What's new

Former UFC Champion Geroges St-Pierre Says It is the Steroids Throwing Kicks in MMA (article)

Thread starter Admin #1

~Dr Juice~

Administrator

Former UFC Champion Geroges St-Pierre Says It is the Steroids Throwing Kicks in MMA
October 3rd, 2018

Georges St-Pierre made the unbelievable claim that anabolic steroids are responsible for throwing kicks in mixed martial arts (MMA). According to St-Pierre’s logic, if an MMA athlete could have thrown kicks like that without steroids, he would not have needed to use the performane-enhancing drugs (PEDs) in the first place.

St-Pierre seemed to suggest that steroids create champions rather than the generally accepted belief that steroids make chanpions better. St-Pierre expounded on this argument in comments shared with Shaun Al-Shatti of MMA Fighting on September 30, 2018.

“Look, I remember there was a fight between two opponents, and one guy said, ‘Oh, it’s not the performance-enhancing (drugs) that threw the kick. It’s me,’” St-Pierre said. “Actually, it’s not true. That’s the performance-enhancing drugs that threw the kick, because you wouldn’t have thrown the kick (like that) if you would have not taken them. You know what I mean? So to give you an example, it makes you more creative. It makes you more hungry. It changes the physique.​

Most athletes refute the idea that the use of steroids and PEDs can bestow talent and ability on the user. They believe that an athlete must possess the talent and skills to succeed in the sport if they have any chance of becoming an elite competitor. Without the talent and ability, no amount of steroids will make a difference. Steroids can only improve recuperation and recovery thereby enhancing strength and power.

St-Pierre, on the other hand, suggested that the effects of steroids go far beyond simply increasing recuperation and “strength and conditioning”. St-Pierre claimed steroids “changes the mind” and makes athletes more “creative” and “hungry”

“Also, not only the physique, it changes the mind of the person. So with people, they think it’s only affecting strength and conditioning and stuff like that. No, it doesn’t. It’s not only recuperation, it changes the person entirely. It makes him a better athlete.”​

St-Pierre’s assertion that steroids make athletes more talented is part of his attempt to disqualify MMA athletes guilty of doping from greatest-of-all-time discussions. Unfortunately, St-Pierre’s comments are extremely self-serving given his desire to be considered the GOAT while dismissing other possibly more talented MMA athletes like Jon Jones.

JohnnyBoy

Registered
Steroids absolutely have a massive psychological effect as anyone who's used them can say. My thought patterns, dreams at night, and behaviors are definitely different on vs off.

Jdave

Registered
I think quite a bit gets lost in translation with gsp because of his accent and figure of speech (to date, his best attempt at trash taking was “are you intoxicated” and “I am not impressed by your performance” lol)

I definitely agree with him- steroids improve mental well being, clarity and reaction time. They improve confidence and sharpen movement... so throwing special moves like kicks etc will seem insanely fluid. I don’t think he literally means all kicks in mma are the result of PEDs.

Last edited:
I think if your a gifted athlete you will be more gifted so to speak on peds! but if you a dummy entering ring all juice wont win you fights!! branch said one time if you take away ped from top 10 BB they will still be top 10 you still as a fighter u still need to be a gifted fighter to a certain point! ped will make you much better fighter!!

Personally I agree with GSP.
The stronger you become the more confident your likely to be as well, therefore you will reach for things you normally wouldn't given your enhanced state.
Only makes sense that in the UFC you are going to throw punches and kicks that normally you wouldn't have given your new speed and strength. If you think about the other way around and it would be stupid not too if your on PED's.

When will someone start doing offshore, steroid required fights. Might save them some legal fees and taxes.

Lift4Life

Registered
I'm not too sure about the psychological benefit (but I guess it could exist as placebo effect) but for sure physiological benefits are beyond doubt. If you get over confident on steroids and over estimate yourself in an unrealistic way, you're just going to lose. That why I feel iffy about it.

