What's new

Fairlife milk

Thread starter #1

Testbear

Registered
Hey guys just wanted to share a recent find. I've heard of fairlife before form a YouTuber - jamestinyvest. But never saw it in Canada before. Must be new. Check out the nutritional profile. Pretty sweet.

250ml

80 cals
0 fat
6 sugar/carbs
14 protein

Attachments

Yes, it's excellent. We couldn't get it in Canada before due to the high taxes/tariffs/import duties on US dairy (to protect Canadian farmers) but now with the lifted tariffs and renegotiated NAFTA - Canadian dairy farmers are "getting the shaft" (ie - are no longer protected by the CAN gov't). Anyway - point being: it's awesome! Tastes great! More Filling! (hahahaha. higher protein) AND Lactose free! (major bonus for me since I'm Lactose intolerant!) There are a few others on the market in CAN now as well Lactancia is another one.

Thread starter #3

Testbear

Registered
So it's not a Canadian product? The website is fairlifecanada.ca. And then on the bottle says "like all milk sold in Canada is free of artificial growth hormones"

100% correct. Not a Canadian product. I first had it in the U.S. probably 5 years ago. It's actually a subsidiary/product line of Coca-Cola (hq is in Georgia I believe?) Anyone can make a website. A person in Dubai that wanted to sell scarves to Canadians could make a website "canadiancomfyscarves.ca" or whatever (drop shipped from China or whatever). And it IS true "like all milk SOLD in Canada..." (notice the verbage there?) It's not MADE in Canada it's SOLD in Canada. and it IS GH free and organic...but it is 100% american made. (as of now)
From their press release this summer:
"TORONTO – June 5, 2018 – Coca-Cola Canada today announced an $85M CAD investment to build a new production facility in Peterborough, Ontario. The facility will provide new production capabilities starting with fairlife Ultrafiltered Milk, a lactose free milk containing nine essential nutrients, with 50% more protein and 50% less sugar than traditional milk. Working closely with Dairy Farmers of Ontario, Canada will be the first international market for fairlife products. "

So eventually the milk will be from Canadian/Ontario farms...but I don't believe the facility in Peterborough is complete yet. (I think it's slated for completion/opening/production in 2020? I could be wrong on that date.)

NB: This is/was not a moral or political post at all, just meant to be informative. I believe every person should have the right to eat/drink/buy/sell whatever they need for themselves and their family; whether a domestic or imported product!

it's a great product though. I LOVE it. It tastes a lot more "full" of flavour than other skim milk. Whatever process they are using it works! It's REALLY rich for a 0% fat milk!

Mnemonic

Registered
Looks pretty great, but it all comes down to cost.

From what I can tell on walmart.ca, these 1.5L bottles are coming in at $4.97/1.5L
Not bad, needs more competition to be a decent price.

Thread starter #13

Testbear

Registered
Looks pretty great, but it all comes down to cost.

From what I can tell on walmart.ca, these 1.5L bottles are coming in at $4.97/1.5L
Not bad, needs more competition to be a decent price.
That's the thing is it's a little pricier than regular milk...but half the sugar and 50% more protein. Depends what your budget is but I don't think $5 for 500 cals and 85g of protein is totally unreasonable

Interesting, here in Calgary it's actually cheaper than the other dairies. Then again I buy the skim/lactose free version and lactose free milk is always more expensive...but I can see it is a bit pricier than "regular" milk. I think it's worth it though for the taste and more protein, less sugar!

Mnemonic

Registered
That's the thing is it's a little pricier than regular milk...but half the sugar and 50% more protein. Depends what your budget is but I don't think $5 for 500 cals and 85g of protein is totally unreasonable
Yea, you're right.
But usually "lactose free" milk is just traditional milk fortified with lactase enzyme for improved digestion.

I just refer to the traditional comparison of regular milk vs lactose free at grocery stores as my wife is lactose intolerant.
$4.50 for 6L traditional
$8.99 for 6L lactase added "lactose free" milk
$4.97 for 1.5L lactose free reduced sugar or skim

So it better have some bonus protein and reduced sugar for that rate.
I'll try it when it becomes more mainstream.

Thread starter #17
Just tried it, thanks to reading about it on here. Awesome milk.
Awesome bro. Ya it's a staple for me for sure now. 5 bucks for 90 grams of protein is awesome and it's smooth and sits well in ur belly unlike whey which always digests funny for me. Or regular milk bloats me.

I got some as well. Got the chocolate milk version for the kids. It's the same price as other chocolate brands.
I made a couple protein shakes out of it for myself. I think I'll keep doing that for my pre workout shake. Doesn't have too many carbs in it but enough. If I didn't read about it here I wouldn't have given it a second look.

I just came across this at Walmart the other day and grabbed one chocolate milk and one 2% holy moly couldn’t believe the macros after tasting it...

Hour later a box of cinnamon toast crunch and half the milk was gone... it’s ok bulking season for moi!