What's new

Double eccentric reps on calves

Thread starter #1

Synyster

Registered
Why does everyone always feel the need to do this?

Why with calves and not any other muscle group do you ever really see it done?

Very odd to me.

Cutler did it on all his calf work and his dvds were super popular so maybe it spread from there. But Cutler also does extra stretch before each rowing rep for back too...and that didnt catch on at all.

He still does ALL of thid if u watch him to this day. The double pumping the calves and extra sttetching the rows before each rep. Once youve done it a million times...its not likely to change.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
Why does everyone always feel the need to do this?

Why with calves and not any other muscle group do you ever really see it done?

Very odd to me.

Cutler did it on all his calf work and his dvds were super popular so maybe it spread from there. But Cutler also does extra stretch before each rowing rep for back too...and that didnt catch on at all.

He still does ALL of thid if u watch him to this day. The double pumping the calves and extra sttetching the rows before each rep. Once youve done it a million times...its not likely to change.
I don't know why you seem to think "everyone" is doing it. They are not. I like the feel of double pumping calves, and I have periodically done so (not all the time) since before Jay was born. I have also done this with biceps, especially on progressive resistance machines like Nautilus; pushing a few peak contractions then going back to full stretch for a few reps, which is just a variation of the old 21's. If you do this bodybuilding thing for long enough, you will try a myriad of techniques. Some you will abandon in short order. Some you will like, and return to because they give results, especially when experiencing a plateau. I suspect Jay does what he does because it works for him. Seems hard to argue with that. I've tried a lot of stuff over the years. Some of it was stupid, but a lot of it not. I started training with weights in 1968. 50 years ago. I trained shoulders and arms this morning. I try to remain open minded about learning new things.

Thread starter #6

Synyster

Registered
I don't know why you seem to think "everyone" is doing it. They are not. I like the feel of double pumping calves, and I have periodically done so (not all the time) since before Jay was born. I have also done this with biceps, especially on progressive resistance machines like Nautilus; pushing a few peak contractions then going back to full stretch for a few reps, which is just a variation of the old 21's. If you do this bodybuilding thing for long enough, you will try a myriad of techniques. Some you will abandon in short order. Some you will like, and return to because they give results, especially when experiencing a plateau. I suspect Jay does what he does because it works for him. Seems hard to argue with that. I've tried a lot of stuff over the years. Some of it was stupid, but a lot of it not. I started training with weights in 1968. 50 years ago. I trained shoulders and arms this morning. I try to remain open minded about learning new things.
Not sure how much u watch pro bb'ers train but yes the vast majority that insee training calves do a double eccentric
YouTube
YouTube

Theres a couple guys doing it right there. But u do see it often with pros.