What's new

Hack Squat Machine

XANIMAL

Heavyweight
Anyone got any tips of set up and foot position for hack squat. I want to make this my second primary leg movement after barbell squats. Ive tried various settings on it and foot postions and it just always hasnt felt right. My knees really take a beating on it.

Lex

Super Heavyweight
do you mean one of these bad boys?
c8133048ba73114292562fb8df6b8dc0.jpg

if so, I just have feet about shoulder width apart and positioned approximately where guy in pic is standing, never any knee pain and I go 3 plates for 15 reps ass to ground absolutely murders my legs I do a little prayer each time before hopping on it. If I understand corrctly this machine doesnt engage stabilizer muscles like a true squat would?

XANIMAL

Heavyweight
Those ones i dont find too bad and do like doing them in reverse. My gym only has this kind. It is does feel a lot different then those

Attachments

Lex

Super Heavyweight
Those ones i dont find too bad and do like doing them in reverse. My gym only has this kind. It is does feel a lot different then those
ah ok I dont think we have one of those, or atleast Ive never seen it and used it so cant comment on that one

rated_rko

Super Heavyweight
View attachment 16281

if so, I just have feet about shoulder width apart and positioned approximately where guy in pic is standing, never any knee pain and I go 3 plates for 15 reps ass to ground absolutely murders my legs I do a little prayer each time before hopping on it. If I understand corrctly this machine doesnt engage stabilizer muscles like a true squat would?
one of my old gyms had this machine. i really enjoyed.

Reactions: Lex

Bigtuna84

Super Moderator
Anyone got any tips of set up and foot position for hack squat. I want to make this my second primary leg movement after barbell squats. Ive tried various settings on it and foot postions and it just always hasnt felt right. My knees really take a beating on it.
Move your feet more under you and dont go super deep where elasticity and glute force fires you out of the hole. This will rob quads to an extent of not just force but TUT. You want quads ? Stop at parallel.

Lex

Super Heavyweight
one of my old gyms had this machine. i really enjoyed.
ya I like it a lot since I dont see any of the foam pads around to add to the bars so when I do squats absolutely crushes my vertabrae which is quite prominent, probably my bad form too doesnt help, but last time I tried bar squats had excrutiating neck pain for a good week and couldnt do much exercise without my head feeling like it would explode. this machine hits my legs very good and avoids injury like mentioned above, but heard from someone its doesnt engage stabilizers because you are basically on a railroad track unlike true squats.

WatchWho

Super Heavyweight
@Lex
That machine looks nice. I'd use it - since I prefer hack squats - due to lower back issues.
I am accustomed to just using the standard smith machine for hack squats and such...

Reactions: Lex

Jonesy83

Super Heavyweight
The gym I go to has these hack squat machines where the pad is on your glutes and lower back. I find I have to put alot of effort into just pushing myself back against it I can only hold the position with 4 plates a side or less and I'm not sure if its because of my height but a slightly wider footing with my feet ahead seems to help but it really doesn't compare to those old Atlantis style hack squat machines.

Attachments

manfreakyca

Super Heavyweight
View attachment 16281

if so, I just have feet about shoulder width apart and positioned approximately where guy in pic is standing, never any knee pain and I go 3 plates for 15 reps ass to ground absolutely murders my legs I do a little prayer each time before hopping on it. If I understand correctly this machine doesnt engage stabilizer muscles like a true squat would?
I did these with up to 800 pnds before my knees got fucked!! For regular hacks feet high you workin hams more!! I keep my feet about half way down the platform for regular hack squat shoulder width apart!!

Deadmouse

Super Heavyweight
I agree with bigtuna here. Feet under you = more quad focused. Feet away from you = more glutes and hams.

And add a small pause at the bottom.

PS: don't do like that douchebag at my gym. He uses the adjustable safety stopper on the bottom of the machine like a f*ckn spring to help him get back up. He just slams the heck out of it.

Buffchicken

Thunder Chicken
Reverse is nice to get really deep, but if I’m trying to go heavy and take it easy on my back I’ll put my back to the pad.... all in all I love this machine for legs. Some gyms don’t have them, it’s a requirement for me when I’m looking for a new gym

Buffchicken

Thunder Chicken
I variate foot positions set to set, then at the end after I do a heavy drop set, I’ll do a burn out/cool down set where I go 10/10/10/10/10 narrow/slightly wider/wide/slightly wider/narrow... mind you I won’t touch the Hack machine until AFTER squats and RDL’s. I follow this with lunges and then calf’s to finish...
I’m going a little off thread topic here but just showing where and how I use this machine..

Leg day looks like this:
- Leg extensions/hammy curls supersets
- Heavy leg press a solid 4 warm up sets with alternated foot positioning, then 3 working sets
- Squats (Warm ups) 3 working sets
- Hack squats (warm ups) 3 working sets (8-12 reps heavy ass weight) Ending with long gruelling set changing up foot position every 10 or so reps up to 50 ; let’s say my final cool down set will have only a plate and a 25 per side
- Lunges
- Seated calf raises and calf extensions on heavy leg press
- Stationary bike for 20 mins

Buffchicken

Thunder Chicken
Also, if you’re a bad motherfucker look into some heavy box squats with chains .

Deadmouse

Super Heavyweight
Something i saw this morning before actually going to the gym for my leg day.

Did 2 sets of these without the isometric part at the end. It's like a sissy squat variation. They are fucking awesome.

Steveperry334

Rookie
Move your feet more under you and dont go super deep where elasticity and glute force fires you out of the hole. This will rob quads to an extent of not just force but TUT. You want quads ? Stop at parallel.
Thanks for this.
If you have your feet close to you, the depth would then in turn come more from the knee joint and less at the hip joint. With that said, why rob yourself of the extra range of motion and therefore greater mechanical work/ volume accumulated by stopping at parallel? You can always pause at full depth and get a stretch at the quads if you’re concerned with elastic energy having to great of a contribution.
thoughts on this?

XANIMAL

Heavyweight
Ive been doing this the past few leg workouts. Damn what a difference. I use to put my feet more up. But right below damn what a quad stretch and doesnt feel as bad on the knees. You the man