What's new

Eliminating Traps.

MikeyGusto

Hey Mate.
First off, I would like to say thanks to you and all the other Vets that have been sharing your Knowledge with some of us less "seasoned" guys. I've been on CJM for a little over a month, and I'm soaking up all the available info. It's been great.
My question is pertaining to shoulders. I love hitting the Delts pretty heavily, and it doesn't really seem to matter what exercise I'm doing in always seem to hit my traps. Lateral raises in particular, I like to do Dumbell Drop sets once or twice a month, but it seems that my traps are taking more of the stress then the shoulder. Feels like my Delts could take more of a beating, but my traps gas out way before the delts.
Just wondering if you had any training advice as far as that?
Thanks for your time man, much appreciated.

It's hard to explain, but try to keep the shoulders from shrugging up when doing laterals. Keep the shoulders down and let the arms come up. As soon as you start that shrugging motion, you know you're using too much weight and your traps will absorb a lot of that. This is why I do both strict and cheating lateral raises.

MikeyGusto

Thanks for the advice gentleman.
I usually stay pretty light on the lateral raises, and try to get a good tight contraction on the top of the movement.
Im usually throwing them in at the middle to end of the workout, so I am pretty tensed up by that point.
All things to take into consideration, thanks again gents.

Also consider doing lateral raises first to preexhaust the lateral head before your pressing exercise(s). I do this all the time.

MikeyGusto

Also consider doing lateral raises first to preexhaust the lateral head before your pressing exercise(s). I do this all the time.
Splendid, the only pre exhaust workouts I have done, have been for chest. First time doing it with out my partner, and almost dropped 200 in my chest. haha
How many sets would be sufficient for the pre exaust.

Cangrejo

Rookie
I know its for pac (just by reading your guys responses) and he can probably give you a much more detailed answer, but for me I found avoiding the shrug motion and not going as high with laterals took alot of the resistance away from the trap and over to the delt.

Cangrejo

Rookie
Just saw you guys were saying thise because its his q&a section, my bad........

JonnyO

Super Moderator
on laterals to avoid bringing the traps in to play, keep your head tilted up. Many tilt their head downwards and that brings the traps into the movement.

MikeyGusto

Thanks for all the tips gents, I thought that I posted this question on Pacmans Q&A page.
My apologies, my phone is not the greates thing to use for the forums.
I will re post there, but definitely got some good info, thanks again.

JonnyO

Super Moderator
Thanks for all the tips gents, I thought that I posted this question on Pacmans Q&A page.
My apologies, my phone is not the greates thing to use for the forums.
I will re post there, but definitely got some good info, thanks again.
It actually is on his threa, but what happens alot of guys like me use the New Posts function and dont really look at what forum its under, just the thread title.

DW222

Rookie
I agree with this, I do a 320 reps spaced over 3 sets.

Also one thing I personally do is try to forget my shoulders are even there, and I focus on my elbow going up, almost like your elbow is pointing up at top of movement. Its one trick I learnt from Charles Glass. I always keep lateral,s light, but high volume.