What's new

Internet sticks ?

CurtisP

VET
Maybe I am out to lunch...??
But could one not buy a stick that plugged into your laptop and was hooked to the internet ?
I need to investigate into this for the summer getting into some personal water crafts and doing test and tunes on the water with the laptop, but some of the new software is internet based.

thanks

Goldenrod

VET
Yes, you can. I haven't investigated it in a while but if your going to check out the security flaws. Most doors can be shut with Malwarebytes Pro.
My father can pretty much hack anything and worked in the internet providing business for rural areas long before xplorernet and other companies were doing so. He will know if there are any security flaws. I will ask him and send you a PM.

Harley00

Super Heavyweight
Pretty sure you can link your cell phone internet to any device ? Shares your internet from phone with somthing else.
Itz called Hotspot or tethering.

3ml

VET
Maybe I am out to lunch...??
But could one not buy a stick that plugged into your laptop and was hooked to the internet ?
I need to investigate into this for the summer getting into some personal water crafts and doing test and tunes on the water with the laptop, but some of the new software is internet based.

thanks

Used to use them for work all the time but around 2015 the cell phone plans got good for data and just hotspot my phone.

I dont know if the sticks still exist or not

Double D

Seasoned VET
Yes you can get a hotspot stick (usb) that plugs into your laptop. essentially it uses cell phone towers so as long as you have cell service you're good to go. most cellphone providers carry them - https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Products/Huawei-E8372-Turbo-Stick?INT=MOB_mobdevpg_BTN_poplink_Mass_051016_mb_details - but there's a small catch you have to pay a small monthly fee (like a cell phone)

or like Harley mentioned, you can always use your phone as a hotspot (uses your phones data as a wifi for your laptop)

Old RhynoS

Super Heavyweight
You can also use your phone as the modem. Last time I did it that way it was pricey but it was 15-20 years ago now.

TRTDiesel

Super Heavyweight
I’d just use the phone as a hot spot but yeah they still make usb radio’s that connect to cellular and the security is fine.

Rucker

Super Heavyweight
Get a decent data plan on your phone and hot spot. While you can get "internet USB sticks" (which are basically newer air cards), if you really don't want to hot spot many newer laptops now have a SIM slot, you can just jam in a SIM with a data plan.

I used to have a SIM in my iPad that I used in my laptop occasionally, but in the end I decided to simplify my cell phone bill and now when I need connectivity on those devices I just hotspot with my phone.

I mean, we're talking about a laptop, it has wifi right? Gone should be the days of having to physically WIRE your phone to your laptop to get internet.....