to only wait 45 mins! Which is quick in my city). The female doctor was very attentive and did a few cursory checks and a line of questioning.

Suprisingly my ears were/are completely clean. Nothing awry when looking in. She did ask me if I've been sick with the flu or cold of late as to which I answered not really but . . . possibly? She then made me out a prescription for a nasal spray to alleviate a possible flu or sinus congestion. I'll be getting that today.

She did take my blood pressure which resulted in a reading of 138 over 90. She said that was fine and myself being 280lbs, she expected much worse. I told her I walk a minimum of one hour every day which seems to keep it in check ;)

She then authorized a blood requisition for a complete panel at LifeLabs.

And lastly, she asked me if I was on any medications, old or new (none). About my smoking and drinking. About the concussion in late summer. And then dispensed the final advice of giving my self a couple moments of deep breaths before standing up again after lying prone.

So as of today I have a little homework to do in the way of getting that nasal spray and bloodwork done and then go from there.

Last edited:

66Chevy

Super Moderator
@~Dr Juice~ you are going to have show me how to do those prone bench presses....here all these years I’ve been doing them supine, or in the “tits-up” position....surely I’ve been missing out on da sick gainzzz. 🤪😂😉

In all seriousness though, I hope you get to the bottom of the issue and are all better.

Vypuh

Rookie
I've had a few concussions from football and I still get the feeling of blacking out and I have to grab a wall or railing every now and again. I imagine it's pretty fucking scary right after a few sets and you're already sort of wiped out as is. Hydration can play a huge part too as I'm sure you already know. Keep on trucking and let us know how you're feeling brotha! 🙌 My birthday was just a few days ago! Happy Birthday to us January birds 😎

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
@~Dr Juice~ you are going to have show me how to do those prone bench presses....here all these years I’ve been doing them supine, or in the “tits-up” position....surely I’ve been missing out on da sick gainzzz. 🤪😂😉
-- Well I did mention the head injury, right? LOL . . . you're right . . . supine position 🤦‍♂️

supertav

Rookie
Hey Dr. J - I'm glad you're doing alright other than the dizziness, you're right that a head injury can cause lasting problems. A lot go away but one of my neuro doctors said my head injuries will take longer to settle than the other stuff and I also get the same dizziness occasionally at the gym. The advice to take your time getting up after a bench set is sound (y)