What's new

Maple leafs

BC

Administrator
How about Ottawa moving E K to San Jose, it had to be done ..... but that’s gotta sting
I think Ottawa did really well in that trade. Karlsson hasn't been the same since his ankle surgery and I don't foresee him getting back to that level again, either. The NHL is flooded with young guys that have unfathomable amounts of speed and that used to be one of EK's greatest assets. You could see last year he wasn't as quick in his pivots or transitions as he once was, and Ottawa ended up with some really decent prospects while alleviating a good chunk of this season's salary cap. Let's face it, EK wasn't going to re-sign with Ottawa after his contract was up anyways - you might as well get something for him while you're still able to.

Mnemonic

Registered
Holy shit, I missed that trade. San Jose picked up Karlsson?! Finally a team where he can shine next to Burns!
I am a Leafs fan at heart/home, but Sharks have always been a close second favourite of mine since a kid.
I'll never forget their playoff finals fumble against the Pens.

Either way, stoked to see what Tavares can do for the Leafs.
Also curious if he's going straight to captain, or if they are gonna put up Matthews to avoid conflict.

BC

Administrator
Either way, stoked to see what Tavares can do for the Leafs.
Also curious if he's going straight to captain, or if they are gonna put up Matthews to avoid conflict.
JT already took on an "A" for the upcoming season, Auston will be getting the "C" for the following year. Smart move by TO to leave the captaincy vacant though because you can bet your bottom dollar that if JT was wearing the "C" that Auston would be shopping elsewhere after his entry level contract expired. If the Leafs want to keep Auston, it needs to be apparent that it's his team for the foreseeable future.

Mnemonic

Registered
Exactly, you can tell in interviews that even though Matthews says he doesn't care. It would definitely be a shot in the ribs if the C went elsewhere.

biguglynewf

Super Moderator
They needed a buffer to insulate the young kids a little. In comes Johnny T who wanted to be in Toronto. Rumours he took less to come home wich he will make up for in endorsements.
Some say his skating isn’t world class, But I think his hockey IQ is. If Willy Ny has to be moved so be it.
Auston disappeared against the big bad Bruins and quite frankly the team got mugged by the Bs last year. It was tough to watch.
I would give JT the “C” and let him handle the media etc... from what I can tell J T doesn’t seem to have any off ice issues, and just loves the game. Kinda like a Sid the kid. Just a hockey nerd.
Gretzky was a terrible skater as well.

Not that JT is Gretzky....but skating isn’t always end all be all.

He doesn’t need a C. The maple leafs would be best served with not hanging that burden on any of these guys. The leafs went years without a C.... they don’t need one now.

The kid gm needs to figure out the contract issues... both now and in the next year. That’s all the leafs should be worried about right now. Well that and how they’re going to improve the D with all those cap dollars being eaten up. Regardless it should be interesting. If Marner or Matthews aren’t signed by 1 jul.... the offer sheets are going to come out of the woodwork lol. Providing they don’t get injured or have terrible seasons

Mnemonic

Registered
Still no C, both running the A.

Though watching an interview of the two, they are good friends already. To where I imagine both would nominate eachother for captaincy.
Matthews was actually communicating with Tavares trying to poach him before he made any decisions.

Worried about the resigning of Matthews/Marner though.

Meanwhile the old dog Marleau is probably a good fit to be Captain with his experience and lack of bias.