What's new

It Takes a Village to Raise a Champion

• Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
-- I remember back in the day preparing for a show was a solo endeavor. It was a steep learning curve of not only dialing in your own training and nutrition but also posing, tanning, music, attire, and transportation logistics. It was a heck of a lot of planning and preparation!

Skip ahead to nowadays and I think the process has improved dramatically. Take for instance my good buddy. He's a young 47 years old and recently competed in Master's Physique this past weekend in Vancouver in the '2018 Leigh Brandt Muscle Classic'. Not only did he win 1st Place amongst 6 competitors, but also placed a respectable 5th place in the Open amongst 13 champions! Not bad for nearly 50 years old. But what did it take to get there? Good question. Let's take a look.

This was my friends very first competition. He was nervous and unsure like any of us would be. It's an intimidating thing stepping on a strange stage under bright lights and being fully exposed in your skivvies to a packed auditorium. A good many of you reading this can probably relate. But the good news is this is now 2018 and the process in getting to that scary and intimidating stage is a great deal less arduous than it was, say, 20 years ago. Like I mentioned it was typically a solo affair and you sank or swam based solely on your own. Today however, there is tremendous resources available to those that want to compete but might be too afraid or nervous to actually take the bull by the horns.

All it takes is to let your intentions to compete to be known and if your plea falls on receptive ears you can possibly be off to the races. My friend for example made it clear he wished to compete just once before he gets too old or otherwise unable to compete. He made this known to a friend of mine that owns a supplement shop. From there I learned of it and slowly but surely everything started coming together. In the end he had enlisted a small reservist army of advisors to make his journey remarkable. Someone guided him on nutrition. Someone guided him on AAS. Someone guided him on training and diet. And lastly someone guided him on posing. In other words, a great deal of people were there too ease the burden and give clear and precise guidance. That's not to say he wasn't responsible for anything. Quite the opposite. He was responsible for everything but was willing to spread the duties around and be willing to accept the guidance offered. In the end HE gets full credit for the win, but a few others are damn proud of the result.

So where des a nearly 50-something physique competitor go from here? Well suffice to say he's stoked and now has a competition right here in Victoria B.C. coming up in 3 short weeks. Some small tweaks will be made and the team will be there to cheer him on for another possible win. It truly does take a village to raise a champion . . . or at least provide an upper edge.

Pre-tan

Pre-stage

Stage

1st Place

The reward

I did my first show in victoria actually, mostly by myself but chev, mrs.chev and a few of their friends were in the audience to cheer me on

My own brother decided he'd rather watch the comox air show that weekend hahaha :p

66Chevy

Super Moderator
I did my first show in victoria actually, mostly by myself but chev, mrs.chev and a few of their friends were in the audience to cheer me on
I didn't realize that was your first show...probably because you didn't look like it was your first show and you came in out of nowhere and won the Heavies. ;) I remember that being a fun weekend.

I may end up like Dr.J's buddy...maybe try one a competition somewhere between 45-50 just to say I did a show and cross it off the list win, lose, or draw.

Pickle

Super Heavyweight
He looked fantastic. Getting that first one under the belt is the hardest part. Best of luck to him in a few weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
your buddy looked good....and judging by the poster we may have the same trainer. ;)
-- You won't go wrong with LG. She knows what it takes.

p.s. Just to clarify in case anyone is wondering. That is NOT me in the pictures. It's a friend whom owns Universal Supplements here in Victoria and made the trip with JP to Vancouver to cheer him on.