What's new

Nathan De Asha Competes at Mr. Olympia While Top Customer Goes to Prison

• Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator

Nathan De Asha Competes at Mr. Olympia While Top Customer Goes to Prison
September 9th, 2019

IFBB pro bodybuilder goes to Las Vegas to compete while his customers are in court facing the music.

Nathan “The Prophecy” De Asha, an IFBB professional bodybuilder and recently convicted steroid dealer, is currently preparing to compete in the 2019 Mr. Olympia contest in Las Vegas on September 14, 2019. Meanwhile, one of his top customers has been sentenced to prison in England.

De Asha pleaded guilty to one count of possessing Class C anabolic steroids with intent to supply back in July 2019. He was supposed to be sentenced alongside his top customers – Richard and Georgina Green – at Exeter Crown Court on September 6, 2019.

Nathan De Asha travelled to the United States to compete in the Mr. Olympia contest after his sentencing date was re-scheduled.

De Asha’s defense attorney was conveniently unable to attend the sentencing hearing. The barrister’s absence forced the court to reschedule De Asha’s hearing for a later date.

The rescheduling effectively allowed De Asha to fly to the United States and compete in the 2019 Mr. Olympia bodybuilding contest.

Meanwhile, the bodybuilder’s top customer, Richard Green, was sentenced to 4-1/2 years in prison. Richard Green and his wife Georgina Green were the owners of the “Pain and Gain Gym” in Barnstaple.

The couple was found guilty of possessing large quantities of anabolic steroids with the intent of selling the drugs to their gym customers.

Georgina Green was sentenced to 12 months in prison but received a two-year suspended sentence.

If Richard Green was sentenced to 4-1/2 years imprisonment, one would expect De Asha to receive an even harsher sentence. After all De Asha was higher on the steroid distribution chain.

The sentencing considerations were complicated by the fact that Richard and Georgina Green were not merely involved in selling steroids to bodybuilders. They were also involved in selling psychoactive drugs like Ecstasy (MDMA) and cocaine. De Asha only distributed steroids.

De Asha will be able to enjoy the 2019 Olympia Weekend. But he will eventually need to fly back home and face the music.

De Asha most likely will not be sentenced to lengthy imprisonment like Richard Green. Nonetheless, prison time is a real possibility for De Asha.

After De Asha pleaded guilty in July 2019, Judge David Evans warned him that prison was on the table.

The United States surprisingly allowed the convicted English steroid dealer to enter the country so that he could compete in a bodybuilding contest. De Asha’s good fortune will soon run out.

The professional bodybuilder must eventually return home to England to face the music.

Sources: Kirkham, J. (September 6, 2019). Steroid-dealing body builder uses court delay to compete in Las Vegas Mr Universe. Retrieved from liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/steroid-dealing-body-builder-uses-16879154

Last edited:

YODATRON

Rookie
I was reading that he pulled out because his court date was Monday morning at 10am.

• Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
UPDATE

We’re With You You, Nathan De Asha!
By Christian Duque, September 12th, 2019

He was ready, sharper than ever, and poised to go all the way. Could he have won the Olympia? He absolutely would’ve been a name to watch!! I think he would have been a serious contender for the Top 6 and when you’re talking about The Superbowl of Bodybuilding, that group of six men, represents a group of guys, who any one of which could conceivably walk away with the Sandow. What separates 2nd from 3rd or 5th from 6th could be microscopic; in fact, sometimes, having heart and the will to win can push you up a placing or two. It’s really that close!! Sadly, Nathan De Asha aka The Prophecy finds himself jammed up with a case in the UK, that will keep him out of the 2019 Mr. Olympia, but he didn’t keep the fans in the dark as to why.

