What's new

Journey to my first show

Thread starter #1
I know a couple, or maybe one, member(s) said you'd follow along if I decided to do a log/journal for my contest prep. Well, let's do it! :)
I absolutely will want and need any feedback, constructive or ego-strocking. Tips on posing will be greatly appreciated, as well.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to get a coach for my contest prep or not, but after thinking about it, I went and hired Ken 'Skip' Hill. Main reason I hired someone was that this is my first show, I have never done a peak week etc., and the show will be in November. I do not want to be stressing over too many things about my prep especially with my studies going on at the same time.

After talking with Skip about me doing a log, he said that I can only vaguely share my diet. Training, I'm doing myself so I can answer/give anything about training.
Every Sunday is one week closer to the show, this week I am 18 weeks out.

If there is anything you guys want included in this log that you think I could miss, please, tell me and I'll gladly include them (provided that I'm allowed to do so).

Awesome, keep us updated and sub'd. Just one advise, if you trust ur coach, follow and trust his coaching to a T cuz everyone will give you their own opinions on what works for them.

Thread starter #3
Big quads...shave those bears!
I think most members here will benefit from as much diet info as u can give seeing as it'll be 80% of what gets u peeled. Maybe don't include numbers but share as much of what and how much your eating as u see fit. I'd like to know his cardio take as well. Gluck, I'm subscribed

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
I see good muscle. Let's see how much you can keep. Go ahead and shave down and start getting a tan on. Actually, once you see your snow white self shaved, you won't need any encouragement to get a tan, lol. It's pretty scary. Speaking from hairy experience, here.

Thread starter #7
LOL mnb! Yeah, I guess I should shave from here on out hahaha... I hope I won't lose much muscle, at all. I'll just try to keep on either beating the log book or getting the same weights weekly. Nevertheless, I have full trust in Skip, even if I do not use some of his methods on my own clients. :)

Since I can't go in the specifics of the diet, I went and got what I found was really useful and it actually sums up how skip works. Not 100%, but the interview gives really good info. Here it is:

Ken "Skip" Hill.... Skiploading, contest prep, picking his brain, the works - IntenseMuscle.com

Also, Skip has a DVD which is free on youtube. Type 'Longevity Skip Hill' and you'll probably get it. It covers pretty much everything in general, especially the seminars in the DVD.

For cardio, Skip has also given out free info on how he uses it as a tool for prep. Try Googling 'Skip cardio cycling' and check out the musclemag link.

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
Shaving and tanning early is more important than you might think. Hairy and pale will prohibit you from seeing detail as it comes in. It could cause you to want to tweak your diet when unnecessary, or the other way around. It also renders your posing practice less effective. If you wait til 2 weeks out to shave and tan, you will look so much different that you will have to adjust all your poses. Tanning in the sun and tanning bed, especially the sun, tightens the skin a bit for a better finished look. You can spot a ghost that slapped on a bunch of tanning product at the last minute a mile away. Not something you need to even be thinking about during the last week. I'm already dark brown 2 weeks out. Just let me slap on a few coats of pro tan and I'm gtg.

Thread starter #9
Awesome tip mnb! Thanks a lot, you're right about the pose tweaks and everything else too. Now I have too many good reasons to shave, and no good reasons not too! :)

lionsfan

Registered
Btw I know luck has nothing to do with it. So that made no sense. You are looking good and I am sure your hard work and dedication will pay off at your first show :)

Thread starter #14
Btw I know luck has nothing to do with it. So that made no sense. You are looking good and I am sure your hard work and dedication will pay off at your first show :)
Hahah lionsfan! Thanks bro

And thank you to MCS and you too, Zuespas! :)

I'll be giving my weekly weights on Sundays, with a couple of workouts per week and how I'm feeling. How many pro/carb meals, pro/fat meals, and of course, Refeed descriptions :)

incredhulk

Registered
best of luck to you bro. i have always been looking forward to when you compete

Skip is a great guy. Glad u went with him.

Thread starter #16
Thanks incred! :)
I did 'interview' a couple of coaches before choosing Skip. One thing I loved was that he was happy to respond to any questions, and the information provided in his answers proved that he had thoroughly read through my email. This was not the case with other coaches, lol... Also, Skip works with macros, not meal plans. I feel that when you are disciplined and know which foods you function better on, macros are the way to go.

So weight of today, 17 weeks out: 226.4lbs.

Skip gave me the biggest time frame to load yet; 8 hours. Damn I feel full, lol. Sundays are my only completely off days. Off from work also on Sundays, so the refeed timing is great. :)
I'll report if any changes will be made for this week, only change yet was the increased time frame to refeed. I wonder what my weight will be tomorrow, since I usually gain 6-8lbs with a 3-6h load.

Last edited:
Thread starter #17
Weight this morning: 236.2lbs. 9.8lbs gained from the refeed, lol! I'm still trying to get used to these crazy ups and downs, and trying to figure out how the hell Skip can predict how many lbs I'll drop below baseline for next refeed day...

Did a cardio session today and hit chest and biceps later. The workouts give insane pumps post refeed. Full of energy, but I definitely feel heavier earlier in the week lol.

**Ish means I can't remember exactly, so give or take a few reps.

Chest: •Inclined barbell press-- 135lbsx20ish; 225x12ish; 275lbsx8; 316lbsx5
•Inclined dumbbell flyes-- 45x20ish; 55x15; 80x8ish; 100x5ish
•Hammer strength press-- 1 platex20ish; 2platesx15ish; 3 platesx8ish

Biceps:
•5 sets of easy bar curls, 65lbsx15-25 for all sets
•4 sets of superset hammer curls alternated with hammer curls in front of body--45lbsxmax and 55lbsxmax

Best of luck buds, I am sure you are going to do great.

Nice wheels, now just dial them in, and SHAVE.

Remember you are ready when ur ass is cross striated...

Cheers, -PacMAn