What's new

Food for recovery

Thread starter #1
M&B, you already told me not to starve myself but the weather has been so hot here that I am not hungry. I take a super foods meal replacement and soy yoghurt for breakfast, some turmeric and Ginger oaties or Ezekiel bread with vegan cheese and pecan nuts for lunch and another soy yoghurt with vegan protein powder in the evening.

I'm sure it's not enough ... What do you think?

AnimalPak

Registered
Whenever I feel like I'm struggling to get the calories in, I usually try to add in another 2 shakes which consist of protein powder (or greek yogurt), almond (or Peanut) butter, oats, and a banana. Its an easy way to get another 600-1200 calories in a day.

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
MG, we can give you a lot of advice but I think that if you're serious enough about this, it'd be worth your time and money to hire a reputable coach - someone who's known for working with females, in particular.

Even better if they're somewhat-local to your area, not necessary but beneficial.

edit: and by coach I mean particularly someone experienced with nutrition, I know you have some very specific requirements for food and some injuries to train around so they absolutely NEED to be of a high quality, creating a tailored program for you (whether it's just diet, or training as well)

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
M&B, you already told me not to starve myself but the weather has been so hot here that I am not hungry. I take a super foods meal replacement and soy yoghurt for breakfast, some turmeric and Ginger oaties or Ezekiel bread with vegan cheese and pecan nuts for lunch and another soy yoghurt with vegan protein powder in the evening.

I'm sure it's not enough ... What do you think?
Lets start at the beginning and get specific. How many calories do you think you are burning right now? I know not a lot, but let's shoot for slightly over maintenance. I also want to know what you weigh and roughly you BF%

Last edited:
Thread starter #5
Lets start at the beginning and get specific. How many calories do you think you are burning right now? I know not a lot, but let's shoot for slightly over maintenance. I also want to know what you weigh and roughly you BF%
I don't burn anything, I'm sitting on my butt watching TV or on my tablet most of the day. The only calories I might burn is when I do the half hour with the physiotherapist. I do Kinetec once or twice a day but that doesn't require much of an effort. Thanks to you M_B I now started working the upper body again :)

Last time I weighted myself (a month or so ago) my weight was 136 lbs. I'm 5ft7. No idea what my bf % is but I guess it's high because I'm a carb addict :D

AnimalPak, I like the idea of shakes and Greek yoghurt. Thanks for the tip. I might buy some good protein bars too.

Sp -- I saw a nutritionist here a few years ago but all she said was that my diet was good lol. It was a waste of money because I'm sure I don't eat like I should. I'd rather pay you, guys, because you know what you're talking about and I really appreciate your input :)

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
I don't burn anything, I'm sitting on my butt watching TV or on my tablet most of the day. The only calories I might burn is when I do the half hour with the physiotherapist. I do Kinetec once or twice a day but that doesn't require much of an effort. Thanks to you M_B I now started working the upper body again :)

Last time I weighted myself (a month or so ago) my weight was 136 lbs. I'm 5ft7. No idea what my bf % is but I guess it's high because I'm a carb addict :D

AnimalPak, I like the idea of shakes and Greek yoghurt. Thanks for the tip. I might buy some good protein bars too.

Sp -- I saw a nutritionist here a few years ago but all she said was that my diet was good lol. It was a waste of money because I'm sure I don't eat like I should. I'd rather pay you, guys, because you know what you're talking about and I really appreciate your input :)
I like Greek yogurt but I don't think it's vegan friendly. Staying alive burns some calories, plus you need a slight surplus to heal and gain strength back.
What supplements do you use?

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
You're from overseas, right MG?

I know of a couple excellent 'coaches' over there that wouldn't waste your money like the nutritionist

If your overall caloric intake is low just focus on hitting your macros with micro-nutrient dense foods. I'm sure youre well aware of that but its often overlooked, a calorie isnt always just a calorie.

Thread starter #9
I like Greek yogurt but I don't think it's vegan friendly. Staying alive burns some calories, plus you need a slight surplus to heal and gain strength back.
What supplements do you use?
I know it's not vegan friendly but I can eat some if needed. I usually eat soy yoghurt (Alpro On which is supposed to be higher in protein).
I know I burn some calories but not enough and I don't want to put on weight.

I take Vit D, magnesium, Turmeric, Ginger, a Vit B complex and Solgar iron. I'm looking into adding iodine to improve the thyroid function.

