What's new

Knee issues

Thread starter #1
I have had knee issues for years now,right knee has no meniscuses anymore and ACL and LCL are f***** but today I woke up and could barely put any weight on the left knee. Not sure what happened during the night but it sucks since I need my daily dose of cardio .....
A nice guy at another board recommended Tommie Copper knee sleeves and I ordered a couple. I also have two physio appointments this week (tomorrow and Thursday).

NG_F

Registered
MG...You need all the cushioning you can get. If you have a few bucks OR if you have an insurance plan created by God, get yourself some Durolane , Synvisc or Neovisc. These all are Hyaluronic acid injections with Durolane only needing one injection-one visit to the administering physician. It could work in up to 50% of sufferers. It works very well for me but I'm in a different situation. I have Chondromalaecia Patella; Osteo Arthritis behind both knee caps from years of wear and tear from Heavy Squats. Being stupid and not incorporating any lighter weight/High volume sessions.
Here is a great list of options for what you're facing. https://activeimplants.com/blog/5-meniscus-tear-treatments-consider-total-knee-replacement/

I also suggest consistent and High dose of Glucosamine sulphate @ 2-5 gms 3 times /day. Tumeric and Fish oil for inflamation. Vitamin C for collagen production.

Sleeves, Physio , and strengthening the leg muscle ( as Much as you can ) will greatly help.

A No Bullshit effective modality indicated for you is PRPPT ( Platelet Rich Plasma Prolotherapy) http://www.prolotherapy.com/Platele...st Line Treatment for Meniscal Pathology3.pdf

Keep us posted with your progress and Good Luck and Godspeed ! :cool:

rated_rko

Registered
I take omega 3s and glucosamine with msm for joints. Best aas I used before for joint issues was deca but I'm not using it at this time. But worked wonders even at 75mg a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbd

Registered
This might seem lame but it may be time to retire your shoes. Footwear only provides adequate support for 300 to 500 miles. I am a mailman and I walk about 140 KM a week. So a pair of shoes might last a couple of months and when I start to get pain in my left knee it is time to change.

boswellia extract is amazing for your type of pain.

Please look into it, can't hurt.:)

Thread starter #8
MG...You need all the cushioning you can get. If you have a few bucks OR if you have an insurance plan created by God, get yourself some Durolane , Synvisc or Neovisc. These all are Hyaluronic acid injections with Durolane only needing one injection-one visit to the administering physician. It could work in up to 50% of sufferers. It works very well for me but I'm in a different situation. I have Chondromalaecia Patella; Osteo Arthritis behind both knee caps from years of wear and tear from Heavy Squats. Being stupid and not incorporating any lighter weight/High volume sessions.
Here is a great list of options for what you're facing. 5 Meniscus Tear Treatments to Consider Before Total Knee Replacement

I also suggest consistent and High dose of Glucosamine sulphate @ 2-5 gms 3 times /day. Tumeric and Fish oil for inflamation. Vitamin C for collagen production.

Sleeves, Physio , and strengthening the leg muscle ( as Much as you can ) will greatly help.

A No Bullshit effective modality indicated for you is PRPPT ( Platelet Rich Plasma Prolotherapy) http://www.prolotherapy.com/Platele...st Line Treatment for Meniscal Pathology3.pdf

Keep us posted with your progress and Good Luck and Godspeed ! :cool:
I had injects of hyaluronic acid before (one a week for 3 weeks) but the positive effect didn't last ....

I don't really want knee replacement because my physiotherapist says that most of his patients needed a long and painful recovery and that some can't even run because their knee is too stiff.

Mnemonic

Registered
I am so far off knowledge on this subject and what you've tried, but have you tried cardio that is less impactful on your body?
Something like swimming would take a lot of strain off your joints and you can certainly get your heartrate up and sweat.

I had injects of hyaluronic acid before (one a week for 3 weeks) but the positive effect didn't last ....

I don't really want knee replacement because my physiotherapist says that most of his patients needed a long and painful recovery and that some can't even run because their knee is too stiff.
Gf works in physio at the hospital, and the majority of her outpatients are knee replacements... The recovery isn't that long for people that are compliant with their rehab plan, provided they don't have it done by a shitty surgeon.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

biguglynewf

Super Moderator
Ask bagua vinny.... he’s had both done.

best thing he ever did. But the first few days are pretty awful pain wise.

