What's new

Mental Health Sub Forum?

Thread starter #1

Pickle

Registered
Would there be any interest in having a forum dedicated to talking about mental health? We discuss a lot of aspects of health on here already and sometimes we over look the mental. Especially, when on cycle its nice to know how you're feeling sometimes is normal.

There are probably some other people on here besides myself who suffer from anxiety and depression. Might be a good place to talk to about ways to deal with issues and talk about what's meds worked for you and what didn't.

Just a thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be a great idea. However, if you already suffer from Mental Health issues, it would probably be in your best interest not to use AAS.

Having suffered from a few things in the past, one of the first things I did was get off all AAS, and found ways to deal with my Issues...

Just my 2 cents...

- PacMan

Britz

Registered
I like the idea. And for those of you who think that this falls into “the pussification of society” category, I’ll just say that talking about mental health to anyone takes a huge amount of balls. More people suffer in silence with depression/anxiety than we know.

Thread starter #4

Pickle

Registered
This would be a great idea. However, if you already suffer from Mental Health issues, it would probably be in your best interest not to use AAS.

Having suffered from a few things in the past, one of the first things I did was get off all AAS, and found ways to deal with my Issues...

Just my 2 cents...

- PacMan
I totally get what you are saying and I agree with you 100%. If you know going into things that your head space is not great you are looking for problems. As we know AAS has a tendency to amplify pre existing emotional tendencies.

That being said, when off cycle an individual can go through a lot of mental anxiety and stress as well. Those are some of the hardest times as things start to change in what most of us would view as a negative way. The excitement of making huge progress and gains is over and we are forced to come back to reality a bit.

All im saying is you can never have too much open conversation. Especially, in an environment where not only our hobby but the use of AAS and other PEDs is accepted and welcomed. As brothers and sisters we can always use another supporting hand.

Pickle

This is a GREAT idea.

At a VERY fundamental level Pac is right.

I suffer from depression, and slight anxiety, but mostly on the depression tip. It IS hard to deal with, and lucky enough, steroids, and hormonal increases give me a WONDER sense of well being that can't be beat. This isn't a 'pleasure' 'dopamine' YESSSSS! Kinda high feeling, but just a nice serene balanced feeling of well being.

I feel on. I feel right. It's hard to describe... but I just feel REALLY nice. Dianabol has had some profound effects on depression ( I just did a quick google search, and unfortunately couldn't find anything, but I DO recall someone mentioning that in the past...) I use anadrol (and am currently in my first week...) and feel perfect. Well rested, and at ease. It's awesome.

Anyway, I'm rambling...

All that too say that yes - Being chemically/hormonally unbalanced CAN potentially exasperate depression and anxiety, and it's something to be aware of.

I think a forum to throw down feelings, and ideas, without being judged is a great idea...

muscle_n_blood

Super Moderator
This is a GREAT idea.

I think a forum to throw down feelings, and ideas, without being judged is a great idea...
That is a big IF... the part about not being judged. While I feel the majority of us are supportive of each other and sympathetic to each other's difficulties, that is not universally true, and I can see this becoming counterproductive if not outright nasty. I worked in the mental health field for 20 years, so I have witnessed a lot. Few of us in here are actually qualified to advise others on their issues, so the discussion would often degenerate into vents and rants that wouldn't help things.
Having said that, I do understand that there are training, diet, and enhancement issues relating to emotions and mental health that could be discussed in a helpful way. For example, when I am running test, tren, and anadrol plus on a big gaining food program, I feel big and strong. I am totally chill and easy to get along with. Put me on test, tren, and winstrol plus a pre contest diet, and I have to bring some damage control skills to the table or I can be a total ass. This type of thing can be discussed elsewhere on the site, and has been over the years.
To get into the discussion of real psychiatric diagnoses, however, would pose a different set of problems. I am skeptical of the outcomes should we start talking about psych medications, recommendations for docs (psychiatric source seeking, lol) and that sort of thing.
Should Doc like this idea, such a forum would need close moderation to keep it helpful and positive. I am willing to do that, but I fear some would not like how I or any of the other mods might handle that. We would need some strict guidelines as to what would be appropriate. That is my opinion. That said, I do see some potential value.

That is a big IF... the part about not being judged. While I feel the majority of us are supportive of each other and sympathetic to each other's difficulties, that is not universally true, and I can see this becoming counterproductive if not outright nasty. I worked in the mental health field for 20 years, so I have witnessed a lot. Few of us in here are actually qualified to advise others on their issues, so the discussion would often degenerate into vents and rants that wouldn't help things.
Having said that, I do understand that there are training, diet, and enhancement issues relating to emotions and mental health that could be discussed in a helpful way. For example, when I am running test, tren, and anadrol plus on a big gaining food program, I feel big and strong. I am totally chill and easy to get along with. Put me on test, tren, and winstrol plus a pre contest diet, and I have to bring some damage control skills to the table or I can be a total ass. This type of thing can be discussed elsewhere on the site, and has been over the years.
To get into the discussion of real psychiatric diagnoses, however, would pose a different set of problems. I am skeptical of the outcomes should we start talking about psych medications, recommendations for docs (psychiatric source seeking, lol) and that sort of thing.
Should Doc like this idea, such a forum would need close moderation to keep it helpful and positive. I am willing to do that, but I fear some would not like how I or any of the other mods might handle that. We would need some strict guidelines as to what would be appropriate. That is my opinion. That said, I do see some potential value.
It's a nice idea, but the response nearly every thread should get (if the person is actually struggling) is to go talk to a professional.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Britz

Registered
It's a nice idea, but the response nearly every thread should get (if the person is actually struggling) is to go talk to a professional.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
I totally agree with that statement. But if that is the advice that somebody needs to hear, and they do seek help, doesn’t that make it successful? If somebody takes what the guys here have to say to heart, and that is what it takes for he/she to pull themselves out of the shit, then so be it.

