What's new

Lab mistake or something else

bastardknight

Rookie
Recently increased my dose from 50mg to 75mg twice a week twice a week. No AI.

Numbers went from 16.8 nmol/l (484 ng/dl) to 44.4 (1280 ng/dl). I always get blood drawn right before an injection. I know the Dr is going to have me lower the dose, but this is where I feel the best and have the least sides. Anyone have a similar experience? I'm shocked to see my trough numbers almost triple with a 50% increase becasue previous changes had little effect on my bloodwork.

DutchCanadian

Super Heavyweight
Recently increased my dose from 50mg to 75mg twice a week twice a week. No AI.

Numbers went from 16.8 nmol/l (484 ng/dl) to 44.4 (1280 ng/dl). I always get blood drawn right before an injection. I know the Dr is going to have me lower the dose, but this is where I feel the best and have the least sides. Anyone have a similar experience? I'm shocked to see my trough numbers almost triple with a 50% increase becasue previous changes had little effect on my bloodwork.
Our top number is very similar however I am on 100 mg a week

Harley00

The Rebel
Well ur talkin 100mg a week vs 150mg a week.

Ur right arounf accurate maybe 150ng/dl over , u just react good to test.

Whats your free test, thats the number makin u feel good

bastardknight

Rookie
Well ur talkin 100mg a week vs 150mg a week.

Ur right arounf accurate maybe 150ng/dl over , u just react good to test.

Whats your free test, thats the number makin u feel good

Bloods were run by my GP so only total T. I forgot to mention reference range is 8.4-28.8

The reason we increased the dose is that a month ago when I got bloods my total T was lower then before I started TRT . The only change was starting dedicated thyroid 3 months ago. If the Dr lowers my dose to get me back in range I'll have to switch to UGL which I'd like to avoid if I can.

Harley00

The Rebel
Bloods were run by my GP so only total T. I forgot to mention reference range is 8.4-28.8

The reason we increased the dose is that a month ago when I got bloods my total T was lower then before I started TRT . The only change was starting dedicated thyroid 3 months ago. If the Dr lowers my dose to get me back in range I'll have to switch to UGL which I'd like to avoid if I can.

Do you have labs you mind showing full labs.

Just tell your doctor you pinned the afternoon before blood work , say you forgot. Then did it the afternoon before . Which can get you outa that mess.

Id like to see all your labs, lots of guys think they need to be at a number but its about the rest of your blood work not the test number. Everything has to be in sync, fill us in.

Edit, you meant to say you started natural desiccated thyroid ?
Fil me in on this please , amd dosage wise

bastardknight

Rookie
Just tell your doctor you pinned the afternoon before blood work , say you forgot. Then did it the afternoon before . Which can get you outa that mess.

That's a perfect answer, thank you. I don't have complete labs because the Dr that does my testosterone is different then my GP and I'm in BC which makes it all a clusterfuck. My GP ordered these labs because a thyroid ultrasound showed inflamation and nodules. Shes referring me to a endocrinologist. I also suspect she's wondering why I'm on trt and doing a bit of poking since there wasn't a reason for her to run my testosterone numbers. Not sure where you are, but in BC when a GP orders bloodwork, the lab does the bare minimum needed in an effort to save money since it's being covered by MSP. For example it literally says on my recent bloods "Bioavailable Testosterone was cancelled because MSP criteria for SHBG testing were not met." .... even though I'm 50% over the reference range.

I'm on 30mg desiccated thyroid. I went to a naturalpath that was able to order tests for tsh, t3, t4 and antibodies.....from the same damn lab I always go to :) ... becasue it's a private client they run them. TSH was fine, T3 upper range and t4 lower range. I took those results to my TRT Dr we started the desiccated thyroid. to try and bring the T4 up. After the first two months I noticed a huge shift in how I felt, much bigger then the testosterone made. I felt much better and my thyroid hurt less. I went from what I thought were high E symptoms to low without a change in dosage. You can see it in the graph. The first dot was when I mentioned to my GP that something wasn't right and I though it was hormonal. The second was taken before I started TRT. Third was after starting at 75mg once per week. The forth was at 50mg twice a week. The fifth was at 50mg twice per week after starting the thyroid meds. and the last is from today and 4 weeks into 75mg twice a week. I'm consistent with my dosing schedule and with my blood work. I even dropped the dose last Sunday to 65mg just to try and be sure the numbers stayed in range.

I don't have estrogen numbers for this round of bloods becasue they weren't ordered there was also a pretty decent drop in my estrogen levels after starting the thyroid meds. My TSH was slowly climbing and the meds have brought it back down which leads me to a theory.

