What's new

GDA' and hypertrophy

robertdeuce

Heavyweight
Just wondering your guys thoughts on the possible affect that glucose disposal agent have on hypertrophy by way of activating AMPK and lowering mTOR.

I know that there are studies that show how metformin has a significant negative affect on hypertrophy and have heard that berberine is a good alternative which seems to be the main ingredient in glass including chromium.

Would like to hear your guys thoughts.

robertdeuce

Heavyweight
Found this study thay says it suppresses mTOR but not smart enough to form an opinion on whether the affect would be enough to not use it. Basically does the positives outweigh the negatives

Last edited:

Old RhynoS

VET
Top Poster Of Month
While it is an interesting study, I would like to see the results on someone that trains and eats properly. Also anabolics would play into a much higher level of mps.
Interesting nonetheless.
@Goldenrod may have some literature on this.

robertdeuce

Heavyweight
The reason I'm asking this is because I've been taking a GDA that has berberine in it and a post just popped up on my Instagram talking about how metformin activates AMPK therfore suppressing mTOR then I remembered how people recommend berberine as a substitute with same benefits.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220621-171103_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-171103_Instagram.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220621-171058_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-171058_Instagram.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Walkerblocker

Super Heavyweight
Berberine and metformin are nothing alike. The potential benefits can be similar but the two are not the same.

If you’re using PEDs and living the bbing lifestyle, metformin use and the potential to suppress mTOR should not be a concern. The benefits of metformin will harbour an environment that is conducive for muscle growth.

Walkerblocker

Super Heavyweight
I remember reading Jordan peters logs from like 16’ or 17’ maybe and he mentioned at the time that he didn’t use metformin because of potential mTOR suppression. At the time he was using multiple grams of gear per week, gh, slin etc. Logically, a little bit of metformin would not stop that gain train but he decided to not use it anyways.

I think as a community in general, we need to be less focused on eeking out every possible gram of muscle growth and more focused on negating some of the harm that we do, while still getting shit done. Part of that includes not getting too caught up in all the nuances that we encounter. That’s not to say don’t ask questions or start discussions but more so a general statement.

Top Bottom