What's new

Hair Growth Difference between creams and injectables

monsterFreak

Middleweight
Was wondering if someone else had the same situation.
So on creams I had a massive hair growth - I mean like in a month I had a massive beard and over a few months, and some of my receding hairline completely reversed. Although I also had a massive hair growth on my body too which I never had before.
Now that Im on injectibles - the hair growth is very slow. I haven't trimmed my beard in months and it seems to have stopped growing after a while. And my hairline is sort of back to pre-cream treatment.
I know the increase in DHT causes androgenic alopecia and that was expected, but I could never figure out what caused the massive hair growth from creams.
Anyone had this experience before?

Edit: By creams, I mean the Testosterone cream

BigBen

Super Heavyweight
Ok, that's curious. What typically stimulates beard growth, would as you mentioned, kill scalp hair, if you are inclined towards androgenic alopecia. Where did you apply the test gel / cream? They say if you put it on your balls, you get really high levels of dht out of it.

monsterFreak

Middleweight
Ok, that's curious. What typically stimulates beard growth, would as you mentioned, kill scalp hair, if you are inclined towards androgenic alopecia. Where did you apply the test gel / cream? They say if you put it on your balls, you get really high levels of dht out of it.
Exactly my point - I thought Id be balding atleast somewhat on cream but that never happened.
So at the beginning, I was applying it on my shoulders and then switched over to my balls. I applied in on my balls for about a month but the hair growth never stopped.
Also my testosterone levels remained exactly the same before and after cream, so I was wondering if they remove/add something in the cream that caused the hair growth that was not testosterone ?

monsterFreak

Middleweight
So the only hormone or active ingredient was test?
Im not sure whats the difference between hormone and active ingredient you mention. In the prescription it was Testosterone Cream. Thats it

Goldenrod

VET
It was a compounded cream from the pharmacy
I used compounded test cream from a pharmacy too and I noticed no difference than injections. Test is test and blood tests with both showed the test numbers were very close. No difference in hair growth. I have never heard of difference in hair growth between injectable vs. cream.
Most here hate cream, I liked it but it was just for TRT and I always used my shoulder.
Two pharmacies in town make the compounded cream and within 5 minutes it absorbs into the skin according to the prescription. If you were taking it for growth it would not compete to injectable.

monsterFreak

Middleweight
I used compounded test cream from a pharmacy too and I noticed no difference than injections. Test is test and blood tests with both showed the test numbers were very close. No difference in hair growth. I have never heard of difference in hair growth between injectable vs. cream.
Most here hate cream, I liked it but it was just for TRT and I always used my shoulder.
Two pharmacies in town make the compounded cream and within 5 minutes it absorbs into the skin according to the prescription. If you were taking it for growth it would not compete to injectable.
Im on the same boat - took the cream for a few months and I hated it. Only when I was on injectables, I noticed the difference in my symptoms.
And yes I agree that test is test, but is there some difference in getting it absorbed via skin vs getting it absorbed through intra-muscular injection?
I don't really care for the hair growth tbh as I already got quite a lot from the cream, but just wondered what exactly did cause the hair to grow so much? Something I was curious to know just in case I ever want to look into getting some hair back in future lol

BigBen

Super Heavyweight
Here's one possible explanation, highly speculative. The test cream produces a short spike in blood test levels, shutting you down from endogenous production, and overall, lowering your overall 24 hour exposure to test and dht. With lower exposure to test and dht, your scalp hair grew faster. With a subcutaneous or intramuscular injection of a test depot, you have higher continuous test levels over 24 hours of the day, more time to convert to dht and stunt growth of scalp hair.

Old RhynoS

Super Heavyweight
Maybe when you were running that there cream on your ball sack your balls dropped. And the beard is post puberty growth???

Just messing with you 😂

I can't see there being much of a difference , elevated test levels , be it from cream or a shot , are the elevated test levels. Especially with blood work behind it.
Strange tho.

tristan

Super Heavyweight
I know the increase in DHT causes androgenic alopecia and that was expected, but I could never figure out what caused the massive hair growth from creams.

