What's new

How I boosted my levels of GABA neurotransmitter

tristan

Rookie
I've been meaning to start this thread for a while, on the suggestion of 66Chevy and Goldenrod...

So... You've heard of Adrenaline? Dopamine? Serotonin? All Neurotransmitters.

But have you heard about their little cousin GABA?

To some degree or other, most people have had anxiety, depression, thought loops (rumination), short temper, or neuroticism.

I've had a selection of all of them, to different measures, at different times.

Then, over a six-month period, I started to read and research a lot about GABA. I now regularly eat and drink things that boost my GABA, as well as supplement with Magnesium and P5P which I've managed to get made very inexpensively at a compounding pharmacy. I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and feel a lot better for it. While my experiments are by no means a PubMed article, there's a huge amount of clinical evidence on the topic.

This is the video that I've found most useful, and send to my buds most often. Enjoy!

tristan

Rookie
My supplementation regimen for GABA includes:
  • Magnesium
  • Glutamine
  • Vitamin B6 in the form of P5P from a compounding pharmacy (as opposed to Pyridoxine HCL which is widely sold but not nearly as effective. Note Pharmacies in BC can sell this without a prescription. It seems that in Quebec they can't )
  • High-theanine tea (I have a list of them somewhere if anyone's interested)
  • Lots of fermented foods like Sauerkraut
I don't supplement with the GABA molecule (available in drug stores), since I don't believe that the ingested molecule can effectively pass the blood-brain barrier. There are different opinions on this matter though.

Last edited:

tristan

Rookie
mods/admins: pls delete. I have fat fingers.

Last edited:

Goldenrod

Rookie
Interesting topic and one worth discussing especially if taking boldenone and experiencing anxiety. I also put a thread on this after Chev suggested we discuss elsewhere.
I argued with two naturopaths across the street, one I see from time to time, that GABA doesn’t cross the BBB and therefore must be useless but she lists100’s of cases where she helped people (not their names) and helped stop before it started or kept them off benzo’s.
Another great post bud!

Last edited:

Mooobaby

Not to be a dick but....
Vet
Appreciate the info, would be interested in the teas.

irongame66

I take GABA at nigh (1 to 2 grams) and the sleep support it provides me is amazing.
Not sure if oral GABA has any other benefits, but for this one benefit it does provide, is awesome.

Mnemonic

Rookie
My supplementation regimen for GABA includes:
  • Magnesium
  • Glutamine
  • Vitamin B6 in the form of P5P from a compounding pharmacy (as opposed to Pyridoxine HCL which is widely sold but not nearly as effective. Note Pharmacies in BC can sell this without a prescription. It seems that in Quebec they can't )
  • High-theanine tea (I have a list of them somewhere if anyone's interested)
  • Lots of fermented foods like Sauerkraut
I don't supplement with the GABA molecule (available in drug stores), since I don't believe that the ingested molecule can effectively pass the blood-brain barrier. There are different opinions on this matter though.
Thanks for the info, specifically the Vit B6... I currently take Pyridoxine HCL from nutritional yeast I have daily.
If I were to pick up a source of P5P in addition to my yeast, would that be too much B6?
I am assuming no since it's a water soluble vitamin.

I also get B6 from Banana, avocado, spinach, carrots and eggs daily.
From what I have read, the toxicity level is insanely high and food sources are basically negligible.

Last edited: