What's new

Exercise and lifespan: is too much harmful?

Jdave

Rookie
Lol if anything they need to write more articles motivating people who don’t do enough to get their asses up and ditch excuses like this.

Zbignew

Rookie
You know, it's funny. In the last few years I know quite a few guys my age (+/- five years) who've passed away.

And they fit neatly into two groups.

The first were the slobs who didn't take care of themselves. Didn't exercise, ate like shit, worked long hours at the job, and had one or more vices they indulged to excess: booze, smoking, drugs, overeating.

The second were guys who were obsessed with "taking care of themselves," sort of. Most of them were endurance athletes, like marathoners and triathletes, but there were a couple of lifters. They ate meticulously, but they were literally always pushing themselves to the limit in training and in races and meets. They never coasted, it was 110% all the time.

I think in the cases of the fitness fanatics, it was a combination of burning themselves out, the body can only take so much, and ignoring the warning signs of serious shit like cancer or a risk of heart attacks, because they figured their fitness was the same thing as their health.

It really made me think a lot about how I live my life.

Deetermined

Rookie
I think in the cases of the fitness fanatics, it was a combination of burning themselves out, the body can only take so much, and ignoring the warning signs of serious shit like cancer or a risk of heart attacks, because they figured their fitness was the same thing as their health.
Couldn't agree more. Life needs a balance.
You can destroy yourself with to much booze / drugs etc or to much exercise and not enough recovery.
You have to listen to your body, get checked out regularly (blood work etc) and then find that middle ground that keeps everything in check.