What's new

Growing your own food?

Thread starter #1

kaly11

Registered
I have been fortunate enough to grow my own produce and fruit in the summer months at my place for a couple years now and I can tell you that fresh herbs, vegetables, and fruit in your diet make the meals much more enjoyable not to mention the haul every year.

My Family also has a farm so I am fortunate enough to get some fantastic beef, chickens, eggs etc right off the farm as well.

One of the pro's I know that is big into this is Evan Centopani which shows on some of his youtube videos.

Upjohn

Registered
We re very limited in space for a ‘grow area’. The wife has a plethora of herbs for our dinners , i usually do some type of hot pepper and tomatoes (cherry) plants.

Looking forward to new scenery next spring , maybe that'll include some more room for a biggerbettergarden area a-la @kaly11 👌

My backyard is far too small but when I was living in the countryside I used to grow green beans, tomatoes, leeks, pumpkin, celery, carrots, salads and many more. Now all I have is parsley, mint, lemon grass, coriander, thyme and other spices (all organic),

zenmonky

Registered
and the prices are nuts. stuperstore is selling brussel sprouts for almost 6/lb.
i was at a ladies house last week who was into permaculture. her whole fron and back yard were densely backed with edible vegetation. i didnt think a city lot would be enough to feed a family but i could tell this garden totally could. she said this method grows healthier plants and takes less work.

Goldenrod

Registered
I love steak and a good beef roast but little can compare to fresh vegetables cut from your garden, steamed and right to the table. Extremely healthy and flavour is amazing. We have apple trees too - awesome.
I eat the tomatoes like apples. Highly recommend it.