Kind of on the fence and im trying really hard not to come across horribly here....

Mental health is a serious issue, one that has an unfair stigma to it, and too many suffer in silence. We should support any me,ever going through this, and if they are reaching out for help, as a community should receive our support.

With this being said, not convinced a bodybuilding forum is the place to get proper support or help. There are mental health and support sites that wouldn't have alpha males and under qualified people offering input to people struggling with health issues.

People come to CJM for advice on training, supplements, nutrition, and competition. It is a hardcore bodybuilding board....which is what many love about it. My concern would be if people genuinely needed help, a hardcore bodybuilding forum may not be ideal. I could see it turning into a shit show of poor advice, drama, and a mix of insensitive jerks telling people to harden up vs people treating the board like their personally shrink on a daily basis.

Even as I type this I realize I am coming across poorly, that's not my intention, nor is it my intention to downplay the importance of mental health

Britz

Registered
Kind of on the fence and im trying really hard not to come across horribly here....

Mental health is a serious issue, one that has an unfair stigma to it, and too many suffer in silence. We should support any me,ever going through this, and if they are reaching out for help, as a community should receive our support.

With this being said, not convinced a bodybuilding forum is the place to get proper support or help. There are mental health and support sites that wouldn't have alpha males and under qualified people offering input to people struggling with health issues.

People come to CJM for advice on training, supplements, nutrition, and competition. It is a hardcore bodybuilding board....which is what many love about it. My concern would be if people genuinely needed help, a hardcore bodybuilding forum may not be ideal. I could see it turning into a shit show of poor advice, drama, and a mix of insensitive jerks telling people to harden up vs people treating the board like their personally shrink on a daily basis.

Even as I type this I realize I am coming across poorly, that's not my intention, nor is it my intention to downplay the importance of mental health
That makes sense... I really can’t argue with the logic behind it.

It's not coming across poorly... Not even a LITTLE bit dude... AT all...

*I* suffer from depression, and it can be hard AF some days... I struggle... BUT you're ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. This IS a forum for hardcore diet, training, and well... at the risk of going against the grain and sounding quasi 'misogynistic' 'MANS' shit... TOUGHNESS etc... so it would and does seem like a bit of an odd fit.

I would benefit from sharing with the certain few that also have an issue with it... but fair enough... perhaps the issue isn't rampant enough to warrant it's own discussion forum, and a thread in 'Off Topic' would suffice...

Thread starter #13

Pickle

Registered

Well said man.

You didn't come across poorly at all. Solid logic and I agree with you.

Nah....that was bang on

Would there be any interest in having a forum dedicated to talking about mental health? We discuss a lot of aspects of health on here already and sometimes we over look the mental. Especially, when on cycle its nice to know how you're feeling sometimes is normal.

There are probably some other people on here besides myself who suffer from anxiety and depression. Might be a good place to talk to about ways to deal with issues and talk about what's meds worked for you and what didn't.

Just a thought!

Great idea. There is one at CanM and it helps.

destroyer

Registered
I think the whole world has gone crazy, I’m certainly not immune. I will say this, when I was a younger man, juice fucked with my head a lot more. Now it more instills a feeling of calm focus in me, kinda like how Strong One was talking about the well-being effect. AAS can be just medicine, part of your regimen, or standalone. Alot better than some of the stuff they give you at the dr if you tell them you’re depressed.

Last edited:
I think the whole world has gone crazy, I’m certainly not immune. I will say this, when I was a younger man, juice fucked with my head a lot more. Now it more instills a feeling of calm focus in me, kinda like how Strong One was talking about the well-being effect. AAS can be just medicine, part of your regimen, or standalone. Alot better than some of the stuff they give you at the dr if you tell them you’re depressed.

For me working out (and doing fasted cardio) keeps me going. I have been on Prozac for approx. 3 months and doc told me to start taking it every other day now. You know me I can take extreme measures when needed and I heard last week that most antidepressants make you put on weight. I haven't taken anything for 3 days now and so far so good.

destroyer

Registered
For me working out (and doing fasted cardio) keeps me going. I have been on Prozac for approx. 3 months and doc told me to start taking it every other day now. You know me I can take extreme measures when needed and I heard last week that most antidepressants make you put on weight. I haven't taken anything for 3 days now and so far so good.
If your goal is that you are getting off Prozac and I’m not sure if that’s what you’re getting at, I would look at periodically taking Benadryl after a few weeks of being off the Prozac. Benadryl is the progenitor drug of Prozac and has a weak SSRI effect. Also Wellbutrin did wonders for me and it won’t make you put on weight as it’s an NDRI.

My antidepressant had me gain weight and making it very hard to get it back down.