What's new

Interested in your current training goals

Thread starter #1
Hey guys,

What are you current layouts for training? What's your split? Do you calculate volume?

Most importantly, what goal(s) are you trying to achieve with your training?

I'm trying to get a vibe of the current members' goals here this is why I'm asking something similar in the diet forum.

For me personally I'm trying to be able to go longer bouts and still be as intense. So basically I'm trying to cram large volume of multiple muscles in sessions (usually 1 sometimes 2 per day along with run and/or swim some days). I like exercises like snatch, clean, clean and jerk, front/back squat, deadlift and its variations, etc. (compound movements pretty much, with some accessory lifts) I don't have a split per say I have a total volume that I'll aim for each week for exercises. Goal I'm trying to achieve with this training is to be massive while being able to have enough cardio to hang with the cardio bunnies. Lol

Thanks for your participation!

I have been natural for 12 years or more (my diet sucks) and my goal is to stay lean (and mean). I'm older than most here and I have to listen to my body more. I have been working out around lingering injuries for years (shoulder, ITBS, knee, neck).

Before my surgery I used to do 35 to 45 min of fasted cardio (treadmill) every morning and lift weights EOD. Light weights, one set of 36 to 45 reps, 3 exercises per muscle. No rest at all, everything back to back.

JameoN

Registered
Monday Upper body chest/shoulders/tris
Tuesday Lower body legs
Wed Rest
Thurs Upper body back/bis
Friday Lower body legs
Saturday/Sunday rest
Really trying to build me legs massively. Chest/shoulders is 4 excercises a piece and 3 for tris. Back is 5 excercises and 3 for bis. Legs is 5 excercises and 2 calves. Everything is started with compound lifts for strength (bench, dead’s, squats) 5x5 usually then everything else is hyper.

Thread starter #4
I have been natural for 12 years or more (my diet sucks) and my goal is to stay lean (and mean). I'm older than most here and I have to listen to my body more. I have been working out around lingering injuries for years (shoulder, ITBS, knee, neck).

Before my surgery I used to do 35 to 45 min of fasted cardio (treadmill) every morning and lift weights EOD. Light weights, one set of 36 to 45 reps, 3 exercises per muscle. No rest at all, everything back to back.
That's a good amount of cardio no question MG. Was your goal before your surgery to maintain mass and fitness while staying as lean as well?
Were your injuries mostly caused in the gym?

Thread starter #5
Monday Upper body chest/shoulders/tris
Tuesday Lower body legs
Wed Rest
Thurs Upper body back/bis
Friday Lower body legs
Saturday/Sunday rest
Really trying to build me legs massively. Chest/shoulders is 4 excercises a piece and 3 for tris. Back is 5 excercises and 3 for bis. Legs is 5 excercises and 2 calves. Everything is started with compound lifts for strength (bench, dead’s, squats) 5x5 usually then everything else is hyper.
Leg mass is one of my favorite goals to go after lol! Have you just recently upped the leg volume JameoN? How have you been responding to it so far?

That's a good amount of cardio no question MG. Was your goal before your surgery to maintain mass and fitness while staying as lean as well?
Were your injuries mostly caused in the gym?
I abused my body for years, they are overuse injuries Samwall.
My goal considering my age is/was to maintain some "lean" mass (I wish I could be as lean as I used to be but being post menopausal I put on weight)

JameoN

Registered
Leg mass is one of my favorite goals to go after lol! Have you just recently upped the leg volume JameoN? How have you been responding to it so far?
Volumes really helped a lot. Especially with quad extensions and ham curls. My back gets waaaayy to pumped doing squats for volume so I just try to up my 5x5 PR every time.

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
Hey guys,

What are you current layouts for training? What's your split?
quads/calves
back/bis/abs
chest/tris/abs
hams/calves (or rest, if I feel it's necessary)
delts/abs
arms/abs
rest/repeat

Do you calculate volume?
Not explicitly, but most workouts have roughly 6-8 working sets and another 3-4 utter failure sets

Most importantly, what goal(s) are you trying to achieve with your training?
I always need overall size, and would prefer to add it 2:1 upper:lower body

Testbear

Registered
Currently getting back to into it. The last few months have been rough

Pressing movements are reverse pyramid

Monday
Bench 3,6,8
Incline 6,8,10
Shoulder press 6,8,10
Back and arms bodybuilding pump

Tuesday
Safety squat volume
RDL
GHR
Leg press

Thursday
Incline bench 5,6,8
Cg bench 6,8,10
Incline db 8,10,12

Saturday
Max deadlift variation 1-5rm, 8-10x
squat work up to 1-5rm,8-10x
Barbell rows 3x
Snatch grip Shrugs 3x
Leg press 5x20
Hyperextension 5,10,20
Ghr

Thread starter #10
quads/calves
back/bis/abs
chest/tris/abs
hams/calves (or rest, if I feel it's necessary)
delts/abs
arms/abs
rest/repeat

Not explicitly, but most workouts have roughly 6-8 working sets and another 3-4 utter failure sets

I always need overall size, and would prefer to add it 2:1 upper:lower body
Cool SP how is recovery during your prep with those all out sets? Still decent I suppose since you aren't budging volume too too much?