Accelerated body hair and facial hair growth will also be down to DHT.

Testosterone converts to DHT by undergoing 5-alpha reduction.

The abundance of 5-alpha reductase is highest in the sex organs, but it's also present in the skin, which is, after all, the largest organ of the body.

So... saturating the skin with testosterone, in the presence of this 5-AR will yield in a significant amount of conversion of Testosterone to DHT. Resultant androgenic affects will include accelerated hair growth on the face and body, but also hair thinning on the scalp due to [head] hair follicles shrinking and then becoming unviable.

If you're pinning test, then I guess you could reduce local hair thinning on the scalp through the use of a 5-AR blocker used as a shampoo. There are a bunch of products available (both natural and synthetic). Seems counterintuitive, and there isn't really an accepted theory as to why DHT causes growth of some hairs and thinning of other hairs. Some people think it's gravity, but I think it's probably more complex.

Last edited:

monsterFreak

Middleweight
Accelerated body hair and facial hair growth will also be down to DHT.

Testosterone converts to DHT by undergoing 5-alpha reduction.

The abundance of 5-alpha reductase is highest in the sex organs, but it's also present in the skin, which is, after all, the largest organ of the body.

So... saturating the skin with testosterone, in the presence of this 5-AR will yield in a significant amount of conversion of Testosterone to DHT. Resultant androgenic affects will include accelerated hair growth on the face and body, but also hair thinning on the scalp due to [head] hair follicles shrinking and then becoming unviable.

If you're pinning test, then I guess you could reduce local hair thinning on the scalp through the use of a 5-AR blocker used as a shampoo. There are a bunch of products available (both natural and synthetic). Seems counterintuitive, and there isn't really an accepted theory as to why DHT causes growth of some hairs and thinning of other hairs. Some people think it's gravity, but I think it's probably more complex.
Oh wow! Thats an answer that definitely explains as to what might be going on. I wish I could’ve tested my DHT levels at that time. But yes that is so true that on cream I had hair growth on my shoulders, back and even around elbows! But now on injections, the growth has only slowed on my head and beard but not on other parts.
Well that explains the difference in the hair growth and tbh, Im liking the slow growth. Less money and time spent on haircuts and if I do start going bald, then Im all down for a bald head!

monsterFreak

Middleweight
Maybe when you were running that there cream on your ball sack your balls dropped. And the beard is post puberty growth???

Just messing with you 😂

I can't see there being much of a difference , elevated test levels , be it from cream or a shot , are the elevated test levels. Especially with blood work behind it.
Strange tho.
Loool and now on injections, my balls are nowhere to be found! Btw, when I did bloodwork after the cream, my test levels remained exactly the same as before the cream, so Im not even sure if it even worked properly

monsterFreak

Middleweight
Here's one possible explanation, highly speculative. The test cream produces a short spike in blood test levels, shutting you down from endogenous production, and overall, lowering your overall 24 hour exposure to test and dht. With lower exposure to test and dht, your scalp hair grew faster. With a subcutaneous or intramuscular injection of a test depot, you have higher continuous test levels over 24 hours of the day, more time to convert to dht and stunt growth of scalp hair.
Hmm interesting - yeah that could be it. But I think a fluctuation like that would lead to hair reduction. Plus after a while I told the doc that I’ll split the cream and take it twice a day, so in that case, there’s not much time before my body got a 2nd dose.
But I think what @tristan says makes a lot of sense and maybe thats why the growth was so prevalent on the cream

tristan

Super Heavyweight
Btw, when I did bloodwork after the cream, my test levels remained exactly the same as before the cream, so Im not even sure if it even worked properly

The efficacy of cream isn't very good anyway.
And if you have genetically high 5-AR, then perhaps most converted to DHT.

Top Bottom