I will take whatever you or SP want me to take. I want to heal faster and lift like I used to.

Thank you for,helping me :)

Thread starter #11
If your overall caloric intake is low just focus on hitting your macros with micro-nutrient dense foods. I'm sure youre well aware of that but its often overlooked, a calorie isnt always just a calorie.
I definitely need more protein, good fats and less carbs that's for sure. As you know I don't eat meat, fish, chicken, eggs .... But if needed I will eat Greek yoghurt but not animals ;)

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
I definitely need more protein, good fats and less carbs that's for sure. As you know I don't eat meat, fish, chicken, eggs .... But if needed I will eat Greek yoghurt but not animals ;)
If you are willing to eat a little dairy to enhance your protein intake, good. Eggs, even better. What are your main vegan sources? We need to look athe p.e.r. Of all of them

Yeah and tbh although convenient meat/dairy isnt necessary at all, there are tons of awesome complete amino acid high-protein foods like, quinoa, soy, tofu, lentils & beans in general, ezekiel bread, hummus, peanut/almond butter, buckwheat/wheat, grains, nuts, oats, and a variety of different seeds (ie chia & hemp), and those are just the few I could name off the top of my head. There are also a lot of top-notch brands now a days coming out with solid plant-based protein powders that have phenomenal macros. Being vegan/vegetarian also pretty ensures that most of the things you eat are almost always micro-nutrient dense

Last edited:
Thread starter #14
If you are willing to eat a little dairy to enhance your protein intake, good. Eggs, even better. What are your main vegan sources? We need to look athe p.e.r. Of all of them
I will try and find organic eggs. My main vegan sources are Seitan, Tofu, tahin, peanut butter, Vegan protein powder, lentils, chick peas, nutritional yeast, tempeh, Ezekiel bread, edamame.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
I will try and find organic eggs. My main vegan sources are Seitan, Tofu, tahin, peanut butter, Vegan protein powder, lentils, chick peas, nutritional yeast, tempeh, Ezekiel bread, edamame.
Organic eggs are readily available here. While your vegan sources are good food, they have drawbacks when it comes to the protein content. With peanut butter and tahini, for example, you have to take in an awful lot of fat with the protein, driving the calorie count through the roof. I'll do some digging on these as to the protein efficiency ratio, which is important.

Thread starter #16
Organic eggs are readily available here. While your vegan sources are good food, they have drawbacks when it comes to the protein content. With peanut butter and tahini, for example, you have to take in an awful lot of fat with the protein, driving the calorie count through the roof. I'll do some digging on these as to the protein efficiency ratio, which is important.
I want to avoid weight gain at all costs which has been easy since surgery because of the nausea and stomach pain. A colleague who hadn't seen me in a month visited me earlier and she says I've lost weight.

I never eat more than 1 tbsp tahin or natural peanut butter a day. Haven't had any since surgery.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
I want to avoid weight gain at all costs which has been easy since surgery because of the nausea and stomach pain. A colleague who hadn't seen me in a month visited me earlier and she says I've lost weight.

I never eat more than 1 tbsp tahin or natural peanut butter a day. Haven't had any since surgery.
that is a tiny amount of protein. Not enough to count. The legumes will serve you better. I think it would help you to add a couple of eggs and some dairy. I'll do some research and get back with you. What sort of vegan protein do you use?

Thread starter #18
that is a tiny amount of protein. Not enough to count. The legumes will serve you better. I think it would help you to add a couple of eggs and some dairy. I'll do some research and get back with you. What sort of vegan protein do you use?
I used two so far, the Weider Vegan protein and the Scitec Vegan protein.

Thread starter #19
Ok boss (that will be you M_B).

I have eggs, some dairy and Ezekiel bread will be here tomorrow. Appetite is a little bit better.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
Ok boss (that will be you M_B).

I have eggs, some dairy and Ezekiel bread will be here tomorrow. Appetite is a little bit better.
Keep track of everything you eat tomorrow and post it. Don't go overboard yet on the eggs and dairy. You haven't had any for a while, so let your digestive system adjust. I'd like to see you get up to 100 gm protein a day from all combined sources with an average protein efficiency ratio of 65-70. That's 400 calories. 150 gm carbs would add 600 more, to give you 1000. Fat will make up the rest of your caloric intake, which right now I would guess to be roughly 1500 to 1800 with your bodyweight and level of activity. Egg yolks, dairy fat, nuts, tahini will do the trick.