Nathan, who thinks the world of his fans, let the world know why he’d miss the Olympia in a very candid video released on his official YouTube channel. You can tell just how much he wanted to compete, because he was even looking at flights that would get him to the Olympia and back in the UK for trial. The times would have been so close that the chances of De Asha missing court would’ve been very high. I mean think about it, how many times have your flights been delayed? What’s that? The plane needs to be cleaned? That’ll easily add an hour. There’s a storm? Maybe the flight gets delayed 3hrs. What if your bags get misplaced? There’s a million different scenarios that could have thrown a monkey wrench in the itinerary. Sometimes a plane is fifth in line to take off or it lands on time, but has to taxi around for half an hour to find an open gate. These things are very common, so even if you can find the right flight times, it’s a huge gamble to expect everything to move along perfectly. No one can blame Nathan for not wanting to miss a court date, especially one where sentencing would be on the table.

As he pointed out, anything even remotely reminiscing absconding could be very detrimental to the final outcome of the proceedings. Nonetheless, the fact he was even trying to travel, shows just how much he cares. Most guys in this situation not only wouldn’t have tried making the trip possible, but most certainly wouldn’t have made a video trying to explain the situation, either. Also, you could hear the sadness in his voice, but you have to respect him for setting the record straight. He even made a point to stress that this was not a visa issue. This type of release is exactly what’s become necessary in the paparazzi-dominated bodybuilding media where rumors and fake news dominate what most fans read.

The last thing I’ll say about Nathan’s video is that he’s also making this very tragic situation into a learning experience not only for himself, but for his many fans around the world. I think a lot of times people can be a little naïve in the fitness industry, and this extends to the biggest stars as well. This business is very tough and there’s a lot of hustlers and just downright dishonest people. I don’t want to speak directly to Nathan’s case, because I don’t know all the details, but just from watching his video, it really seems like he was taken advantage of and couldn’t see the big picture at the time.

I also don’t know what the legal system in Britain is like and while I’m very happy that it doesn’t seem like he’ll be doing any jail time, I wouldn’t be surprised if Nathan was prosecuted a little bit more harshly because he’s a big name bodybuilder. This disproportionate treatment wouldn’t just be for physique-based athletes, rather, for any high profile people. It’s sad to say, but we oftentimes think celebrities get treated differently, in that they get more favorable treatment and lighter sentences. That’s certainly one possibility, but there’s also the possibility they get the harsher side of things than say, everyday people. I’m more inclined to believe things are done more so in the latter than the former.

With regard to the federation, the promoters, the press and the fans, it appears everyone has been very understanding, especially given De Asha’s video. I would also hope that his sponsor(s) stay by his side. Just one look at his physique, taken in conjunction with his very impressive contest record, we know that 2019 might have been a truly defining year for De Asha, but hopefully 2020 will be as well. There’s no question he’s a hard worker and no question he’ll be back!

For me, covering my first Olympia, this is definitely a sad moment. I’m seriously bummed out, especially because I’ve interviewed Nathan before, and I think really highly of him. That being said, you live and you learn, and I know we haven’t heard the last of The Prophecy!!

PacMan

Vet
To me honestly their has to be more to the story. As he would have found out about his court date months ago, and it could have easily been pushed back a few days.

- PacMan

Deetermined

Rookie
In my opinion he's definitely doing the right thing as any mis-steps could result in a longer sentencing, making it harder to get back on track. Better he just faces it and gets it behind him.

• Admin

~Dr Juice~

Administrator
To me honestly their has to be more to the story. As he would have found out about his court date months ago, and it could have easily been pushed back a few days.

- PacMan
-- I'm in agreement. Typically both sides of an impending court case are granted 3 delays each (each delay can be up to 3 months if I'm not mistaken, so technically a total of 18 months = 9 months per side. It's my opinion that his absence has more to do with imposed court conditions, namely he can't leave the jurisdiction. That, or the USA, or the UK, is saying no way Jose.

And to be honest I think both Nathan and the author of the above article are pretty fuckin' hopeful if they think a [likely] convicted steroid trafficker will be welcomed into the USA and compete in the 2020 Mr. Olympia! That ain't gonna happen until at least a pardon is granted, and even then the prospects are still really grim. In addition there's a little inconvenient fact that these so-called pardons can take notoriously long, years in most cases. I know in Canada you have to wait until 2.5 years after your sentence has expired to even apply. And then it's about another 2 - 2.5 year wait for your application to be processed!