What's new

Hiring a contest prep coach

Bigbert92

Rookie
I'm starting to think about competing in the 2017 NB Provincials. This would be my 2nd show and i'm thinking about hiring a coach a good head of time to be at my best. I was thinking about John Meadows. I would like to hear you guys take on it! Thanks :)

Dream_catcher

Super Heavyweight
waste of money in my opinion. well not a waste of money just not economical for doing a provincial show. unless you're a gunning for nationals or something you don't need a big name coach.
you could easily hire a decent coach within Canada for online prep that has incredible experience or results for a quarter of what john would charge.
I personally don't know what he charges for a contest prep but just basing on the fact that he is one of the most sought after coaches in the world. he's probably not cheap.

Bigbert92

Rookie
Yeah i know what you mean, thing is i was looking at local prices like greg doucette and tbh prices are not that big of a difference!

Dream_catcher

Super Heavyweight
there are exceptions but never hire a pro to coach you. hire someone who coaches for a living.
that way you have more time and attention to detail from their part.
you hiring an active pro, he's probably prepping himself, busy with other clients and whatever else he has with his day job.
i'm not saying this applies to every single pro coach out there. John meadows is definitely the exception.

but would you hire big ramy or jay cutler to coach you or would you hire chris aceto?
there are good pro coaches out there. but half of them got there based on elite genetics.
I think you're stuck up on hiring a pro for some reason. there are plenty of good coaches in Canada,

CerealKiller

Super Heavyweight
Greg Doucette is pricey, and although he has some hate against him hes a very experienced person and gets people shredded that's for sure. Id say hire a coach, there are some great ones here in NB as well! is it needed? no, but it for sure will make it easier.