I know a few people in the medical community and they've been talking about long term covid effects and how men are effected more. There is a type of hypothyroidism caused by a viral infection and one of the defining characteristics can be pain in the thyroid. I suspect the long term Covid effects are actually thyroid related and that if you get Covid with a weak thyroid, you're more likely to have the long term effects. I found this study recently that adds some validity to the theory, warning it's a long read. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7688298/

I'm not aiming for a number. I don't personally care what the numbers are and think it's something about the t/e ratio in my case. I care about feeling like myself. I've always been an aggressive, sex motivated, competitive person. I like lifting, I like hard work and I want to get shit done. Before I started trt I reached a point where as my wife put it "You were a whiny little bitch." and she's not wrong. I've just started to feel like me again. Not great, not 22 and honestly a little better then I probably should for how I've been eating. I'm happy to take half the dose as long as I still feel like me. I'm not really getting the attention to detail that I want from my TRT Dr so I'm doing what I can to figure it out with help from others that are having a similar experience.

Attachments

• Testosterone_Graph.jpg
    Testosterone_Graph.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 4
  • E_Graph.jpg
    E_Graph.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 4
  • TSH_Graph.jpg
    TSH_Graph.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3

Harley00

The Rebel
That's a perfect answer, thank you. I don't have complete labs because the Dr that does my testosterone is different then my GP and I'm in BC which makes it all a clusterfuck. My GP ordered these labs because a thyroid ultrasound showed inflamation and nodules. Shes referring me to a endocrinologist. I also suspect she's wondering why I'm on trt and doing a bit of poking since there wasn't a reason for her to run my testosterone numbers. Not sure where you are, but in BC when a GP orders bloodwork, the lab does the bare minimum needed in an effort to save money since it's being covered by MSP. For example it literally says on my recent bloods "Bioavailable Testosterone was cancelled because MSP criteria for SHBG testing were not met." .... even though I'm 50% over the reference range.

I'm on 30mg desiccated thyroid. I went to a naturalpath that was able to order tests for tsh, t3, t4 and antibodies.....from the same damn lab I always go to :) ... becasue it's a private client they run them. TSH was fine, T3 upper range and t4 lower range. I took those results to my TRT Dr we started the desiccated thyroid. to try and bring the T4 up. After the first two months I noticed a huge shift in how I felt, much bigger then the testosterone made. I felt much better and my thyroid hurt less. I went from what I thought were high E symptoms to low without a change in dosage. You can see it in the graph. The first dot was when I mentioned to my GP that something wasn't right and I though it was hormonal. The second was taken before I started TRT. Third was after starting at 75mg once per week. The forth was at 50mg twice a week. The fifth was at 50mg twice per week after starting the thyroid meds. and the last is from today and 4 weeks into 75mg twice a week. I'm consistent with my dosing schedule and with my blood work. I even dropped the dose last Sunday to 65mg just to try and be sure the numbers stayed in range.

I don't have estrogen numbers for this round of bloods becasue they weren't ordered there was also a pretty decent drop in my estrogen levels after starting the thyroid meds. My TSH was slowly climbing and the meds have brought it back down which leads me to a theory.

I know a few people in the medical community and they've been talking about long term covid effects and how men are effected more. There is a type of hypothyroidism caused by a viral infection and one of the defining characteristics can be pain in the thyroid. I suspect the long term Covid effects are actually thyroid related and that if you get Covid with a weak thyroid, you're more likely to have the long term effects. I found this study recently that adds some validity to the theory, warning it's a long read. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7688298/

I'm not aiming for a number. I don't personally care what the numbers are and think it's something about the t/e ratio in my case. I care about feeling like myself. I've always been an aggressive, sex motivated, competitive person. I like lifting, I like hard work and I want to get shit done. Before I started trt I reached a point where as my wife put it "You were a whiny little bitch." and she's not wrong. I've just started to feel like me again. Not great, not 22 and honestly a little better then I probably should for how I've been eating. I'm happy to take half the dose as long as I still feel like me. I'm not really getting the attention to detail that I want from my TRT Dr so I'm doing what I can to figure it out with help from others that are having a similar experience.
If in anyway you can get copys of your labs from now on that be great, they cant deny you that , yes i understand, that its hard to get blood work through your doctor, they wont test anything, finding a private doctor would help, you can also go through Babylon, its a app for bc and you will be able to order your own lab req then just go to a walk in and get your labs.

Im concered on you only being on 30mg, thats only 19mcg t4 and 4mcg t3. Not even quarter of replacement, u may feel good now but that could dip down.

Ither way id like to look at any blood work you get in the furture, amd especially your ft3 ft4 and rt3.

I noticed you said, u had low t4, and normal t3, thats a sign of pooling, basically cortisol issues, again im blind hear woth no blood work, and like you said you had noodles and inflammation, which could also be hashis etc etc.

As far as estrogen clearing, that is because being hypo wont allow estrogen to clear as fast as it should so by correcting your thyroid, you may ve abke to increase the test dosage to get more optimal, again this depends on other things as well .

Rubicon500

Super Heavyweight
If your in BC why aren’t you using MyEhealth ?? They recently changed the name to my Care Compass but it’s the same thing all your bloodwork is online for you to look at. If your GP doesn’t give you all the blood work you want cause the MSP thing just ask for a second lab req and pay out of pocket , it’s fairly cheap and EHB will cover 80% for most people’s plans.

BC has had this service for close to 5 years now , the blood lab will give you a access code and you simply sign up. Everytime I go for blood work one of the techs will ask if I have a MyEhealth account set up.

Top Bottom