What's new

Muscle Memory Is a Real Thing? (study)

Thread starter Admin #1

~Dr Juice~

Administrator

Muscle Memory Is a Real Thing?

By Matt Weik, November 2nd, 2018

For a long time, people have been talking about “muscle memory” and that your muscles have the ability to remember stimulus. For instance, if someone was sick or injured and had to stay out of the gym for any long period of time, when they went back in, they would be able to more quickly gain back any lost size and strength thanks to muscle memory.

Then all of a sudden people started applying some pressure to those who thought this way and mentioned that there is no such thing as muscle memory and that muscles did not possess the ability to retain information. That is… until now.

Your Muscle Has Been Found to Have a “Brain”

Researchers from Keele University have conducted a study that shows our muscle actually has a memory at the DNA level. These researchers looked at more than 850,000 sites of DNA and found that those individuals who exercise showed markers of differentiation when compared to the DNA of individuals who did not exercise.

One researcher mentioned, “In this study, we’ve demonstrated the genes in muscle become more untagged with this epigenetic information when it grows following exercise in earlier life, importantly these genes remain untagged even when we lose muscle again, but this untagging helps ‘switch’ the gene on to a greater extent and is associated with greater muscle growth in response to exercise in later life – demonstrating an epigenetic memory of earlier life muscle growth! If an elite athlete takes performance-enhancing drugs to put on muscle bulk, their muscle may retain a memory of this prior muscle growth. If the athlete is caught and given a ban – it may be the case that short bans are not adequate, as they may continue to be at an advantage over their competitors because they have taken drugs earlier in life, despite not taking drugs anymore. More research using drugs to build muscle, rather than exercise used in the present study, is required to confirm this.”

Another researcher was quoted saying, “If an athlete’s muscle grows, and then they get injured and lose some muscle, it may help their later recovery if we know the genes responsible for muscle ‘memory’. Further research will be important to understand how different exercise programs can help activate these muscle memory genes.”

This is extremely interesting and further research should give us a better idea of if one method of training is more beneficial than another on activating this “brain” in our DNA. Must you train for hypertrophy only, or can minimal resistance be enough to help both before and after a potential loss of muscle mass?

Either way, the findings of this study are extremely promising and should give individuals who are injured or laid up from the weights for a period of time a sigh of relief that all hope isn’t lost. By going back and putting in the time, it is possible for the muscle to come back fairly quickly.

I expect in the coming year (possibly two), that we will see more research on this subject as it can also possibly help those who have any type of muscle wasting disease such as ALS and MS.

Source:
Robert A. Seaborne, Juliette Strauss, Matthew Cocks, Sam Shepherd, Thomas D. O’Brien, Ken A. van Someren, Phillip G. Bell, Christopher Murgatroyd, James P. Morton, Claire E. Stewart, Adam P. Sharples. “Human Skeletal Muscle Possesses an Epigenetic Memory of Hypertrophy.” Scientific Reports, 2018; 8 (1).

66Chevy

Super Moderator
I have known muscle memory to be true first hand, as has anyone who has had to take time off due to injury or illness over their lifting career. However, I don't think this justify's extending bans to athelete's who have used ped's at some point in time.

Muscle memory is a fact. Whenever you sop working out for months for one reason or the other, you regain strength and all once you start hitting the gym again. I know because after surgery I stopped for weeks until m_b told me that hitting the upper body would do me good mentally and physically and he was right as always. I had lost quite a lot of muscle and strength (poor diet and lack of exercise) and as soon ascI started working out again I noticed some muscle tone again and I get stronger by the day.

Lift4Life

Registered
Body building community has known this for decades. I guess someone came up with a study to "prove it". Kind of pointless.

Spartin77

Registered
I've gained 18lbs in 8 weeks. Went from 212lbs back to 230. I also lost 2 inc from my waist, 36 down to 34! So I've gained much more but I did not do a BMI prior so I can't elaborate on that. I've been out of the gym for almost 10yrs!

I can't believe it:) I'm tired as ever but yes they remember. Now only if I can find my keys! Crap!

Last edited:
Thread starter Admin #7

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
Muscle memory is a fact. Whenever you sop working out for months for one reason or the other, you regain strength and all once you start hitting the gym again. I know because after surgery I stopped for weeks until m_b told me that hitting the upper body would do me good mentally and physically and he was right as always.
-- After reading of his comeback I think muscle_n_blood could be the poster child for muscle memory and would most certainly attest to its legitimacy (y)

Ive personally seen my muscles come back so fast after 1-2years off training. People told me I was on gear when I was not. It really is an amazing thing.

-- After reading of his comeback I think muscle_n_blood could be the poster child for muscle memory and would most certainly attest to its legitimacy (y)
m_b is the Six Million Dollar Man. "We can rebuild him. We have the technology, we can make it better, stronger, faster than he was" :-;

I believe the muscles you worked the hardest while you were young seem to get the best growth when older. That could be part of the muscle memory thing as well.

I trained very consistently from 15 - 30. I did not lift for a ton of years in my 30s as i was doing jiu jitsu exclusively, when i starting lifting again at 40 i put solid muscle on in 18 months, no gear and this was a year or two prior to me going on TRT so my test was on the lower side. For me muscle memory was VERY real.

Yeah.....anyone who has spent years in a gym.....built up a fantastic physique....then took even 4 or 5 or 10 years off....went to shit then hit the gym again knows muscle memory is real. I can still go from looking like complete garbage after a long layoff to fairly big and ripped within about 4 or 5 months. Even after 2 months I've regained much of my shape.

I've gone from 160 and not ripped to 240 and lean in 6 months, I feel this is not possible without muscle memory. I had been working on oil rigs for two years after a decade straight of 6 days a week training. Then back to sedentary life and 8 meals a day and twice a day training. 0 doubt muscle memory is real.

I think there is way too much scientific studies out there to actually argue against the notion of muscle memory.
From epigenetics and dna coding to the actual make up of the muscles (myonuclei). Apparently the myonuclei is protected from the process of apoptosis due to severe atrophy for up to and maybe beyond 15yrs.
Here's a long boring read if the mood catches you.
http://jeb.biologists.org/content/219/2/235