What's new

Maple leafs

nm85

Lightweight
Any fellow CJM leafs fans who will be at the Stanley Cup parade this year?[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hellhammer

Rookie
Any fellow CJM leafs fans who will be at the Stanley Cup parade this year?[emoji3]

Maybe this will be the year nm 85. Free agent signing of J T out of Long Island was a great start for this upcoming season.
Yes critics still think we need Defence.... I tend to agree somewhat . But at the same time look to the current D core to train hard in the off season and Prove they can get the job done.

BC

Administrator
Tavares is grossly overrated and won't be the shining light everyone expects him to be. His contract is going to cause a complete mess when it's time to sign Marner, Mathews and Nylander, and TO better tread lightly with who the give the captaincy to whether this year or next. Mark my words, if Austin doesn't get the badge alongside at least $11m AAV he'll be shopping elsewhere. And if Tavares is truly focused on the growth of this team and their long term plan, he should be the one advocating for Austin to be captain as well.

JameoN

Super Heavyweight

If you mean the parade in Ottawa, then yes I’ll see you there xo

AnimalPak

Super Heavyweight
I can't wait to watch the Bruins stomp the leafs out in the playoffs again (thats if the leafs can even make it). Even with all of the refs calls going their way they still blew it

Oldguyjiujitsu

Super Heavyweight
Oilers and Jets fans out here on the prairies....both should have good years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC

Administrator

The boys in Edmonton still have no defense and despite the amount of fire power between Connor and Leon, I still think they'll be a fringe team this year fighting for a wild card spot at the high end. If there's one thing the NHL continues to prove time and time again, it's that you need a strong D-core to make a legitimate run for the Cup. I'm not sure if McLellan is the answer, either.

biguglynewf

Super Moderator
Tavares is grossly overrated and won't be the shining light everyone expects him to be. His contract is going to cause a complete mess when it's time to sign Marner, Mathews and Nylander, and TO better tread lightly with who the give the captaincy to whether this year or next. Mark my words, if Austin doesn't get the badge alongside at least $11m AAV he'll be shopping elsewhere. And if Tavares is truly focused on the growth of this team and their long term plan, he should be the one advocating for Austin to be captain as well.
JT is a really really good player. Like magic good as are a very short list of NHLers. Not in his fan club or anything but he is definitely top tier.

completely agree it could and probably will become a complete shitshow knowing the leafs. These kids are all going to have to pull a Chicago or Pittsburgh and play underpaid at the thought of creating a dynasty. No way they could keep them if they all want to get paid. But that would still happen pre JT anyway. Matthews will have to consider where the marketing money will best suit him.....I think that may make the difference. But who knows....sometimes the yanks just want to be home. It takes strong personalities to survive in places like Toronto and Montreal etc. Maybe Matthews doesn’t even want the C. I think they’d be best to not even name one....I mean how long did Toronto go without a captain? Completely agree though on that JT is probably not Toronto captain material. Knowing his character I don’t think he’s coveting the C or even thinking about it. It won’t matter. Shanny and babs will do what they want.

ottawa is the most dysfunctional team in the league right now. Their management is a complete disaster. Hopefully they addressed all the lockeroom problems but I fear not.

Not a fan, but it would be nice to see them right the ship. The fans deserve it and it’s great to see strong teams close together for the rivalry. Hopefully they can finally do some right by karlsson....he deserves it. Trade rumours still mounting. They should let him go.

Hellhammer

Rookie

They needed a buffer to insulate the young kids a little. In comes Johnny T who wanted to be in Toronto. Rumours he took less to come home wich he will make up for in endorsements.
Some say his skating isn’t world class, But I think his hockey IQ is. If Willy Ny has to be moved so be it.
Auston disappeared against the big bad Bruins and quite frankly the team got mugged by the Bs last year. It was tough to watch.
I would give JT the “C” and let him handle the media etc... from what I can tell J T doesn’t seem to have any off ice issues, and just loves the game. Kinda like a Sid the kid. Just a hockey nerd.

Hellhammer

Rookie
The boys in Edmonton still have no defense and despite the amount of fire power between Connor and Leon, I still think they'll be a fringe team this year fighting for a wild card spot at the high end. If there's one thing the NHL continues to prove time and time again, it's that you need a strong D-core to make a legitimate run for the Cup. I'm not sure if McLellan is the answer, either.
I have a soft spot for the Oil. But Chia has made some critical mistakes in his time there. Starting with the Hall trade.

Hellhammer

Rookie
I can't wait to watch the Bruins stomp the leafs out in the playoffs again (thats if the leafs can even make it). Even with all of the refs calls going their way they still blew it
Leafs got manhandled last year, it was hard to watch. I hope for a rematch this year A P. Just to cast out the demons from playoffs past.

Hellhammer

Rookie
the Sens are a dumpster fire at this stage of the game. I have some friends who actually denounced the Leafs and jumped on the Sens train back in the day. They may as well grab a Vegas jersey now.

Hellhammer

Rookie

Had hopes for the Peg last year in the playoffs. Big team. Had all the tools it seems. The wheels just fell off against Vegas. They will be back this year. Gotta lose to win it seems. As for the Oil..... dumpster fire

Oldguyjiujitsu

Super Heavyweight
Hard to disagree with your comments on defence. Oilers are good because of the speed and offence but I cannot understand why they have not gotten a solid Vet on D to mentor the solid young crop. Nurse, Bear, Benning have potential to be good D.

The Jets on the other had are both offence and defence beast...by far my fav team to watch last season.

BC

Administrator
Hard to disagree with your comments on defence. Oilers are good because of the speed and offence but I cannot understand why they have not gotten a solid Vet on D to mentor the solid young crop. Nurse, Bear, Benning have potential to be good D.

The Jets on the other had are both offence and defence beast...by far my fav team to watch last season.
The issue with those three is that even if they do develop to the best of their abilities, none of them are going to be a top pairing. They'll be second pairing (at best) which is still a positive, but no one there is ever going to turn into a Ryan Ellis, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, etc. I watched Ethan play a lot of junior hockey over the past few years and even under a loaded Seattle club with Matty Barzal at the helm Ethan was never much of a standout. He was solid and he was consistent, but he lacked the ability to control the tempo of the game even at that level.

For the time being, I'll toss my hat in the ring for the Jets. I'd love to see Wheeler, Scheifele, Trouba, Morrisey, Byf and Laine pull the Cup back to the homeland.

JameoN

Super Heavyweight
ottawa is the most dysfunctional team in the league right now. Their management is a complete disaster. Hopefully they addressed all the lockeroom problems but I fear not.

Not a fan, but it would be nice to see them right the ship. The fans deserve it and it’s great to see strong teams close together for the rivalry. Hopefully they can finally do some right by karlsson....he deserves it. Trade rumours still mounting. They should let him go.
Agreed with everything here. Even though im a huge fan and it would be devastating to lose king Karl, I personally think he needs to move on. It’s what’s best for him.

Fullblown

Middleweight
They needed a buffer to insulate the young kids a little. In comes Johnny T who wanted to be in Toronto. Rumours he took less to come home wich he will make up for in endorsements.
Some say his skating isn’t world class, But I think his hockey IQ is. If Willy Ny has to be moved so be it.
Auston disappeared against the big bad Bruins and quite frankly the team got mugged by the Bs last year. It was tough to watch.
I would give JT the “C” and let him handle the media etc... from what I can tell J T doesn’t seem to have any off ice issues, and just loves the game. Kinda like a Sid the kid. Just a hockey nerd.
Apparently he had an offer from San Jose that he turned down. It was the exact same term but at 13 million/yr. So needless to say he left a lot of money on the table to come back home and play for the leafs.

But like some have said once matthews marner and nylander re up they'll be in some trouble financially. Its definitely a possibility that marner ot nylander end up elsewhere.

Hellhammer

Rookie
Apparently he had an offer from San Jose that he turned down. It was the exact same term but at 13 million/yr. So needless to say he left a lot of money on the table to come back home and play for the leafs.

But like some have said once matthews marner and nylander re up they'll be in some trouble financially. Its definitely a possibility that marner ot nylander end up elsewhere.
I like them all but if I had to get rid of one it would be Willy Ny, nice problem to have for once in my lifetime as a Leaf fan.

Fullblown

Middleweight
I like them all but if I had to get rid of one it would be Willy Ny, nice problem to have for once in my lifetime as a Leaf fan.
I think the hard times are over.
I wouldn't mind then lining up another solid top 4 D man.

Hellhammer

Rookie
Same Fullblown,
A nice big mean stay at home Dman.
Our guys on the back end aren’t putting the fear into anybody.

How about Ottawa moving E K to San Jose, it had to be done ..... but that’s gotta sting