Thread starter #11
Currently getting back to into it. The last few months have been rough

Pressing movements are reverse pyramid

Monday
Bench 3,6,8
Incline 6,8,10
Shoulder press 6,8,10

Tuesday
Safety squat volume
RDL
GHR
Leg press

Thursday
Incline bench 5,6,8
Cg bench 6,8,10
Incline db 8,10,12

Saturday
Max deadlift variation 1-5rm, 8-10x
squat work up to 1-5rm,8-10x
Barbell rows 3x
Snatch grip Shrugs 3x
Leg press 5x20
Hyperextension 5,10,20
Ghr
Testbear with this layout/getting back into it will you be making any drastic changes once you feel in better shape? And that Tues must be painful I'm sure lol

My goals are always to get stronger and beat my former PRs in competition. Current split is:

Monday
Squats
Upper back

Tuesday
DL
Bench
SHoulders
Bis/Tris

Thursday
Squat
Upper back

Friday
DL
Bench
SHoulders
Bis/Tris

The Squat varies from Monday to Thursday as does Bench and DL. For example maybe a high bar squat Monday and then a safety bar squat on Thursday, a conventional DL Tuesday and then a deficit deadlift Friday. Volume/set/rep scheme changes every 4 weeks. I Do blocks of 4 weeks so high volume for 4 weeks, then a mid rep range for 4 weeks then a peak 4 week block for the competition. I also do mobility/warm up both before and after each session because I am an old immobile fuck. LOL

snowpatrol

Super Moderator
Cool SP how is recovery during your prep with those all out sets? Still decent I suppose since you aren't budging volume too too much?
My recovery is *usually* fine as long as I have intraworkout carbs+EAAs and a decent amount of test in my system

Things start to hurt more, for longer, when any or all of those get dropped closer to the show

Testbear

Registered
Testbear with this layout/getting back into it will you be making any drastic changes once you feel in better shape? And that Tues must be painful I'm sure lol
Right now I'm off everything including my trt due to travels. Just been maintaining the last couple months surprisingly well, to be honest and not the best diet due to not having a kitchen for 5 weeks!

There won't be any drastic changes in the training. Just a bit more volume for bodybuilding work. But there will be big changes for diet, once back home. Will be on the vertical diet by Stan efferding, doing a good clean bulk and expirementing with a high dose eq cycle

If anones interested in verticals diet. Shoot me a pm

Last edited:
Thread starter #15
My goals are always to get stronger and beat my former PRs in competition. Current split is:

Monday
Squats
Upper back

Tuesday
DL
Bench
SHoulders
Bis/Tris

Thursday
Squat
Upper back

Friday
DL
Bench
SHoulders
Bis/Tris

The Squat varies from Monday to Thursday as does Bench and DL. For example maybe a high bar squat Monday and then a safety bar squat on Thursday, a conventional DL Tuesday and then a deficit deadlift Friday. Volume/set/rep scheme changes every 4 weeks. I Do blocks of 4 weeks so high volume for 4 weeks, then a mid rep range for 4 weeks then a peak 4 week block for the competition. I also do mobility/warm up both before and after each session because I am an old immobile fuck. LOL
Lolll @ the immobile comment rhyno

Do you always go full ROM on squats? Or you'll throw in some box squats here and there also?

Lolll @ the immobile comment rhyno

Do you always go full ROM on squats? Or you'll throw in some box squats here and there also?
I always go full range on squats. I squat much deeper then required for competition but it is how I have always squatted so I like it. I find box squats ok but never above parallel and even that is high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorbate

Registered
I got bored, ate too much and now have to cut again, lol.

Anyhow

Legs
12 sets squats around 20 reps per set. Once I can do more than 20 on the first set then I’ll up the weight by 10 lbs. I use pause rest to finish reps, but towards the end it’s not happening.
Ham curls 6x15 reps, I would love to ad in straight legged dead’s but my performis siatica is bugging me.
Calves, both seated and on a leg press machine. This varies depending on how my ankles feel.

Chest
Incline cable dumbells
Warm up sets then keep increasing weights until I can’t do 8 reps. If I do 10 sets, so be it
Cable crossovers 4x12-14
Laying on the floor flat dumbells 4x10
Push-ups on the edge of a bench 3x30 is what I’m doing right now.
Sometime front delts 4x20. Sometimes side raises 4x20

Back
Deadlifts 12x20 reps
Lat pull downs I do first one to 15 reps then keep adding weight until I can’t do 8
Rear delts 4x20

Arms
Olympic bar curls. Warm up and keep adding weight until I can’t do 8 reps
Concentration curls or hammer curls or cable cross over double bicep pose curls 4x12-14

Tricep pushdowns. Warm up and keep adding weight until I can’t do 8
Skull crushers or kick backs 4x12-14

Shoulders

Barbell presses warm up and keep adding weight until I can’t do 8
Side laterals 4x20
Front laterals 4x20
Rear delts pec dec 4x20
Rear delts flies 4x20

If I feel too tired to lift I take a day off and do cardio. 30 min fairly intense

If I skip a few days, I start with legs first. They are a priority. I’m doing delts on other days because I, getting bigger shoulders, they used to really lag and have almost caught up.

I normally train 5 days a week.
Every set is full out, I rest about 2 min between sets.