What's new

Knee Pain

Thread starter #1

AnimalPak

Registered
So inevitably I knew this day would eventually happen but I never thought it would be this bad.

So for probably the past 2.5 months, I've been having some serious sharp pains in (what seems to be) the top part of my knee. The issue is not the patella tendon. I've tried taking time off from squats/heavy quad training because of it, but the pain is still there. Tried going a bit "heavier" on squats yesterday (365x12 ATG) and woke up this morning and the pain has been quite intense, I've always been wearing my SBD knee sleeves when training legs but I'm just looking for some suggestions as to how I could possibly fix this issue. Thanks

Ps Going to the Doctor is my last option haha

As you know I have my share of knee issues. You mention the top part of your knee but where exactly? Are you sure it is not tendon pain? You are too young to have osteoarthritis .... Not trying to be a dick but you kept on working out while you were already in pain which probably made things worse (been there done that, you know ....).
What have you done so far? Did you ice your knee regularly? I would stop squatting until you have seen a doc ....

Thread starter #3

AnimalPak

Registered
As you know I have my share of knee issues. You mention the top part of your knee but where exactly? Are you sure it is not tendon pain? You are too young to have osteoarthritis .... Not trying to be a dick but you kept on working out while you were already in pain which probably made things worse (been there done that, you know ....).
What have you done so far? Did you ice your knee regularly? I would stop squatting until you have seen a doc ....

Well I took about a month off from training quads in general (Still maintained a stretching routine though). Yes I've tried ice, I've tried heat, every pain ointment under the sun. Still no difference.

Once I noticed my legs getting smaller I felt I had to squat even though the pain was still there. I know it was probably not the best thing to do, but drastic situations call for drastic measures.

66Chevy

Super Moderator
I'd be going in to see a sports physiotherapist...by all means get an opinion from your doc, but as far as the most up to date treatments and movements for carrying on training legs without pain then they will be your best bet imo.

A lot of ankle, knee and even all the way up to lumbar problems start from foot posture. Maybe you've been putting weight in the arch of your feet for years and this is your body's way of redistributing the load--by putting more on your knees. I swear this is such a huge problem with so many people I've worked with, and myself included. Rolling a lacross ball on it for example along with using a wood or metal long spoon starting from the heel and kind of zig zagging up definitely helps the arch. I've been doing arch work (lol) for 8 years consistently and I could have never gone as heavy as I did with deads and squats with no belt/straps/gear if it would have not been for this. I'd have flat feet too, as does all my family.

Another thing I'll do (trolls welcomed) is while showering I stand on one foot and focus my weight on heel, outer edge and palm of foot. If you've never done this it will really hurt and stretch, maybe all the way up to your tebialis anterior.

To this day if I don't do it for as little as 3ish days it'll be uncomfortable a bit when I do.

I have a foot posture problem and have orthopedic insoles in all my shoes. It caused some imbalance which in turn caused the ITBS I have been dealing with for years -- and probably also my knee and back issues.

Thread starter #8

AnimalPak

Registered
I'd be going in to see a sports physiotherapist...by all means get an opinion from your doc, but as far as the most up to date treatments and movements for carrying on training legs without pain then they will be your best bet imo.
I'll certainly look into that, thanks for the suggestion Chev!

Thread starter #9

AnimalPak

Registered
A lot of ankle, knee and even all the way up to lumbar problems start from foot posture. Maybe you've been putting weight in the arch of your feet for years and this is your body's way of redistributing the load--by putting more on your knees. I swear this is such a huge problem with so many people I've worked with, and myself included. Rolling a lacross ball on it for example along with using a wood or metal long spoon starting from the heel and kind of zig zagging up definitely helps the arch. I've been doing arch work (lol) for 8 years consistently and I could have never gone as heavy as I did with deads and squats with no belt/straps/gear if it would have not been for this. I'd have flat feet too, as does all my family.

Another thing I'll do (trolls welcomed) is while showering I stand on one foot and focus my weight on heel, outer edge and palm of foot. If you've never done this it will really hurt and stretch, maybe all the way up to your tebialis anterior.

To this day if I don't do it for as little as 3ish days it'll be uncomfortable a bit when I do.
I'm gonna give those a try tonight, I really appreciate the advice. Thanks

Cardio practices fortify the muscles that help your knee and increment adaptability, Weight preparing and extending do, as well, for cardio, some great decisions incorporate strolling, swimming, water heart stimulating exercise, stationary cycling, and circular machines...