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
I can kind of read between the lines and distill what I * think * he meant to say but as mentioned, GSP quotes, even when he speaks english just don't translate well at all and he comes off sounding uninformed or even ignorant if you don't add a grain of salt to his message

biguglynewf

Super Moderator
I think as interpreted it’s ridiculous.

Steroids can’t teach me to kick if I can’t kick. Just like they can’t teach me to hit a ball if I can’t hit.

However, they may make my kicks stronger and faster. They may give me confidences through that as well since I now maybe able to land or even toss up a kick or a punch that I wasn’t quick enough or strong enough to do before.

Similar as they could push a 20 hr hitter to a 40 hr hitter because all those warning track power fly balls may be sailing into the upper deck via things like increased strength and bat speed.

Two words - Brady Anderson lol

So as interpreted I say off the mark, however if this was more the angle he was trying to paint then I say I agree.

If you brought it down to the basic level by the above comments by georges you could just pump a guy full of steroids and he could be a great fighter..... ask Pud how that worked out for him.

From my experiences coaching many fighters. The top guys athletically are far ahead of the average participants. All the drugs in the world would not help the average person catch up to their genetic advsntages. At the top levels PED’s are most beneficial for recovery and allowing ageing athletes to still compete at the highest levels.

biguglynewf

Super Moderator
From my experiences coaching many fighters. The top guys athletically are far ahead of the average participants. All the drugs in the world would not help the average person catch up to their genetic advsntages. At the top levels PED’s are most beneficial for recovery and allowing ageing athletes to still compete at the highest levels.
Exactly. They can make everyone a little stronger or a little faster......or train a little harder or longer.....but they can’t make something I’m not.

Thread starter Admin #13
Former UFC Champion Georges St-Pierre Thinks Snitching on Steroid Users is a Good Thing for UFC
October 10th, 2018

Georges St-Pierre doesn’t think snitching is necessarily wrong in mixed martial arts (MMA). It is more of a “grey zone” according to the former UFC champion. If it’s good enough for the American criminal justice system, then it is good enough for the UFC.

St-Pierre promoted the benefits of snitching as part of a wide range of topics discussed with Shaun Al-Shatti and published on the MMA Fighting website on September 30, 2018.

“So that’s the thing: If you look at the American justice system, the crime system, when they catch one bandit, when they catch someone for a felony, the guy has a chance to reduce his sentence normally if he’s talking,” St-Pierre said. “That’s how the crime system is made in the United States. USADA is from the United States, they’re using the same thing.”​
St-Pierre hesitated in calling out Jon “Bones” Jones for purportedly snitching in exchange for a 30-month reduction in his suspension for Oral Turinabol metabolites. But St-Pierre suggested that the end justifies the means. And for St-Pierre, he strongly believes in both giving athletes a second chance and doing whatever it takes to catch steroid users in MMA.

“I believe in second chances. I believe every individual should have a second chance. It’s not black, it’s not white; it’s a grey zone. I just don’t know what to make out of it."​
“If it helps the system to get better — I don’t know if there’s that much restrictions or what he did for them, but there’s compromise to be made. But I don’t know. Like I said, it’s a grey zone; it’s not black, it’s not white. My knowledge of Jon Jones’ case is not good enough to make a comment on this, but I think it’s a good solution to go back up the ladder and catch people cheating, catch other people. It’s like the crime [system], the criminal justice [system]. That’s how they do it in the U.S.”​

St-Pierre seemingly justifies the use of snitching to fight the war on doping because the United States makes extensive use of snitches in its war on drugs. This is not a very strong defense of snitching.

Of course, St-Pierre is no stranger to controversy. During the same interview with Al-Shatti, St-Pierre claimed steroids don’t improve the strength and conditioning of a talented and skilled athlete. St-Pierre suggested that steroids actually give athletes talent and skills they would otherwise not possess.

Does anyone know how extensively USADA tests SARMs these days - or if a test for all SARMs even exists? I feel like I hear about a new SARM every week these days that give you many same benefits steroids do. It would make beating the system super easy if tests do not exist.