Im destined for them too. But I’ll doubt they will do them here until I’m much older. My last surgery was ok but not great.

Thread starter #13
Ask bagua vinny.... he’s had both done.

best thing he ever did. But the first few days are pretty awful pain wise.

Im destined for them too. But I’ll doubt they will do them here until I’m much older. My last surgery was ok but not great.
You're too young for a knee replacement. What surgery did you have?

Surgeon told me not to wait too long because if I do I might have other health issues and not enjoy the knee replacement long enough :(

Thread starter #14
The 3rd of July is surgery date.

I'm stressed out because I don't know how long I will have to stay at the hospital. Doc wants me to stay 2 weeks for rehab but I lied and said that a friend would come and live with me. A colleague who lives a block away from me will stop by every day and the physio will come too.

I'm stressed out because I don't know how long I will have to stay at the hospital. Doc wants me to stay 2 weeks for rehab but I lied and said that a friend would come and live with me. A colleague who lives a block away from me will stop by every day and the physio will come too.
I realize this is likely much later than it was needed, however have you ever considered sidered stem cell injections?

Also, you may be aware, but after that surgery you'll want to POUND the calories, will dramatically increase healing rate. Biggest downfall after surgeries for most because the opiates kill the ability to pound food. I did a lot of research and a healthy body has a gigantic caloric need to heal.bones optimimally. The studies showed that a broken femor in healed optimally with a balanced nutritious diet....then adding easiky digested calories. For a 200lb man healing was optimal at 6kcal a day..a car cry from what they give you at the hospital. Best of luck! My dad had.both k res and hips done and he still does construction and is in much better condition now.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

MG you are going to be worried about the surgery right up to the day of the procedure. It's in your nature.
The reason the doc wants you to hang around is to make sure you will be OK when you get home and will be able to function in the necessities of life. Stairs will be a problem at first and getting used to them takes a lot of time. Head into a rehab store and rent some of the more mundane things like a raised toilet seat to help in that department. Take a look around and see if there is anything else you might need to make life easier. I had a huge travel cup for my coffee because It will take about a week before you are comfortable with a normal one. Prep a weeks worth of food to keep in your freezer and fridge because the first week you won't feel like doing much meal prep. Be careful of Pooh's toys and make sure you don't stroll over them with your walker. That wouldn't be fun.

You don't eat much, therefore I wouldn't worry about your diet too much for the first couple of days, due to the fair amount of pain even with the meds. It really is painful. The first week is the worst for the pain so don't scrimp on your meds and use them as directed and you should have enough to take an additional dose prior to physio, which will be important because physio is a rather painful experience.
Don't be afraid to ask for help from your friend because we all need a helping hand once in a while. Just remember the doc has sawed and screwed through your bones and it will take a while. The first three weeks are brutal. After that you notice a big improvement.
You know how to reach me if need be and feel free to do so.

Thread starter #18
Thank you all for your replies.

Mooooobaby, I never thought stem cells injects would work for me. But at my age and after having abused my poor knee since the 80's it is a bit too late for a conservative treatment I think.

Bagua, could you give me an exhaustive list of the things you bought before surgery? Time to do some shopping I guess (starting with a recumbent bike like I said on Facebook).

Thank you all for your replies.

Mooooobaby, I never thought stem cells injects would work for me. But at my age and after having abused my poor knee since the 80's it is a bit too late for a conservative treatment I think.

Bagua, could you give me an exhaustive list of the things you bought before surgery? Time to do some shopping I guess (starting with a recumbent bike like I said on Facebook).
Done. Check your Facebook.

Thread starter #20
Gf works in physio at the hospital, and the majority of her outpatients are knee replacements... The recovery isn't that long for people that are compliant with their rehab plan, provided they don't have it done by a shitty surgeon.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
He is a good surgeon (he operated on my neighbor who is 79 and she was walking again in no time). I'm still scared though because two of my colleagues had a bad infection following surgery ....

Thanks Bags. You provided me very helpful information as usual.