What's new

My Friend - Big Rob Friss .... Found!

Thread starter Admin #1

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
-- Recently I was talking to an old friend and the name Rob Friss came up in the conversation. The name immediately "popped" in my head because I've been interested in knowing what happened to the guy. You see, Rob used to be a gym member of mine when I owned Iron World Gym in Victoria B.C. way back in the day, in the early 90's. I still vividly remember the day he and his friend, Todd I believe, walked into my office to sign up for a membership. My first thought was, "Who is this dishevelled guy with the mop of hair, deep voice, and dorky glasses?" First impressions can be a good indicator, but boy, was I wrong about what I thought lay hidden under that wind breaker and torn sweat pants he was wearing!

I was hearing rumors abound of this new guy that had joined the gym recently, and the freaky proportions he was supposedly carrying. I didn't pay it much heed and carried about my daily mundane gym duties without second thought. Then, one day, as I was cleaning out the musky-scented men's change room, in walks this Rob guy and begins to get changed into his workout gear. I almost dropped the mop I was holding. All I can say is ..... Damn! I was shocked. When he took off his ratty windbreaker, the sheer proportions of muscle mass this guy possessed astounded me. I was even more shocked when his pants dropped (no ghey) and I saw he meant business with the sizeable (and striated) legs he was sporting. I was dumbfounded. For some reason my mind could just not match the face and the demeanor with the physique I was now seeing before me. I knew this guy was something special. Remember this is like back in 1992 or '93!

Rob and I grew to be pretty good friends. We went out on a weekend or two to enjoy a big dinner somewhere or another. I even invited him to an all-you-can-eat chicken wing night at a local pub. It was a competition that pitted my gym against the locally stationed navy. It would be 10 of my guys versus 10 of their guys. The pub went so far as to advertise on their sign out front and even get t-shirts and trophies made up. The day of the competition arrived and I did my best to psyche my team up and plead with each and every one of them to eat 100 wings each. The goal was 1,000 wings. An impossible task.

When the smoke finally cleared, Iron World Gym was declared the ultimate victor. We blew the navy out of the water with a total of like some 900+ wings devoured. The navy managed to muster a mere 600 and then some. I was used to such heated competition because just weeks before we had demolished some other team (like Bob's Plumbing or something). A team which bowed out after only 300 or so wings! (this is how the navy came into the challenge. They called us out after that victory). Many on my team were fresh recruits however and not used to such fierce battle, Rob being one of them. I handpicked him due to his large proportions and presumed penchant for devouring chicken. I was a little off the mark you could say. Rob was crushed after some 40 wings and looked absolute ghastly. I think he believed we were going for a pleasant sit-down meal of some chicken wings and beverage, lol. Others on the team had to pick up the slack for him and a couple others that fell short of the mark.

That was only one of the stories that stand out in my mind about Rob. He was a great guy and I truly wondered what had ever happened to him.
So as I mentioned before I was chatting with another friend the other day and he mentioned Rob in the conversation. I immediately asked him as to Rob's whereabouts. He mentioned that he now lives in Red Deer, Alberta, owns a supplement business, is still married with like 2 or 3 kids now, and competed in the Canadian Nationals Masters!

I got home later that day and looked him up on Google (I should've done that earlier. Or maybe I was going to but then forgot? I can't recall). Bingo, there he was, pictures and all. It was good to see his face again. I went a step farther and added him on Facebook. He added me the next day. I haven't conversed with him as yet but I plan to very soon. It was great to find someone from so long ago.

The ironic part of the story is that there's a video posted of Rob on YouTube and he's STILL wearing the tattered 90's clothing! I could only chuckle.

TS1

Registered
Man take me to these all you can eat wing joints next time im on the Island!
FUARRRRRK eggs, protein shake, egg whites, banana, oats, bacon for brekkie I want wings dammit!!!!

Thread starter Admin #3

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
Man take me to these all you can eat wing joints next time im on the Island!
FUARRRRRK eggs, protein shake, egg whites, banana, oats, bacon for brekkie I want wings dammit!!!!
-- Lol, it's a deal. Although I'd prefer the pleasant sit-down, consume at your own leisure approach nowadays.

Damn, I still remember that contest vividly ...... You start out so eager downing wings with such voracious fervor. Then you get to like wing no. 50 or so. After this it becomes a real personal challenge. I can still remember the sound of the deep fryer each time a fresh basket of wings was dropped in the oil. Many on the team and the opposition begin to crack at this point. Some are literally green in complexion! Oh, and the queasy feeling afterward cannot be described. I did have a couple secret weapons on my team though. A gym member who was from Ghana, and another who was east Indian. These two combined were absolute magic and could devour chicken like two starved velociraptors. Both of them picked up the slack from the ones that fell in battle.

66Chevy

Super Moderator
Oh, and the queasy feeling afterward cannot be described. I did have a couple secret weapons on my team though. A gym member who was from Ghana, and another who was east Indian. These two combined were absolute magic and could devour chicken like two starved velociraptors. Both of them picked up the slack from the ones that fell in battle.
man you have the best words! lol. Have to pull out the thesaurus to discover what that word is....
great story btw. never bumped into Rob in my travels, he was slightly before my time in the local scene. Seems like a great guy who just loves to train.

Chillin

Registered
Great story as always Doc, makes me want to implement that smith machine into my chest workout that's for sure.

DeviousD

Registered
One hell of a nice guy! If you're around the Red Deer area I seriously suggest you support him & his sup store. He will bend over backwards to help out his customers....always willing to bring anything that you want. If he can get it, he will get it for you. Also some of the best prices around, no need to even price match, he is always cheaper.

TS1

Registered
I want AYCE wings ugggh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Admin #10

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
-- Big Rob just contacted me yesterday. It was a brief chat but we shared a few quick laughs and some reminiscing from days past. It seems he recently read this short story I posted here on CJM and was reminded about the chicken wing story. I can still taste that greasy chicken if I think about it, lol :eek: