What's new

Melatonin - impressive health supplement

Goldenrod

Super Heavyweight
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2007/6/nu_melatonin/Page-01

The uses of melatonin beyond sleep are coming to light. It has excellent liver protection qualities - more so than NAC for acetaminophen toxicity in recent studies. Very high doses are not showing negative side effects other than drowsiness.
It is being added to cancer treatment regimens with success and is being used successfully to treat eye diseases that require daily steroidal drops like prednisolone.
The only downfall I can find is the unknown - long term usage not recommmeded as no long term studies have been published (that I can find).
That being said - it is a very inexpensive supplement and one of the best antioxidants known.
As with most things as we age - so does melatonin production.

All of the aforementioned statements are from articles I read - a quick search on google provides endless info.

Jdave

Official CJM Suck Baby
I’ve heard that if you cease taking it, it can be harder to fall asleep but not sure. Something worth looking at especially since it seems to do a better job than NAC for aspirin liver toxicity

Testbear

Super Heavyweight
I’ve heard that if you cease taking it, it can be harder to fall asleep but not sure. Something worth looking at especially since it seems to do a better job than NAC for aspirin liver toxicity
I’ve use melatonin on and off and never had issues when I ceased using it for sleep.

Usually 5-10mg is we’re I stay when I have troubles sleeping or if I need to go to bed early say 9pm

I work a physical job so I my sleep usually is pretty good. but melatonin has definitely been useful for me for periods where perhaps...work slows down for the winter, not having sex, not working out as much as I could be. one thing about melatonin I’ve noticed is it helps putting you to sleep but not necessarily keeping you asleep the entire night

Jdave

Official CJM Suck Baby
I’ve use melatonin on and off and never had issues when I ceased using it for sleep.

Usually 5-10mg is we’re I stay when I have troubles sleeping or if I need to go to bed early say 9pm

I work a physical job so I my sleep usually is pretty good. but melatonin has definitely been useful for me for periods where perhaps...work slows down for the winter, not having sex, not working out as much as I could be. one thing about melatonin I’ve noticed is it helps putting you to sleep but not necessarily keeping you asleep the entire night
Ok I might look into it for liver support. It’s never done anything for my sleep but if it doesn’t hurt my sleep I wouldn’t mind using it for bolstering my liver support if it doesn’t hurt my sleep.
I’ve tried melatonin in everything from small to big doses, normal and time release, but never worked on my sleep.

Goldenrod

Super Heavyweight

I recently switched to a dual melatonin, one part is immediate release and the other lasts 4 hours.

Testbear

Super Heavyweight
I recently switched to a dual melatonin, one part is immediate release and the other lasts 4 hours.
That’s a good idea. I remember back when my sleep was all off I’d wake up around 3am and take more melatonin to go back to sleep

Testbear

Super Heavyweight
Ok I might look into it for liver support. It’s never done anything for my sleep but if it doesn’t hurt my sleep I wouldn’t mind using it for bolstering my liver support if it doesn’t hurt my sleep.
I’ve tried melatonin in everything from small to big doses, normal and time release, but never worked on my sleep.
What dosage did you take? Because the 1-2mg pill do jack shit for me. I need 10mg a to have a strong effect

Jdave

Official CJM Suck Baby
What dosage did you take? Because the 1-2mg pill do jack shit for me. I need 10mg a to have a strong effect
I do recall taking doses MUCH higher than 10mg- I wanna say as much as 60mg but it’s been a while. i remember trying that and Benadryl before I finally went to a doc for zopiclone which also didn’t work. I’ve mentioned it before. Ambien too.
More and more I feel it might be anxiety related since weed is the only that that really does anything but I don’t really know.

Jdave

Official CJM Suck Baby
Either way I’m going to do more reading on melatonin effects on liver

Testbear

Super Heavyweight
I do recall taking doses MUCH higher than 10mg- I wanna say as much as 60mg but it’s been a while. i remember trying that and Benadryl before I finally went to a doc for zopiclone which also didn’t work. I’ve mentioned it before. Ambien too.
More and more I feel it might be anxiety related since weed is the only that that really does anything but I don’t really know.
A little off topic now from the thread but I’ve been making st Johnson wort tea. I picked by my house (grows like a weed all over) and the amino acid “l-theanine” (good for anxiety) for relaxing at night time and it’s been putting me to bed nicely. Also l-theanine is considered a nootropic and does great with caffeine for focus. Sleeping drugs should definitely be a last resort

Goldenrod

Super Heavyweight
Either way I’m going to do more reading on melatonin effects on liver
I made a post here with a few articles attached on melatonin and the liver. One compared NAC, vitamin e and melatonin when a toxic substance was given and melatonin was the best for protecting the liver.
Have you ever tried remeron(mirtazapine) or trazadone? Both by scrip but remeron in low doses knock most out. It’s worst side effect is increased hunger and in turn weight gain.
Insomnia sucks - I have empathy for you.

Goldenrod

Super Heavyweight
A little off topic now from the thread but I’ve been making st Johnson wort tea. I picked by my house (grows like a weed all over) and the amino acid “l-theanine” (good for anxiety) for relaxing at night time and it’s been putting me to bed nicely. Also l-theanine is considered a nootropic and does great with caffeine for focus. Sleeping drugs should definitely be a last resort
I also have a diffuser with lavender oil. It helps me relax and it smells nice.
Agree - drugs should be the last resort but if needed to sleep, I do what I have to. I have low dose remeron and will take it if I can’t fall asleep. It isn’t habit forming and there is no pleasure to it - just knocks you out for a while.