What's new

McGreggor vs Diaz 2

Thread starter #1

jjslim

Registered
So apparently this rematch is being worked on as the main event for UFC 200.. And I couldn't disagree more with this choice. I'll start by saying it ended up great the first time and will probably be great again.. BUT.. There is just no reason to make this fight happen right now.

a) Connor really should be looking to defend his FW title. A non title fight for him at UFC 200 likely puts the FW division on hold until late 2016 which is ridiculous.

b) I can pretty safely assume that if Diaz had lost a few weeks ago, the UFC wouldn't have been so quick to grant him a rematch. This rematch makes NO SENSE at the moment other than to get Connor back in the spot light in hopes of avenging his only UFC loss. Which bring me to...

c) Is this really the best thing the UFC can do for the main event of what is supposed to be their biggest PPV since UFC 100? Is this rematch REALLY a bigger draw than say, McGregor vs Frankie Edgar for the featherweight belt? Cuz personally I'm getting tired of all of the rematches. And really it's not like Connor was the long time welterweight champ who lost his title in a close decision, in that case I'd be more inclined to see a rematch. But instead he tapped out in round 2 with no title on the line and yet somehow he gets a rematch, just because.

Rant over.

I hate how Dana and the UFC give this guy whatever he wants. They should make him defend his belt or vacate it. Frankie Edgar deserves to get a shot at the belt. Frankie is a bad match up for Conor and he knows it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nibiru

Registered
Personally I'm not quite into this fight , as I get the feeling it will end the same
In my opinion this fight is strictly for the money, if Conor loses again basically he is still champion and has another Super fight against Jose Aldo or Frankie Edgar. This is basically a win-win for the UFC
Basically big paydays for Conor McGregor's name and then after that still big paydays for defending the title

patrick.m

Registered
I'm not feeling this fight. Conor is a smaller man and he should fight at 145. That's where he shines.
Fighting a bigger man and lacking the BJJ skills that some of them have really exposes his weaknesses. I mean he might win as he was doing well (look at Nate's face still) but there's so many other big fights they could have with him. Conor vs Edgar would be far more entertaining.

I'm not feeling this fight. Conor is a smaller man and he should fight at 145. That's where he shines.
Fighting a bigger man and lacking the BJJ skills that some of them have really exposes his weaknesses. I mean he might win as he was doing well (look at Nate's face still) but there's so many other big fights they could have with him. Conor vs Edgar would be far more entertaining.
Conor is a huge featherweight. He almost kills himself getting down there. He's a lightweight truly. But he does have the featherweight belt so he should defend it.

tren

Registered
Personally I'm not quite into this fight , as I get the feeling it will end the same
In my opinion this fight is strictly for the money, if Conor loses again basically he is still champion and has another Super fight against Jose Aldo or Frankie Edgar. This is basically a win-win for the UFC
Basically big paydays for Conor McGregor's name and then after that still big paydays for defending the title
Agreed, total money fight. I was always fond of how Mcgregor would give his fans the fights they wanted. Don't know if he came through this time.

Thread starter #8

jjslim

Registered
I feel like the ufc owes it to Connor. He was beating Diaz up Until he got choked.
The tide of a fight can change in an instant, it happens all the time. That's not a reason to book a rematch. If it were, then every other fight being booked would be a rematch. I don't feel the UFC "owes" Conor anything, they've already been very genenerous with him.

Thread starter #9

jjslim

Registered
Conor is a huge featherweight. He almost kills himself getting down there. He's a lightweight truly. But he does have the featherweight belt so he should defend it.

Agreed. Don't sit on the belt with no intentions of defending it. But eventually lightweight, not featherweight or welterweight, should be where he stays.

I feel like the ufc owes it to Connor. He was beating Diaz up Until he got choked.
What fight were you watching. Conor was rocked and went for a take down because he couldn't stand with Diaz anymore. It was gonna end bad for McGregor either way

tren

Registered
I had Connor winning until he gased out in the second round and got rocked because of it.

Anyone know if its at 170 again?

I had Connor winning until he gased out in the second round and got rocked because of it.

Yeah they are saying 170 again. And winning the first round of a 5 round fight and gassing out in the second definitely doesn't mean he was winning the fight.

Thread starter #14

jjslim

Registered

I've heard it will be 170 again which surprised me. It's still early to know for sure though, could be scrapped altogether. I personally think they can do better.

I've heard it will be 170 again which surprised me. It's still early to know for sure though, could be scrapped altogether. I personally think they can do better.
They can definitely do better. McGregor/Edgar and DosAnjos/Diaz. That would be the best thing to do. Nate probably wants that Conor fight again tho because it'll be way more money for him

tren

Registered
Yeah they are saying 170 again. And winning the first round of a 5 round fight and gassing out in the second definitely doesn't mean he was winning the fight.

Think you're contradicting yourself here lol.

But everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Think you're contradicting yourself here lol.

But everyone's entitled to their opinion.
How am I contradicting myself. He most likely did win the first round but he for sure lost the second. He wouldn't have had enough gas to win the fight. Just because you win one round doesn't mean you're winning the fight. Especially if you get lit up and submitted in only the second round

It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile.
Winning is winning.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
Exactly. I hate it when people say someone was winning a fight until they got knocked out or submitted. What happened before that point don't mean shit all that matters is they lost

Conon gets want he want purely because there is no one else who brings in the money like he does.he markets himself but also the ufc like no other which Is why he calls the shots.
I don't agree with the match for ufc 200 personally I think connor and Edgar would be a better fight but this is what connor wants. Personally he will be diaz this time he was to worried about his prediction of Knockin diaz out he got caught with a left and stunned him