What's new

NHL '19 - '20 Season

• Admin

BC

Administrator
Well, where's everyone at as we move into the upcoming season?

Predictions, thoughts on trades, will Marner sign before training camp, who will have a better rookie campaign between Hughes and Kaako, will Edmonton climb out of the basement, will Tampa still be a dominant force throughout the regular season, and so forth? Lots of topics to discuss moving into this year so let's hear it.

manfreakyca

Registered
I could see last year near the end of the season lightning started loosing steam last 10 games im thinking this not going well into the playoffs didnt fair well for them either! this year hard to say how well they will play!! I think kessel is gone??

SmashingMachine

Registered
I truly hope they sign Marner before camp. They would be crazy not to do everything in their power to lock him in. I understand theres more to it but personally IMO he is one of the most valuable players on the leafs. I would have loved to see them get rid of Nylander and open up some cap space. With that said I was happy they signed Hutch too and got rid of Sparks. Im the most excited going into this season for the leafs than I have been for awhile. I was very happy with a bunch of their trades and their line ups are looking promising. I was disappointed to see Kadri go but the fact they signed Kerfoot made me excited. Hes a grinder like Kadri but IMO hes better overall.

I feel its going to be the same song and dance for the Oilers this year. I cant see much changing when they depend so heavily on McDavid. I was surprised with Tampas outcome in the playoffs... I definitely did not see that happening.. I figured they would make it a couple rounds at least. I think they will have another strong season and make a statement again.. Ill be curious to see who they will face first round this year in the playoff.s

For rookies Im leaning more towards Kaako mainly because of Panarin but its gonna be awesome to see those rookies battle it out for the spotlight. What did you guys think of that Panarin deal?? Im sure the New York fans are ecstatic right now lol I know I would be.

Clearly Im a huge Leafs fan but Im pumped to see how the beginning of the season starts and who comes out flying.

Whats your thoughts BC? Whos your team? Any other Leafs fans here?

• Admin

BC

Administrator
The Leafs are playing with fire by not giving Marner what he wants. Did it ever dawn on anyone as to why Tavares had a banner year last season? Because he had Mitch feeding him tap-ins all year long. Take Mitch out of the fold and Tavares will be the same over-hyped, overrated player he was with the Isles. I'm not sure what the future holds for that team but ultimately I don't really care. I like Auston, I like Mitch, I don't care for Tavares and I really didn't like Kadri. I think Dubas made a good move by ousting him, though. Guys like him are cancerous to a locker room.

I think Edmonton will be a fringe team, but it's becoming more and more apparent as each year progresses that McDavid's defensive game lacks and he can be shut down when he needs to be. I'm not going to discredit him as being the most dynamic/explosive player in the NHL, but he's not the best (and his TOI/PPG and +/- proves it). There's a reason he was behind Kucherov and Sid for the Hart Trophy last year and it's because he's lazy in his own end. I do feel he'll ask for a trade if the Oilers don't make the playoffs this year though, at which point Edmonton will burn down their entire city and riots will last for a decade (or two). He's chewing up the best years of his career and loyalty only lasts so long.

I think Kaako and Panarin are going to be exciting to watch together and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers make it into the 2nd round of the playoffs. I realize that's hugely preliminary to say before the season even begins, but having a few players of that caliber stepping onto the roster can instill a lot of confidence in the rest of the team and give everyone there an extra gear when they need it.

I think Pittsburgh still has a lot of gas in the tank and Gino will be due for a banner year. Sid's finally had some time to rest this off season, the addition of Galchenyuk will be positive, but there's still a lingering goaltending issue because I don't think Matt Murray is the guy to carry them. He's too injury prone, has had too many concussions and so on. I really thought Jimmy Rutherford was going to make a run at Lehner or Bobrovsky and was disappointed that he didn't land either.

One team that I think will be a dark horse this year will be the Flyers. They've got a really solid prospect pool, finally have the right coach coming into the fold and Carter Hart is an absolute stud. They don't have a lot of superstars coming into the mix, but what they do have is a really deep core of players that are better-than-average. They'll be able to roll 3 really solid lines full of young guys all looking to prove something and I think that's a recipe to at least make it into the playoffs. Ditching Simmons was a positve as well.

Lastly, watch out for Florida. Barkov, Bobrovsky and Coach Q are going to make up for a few years of lackluster finishes. Barkov is out for vengeance and I think he's going to be an animal all season long.

Last edited:

SmashingMachine

Registered
I couldnt agree more with what you said about Tavares. If Marner is gone... he will have no where near the season he had last year. The same goes for a few other players as well. I love Rielly and I feel he is a great defenceman but he would also have no where near the points he had if Marner is gone IMO. I personally find Anderson to be one of the top goalies in the NHL as well but maybe Im being biased because Ive been a leafs fan all my life lol. I also had no idea that Kadri was cancerous in the locker room... I always thought he got along good with the team but that was all speculation on my end. I completely understand why players on the opposing teams hated him though lol.

I 100% agree on McDavid being lazy in his own end as well and I feel him going to a different team and having a fresh start would be the best thing for his career. Edmonton would crumble if he left. There def would be some fans raging like you said if that time does come haha there would be a lot of bitter people.

Id love to see Sid come back rested and fully recovered. Hes a great player to watch and his talent really shows on the ice when hes healthy. I also cant see Matt Murray having the all star type games when they need him most.. Im not taking anything away from him but I just cant see him performing the way they need him too in the playoff rounds whether it be due to injuries or a few off games when they need him most. With that being said I do feel like they will still do well and make it a couple rounds in atleast.

Im excited as well to see how Philly does and I also think they will turn some heads this year. Atleast make a statement showing that they will be a serious contender within a few years. It would be nice as well to see Florida come out strong and make a statement!

Great thread @BC Im really looking forward to this upcomming season. Pre season is right around the corner and Im already eager to see where all the teams will stand half way through the year.

The leafs have not won a cup since 67 but I still have faith that our time will eventually come... might not be for another 50 years though... Damn its stressful being a leafs fan Lol

• Admin

BC

Administrator
Do you think Babcock is the coach to get the Leafs to a deep run? I realize they keep landing Boston in the 1st round every year which puts them at a major disadvantage from the moment the regular season ends, but I lost a lot of faith in Babs after Game 7 against Boston last year when he wasn't pushing really heavy minutes on Tavares, Mitch and Auston. Auston played something like 19 minutes in that game if I recall correctly which just made zero sense to me. If you're going to be paying a kid $11,000,000+ AAV, he better be logging 25+ minutes when it matters most.

Mnemonic

Registered
Ditch Nylander, Sign Marner. Kerfoot & Muzzin will be a big help.
Perhaps we will have a year without an injured Matthews.
Oh and with Kadri gone, we may have a full roster in the playoffs :sneaky:

Daway

Registered
One team that I think will be a dark horse this year will be the Flyers.
As a flyers fan I would love to believe this. I'm just hoping the usual doesn't happen:. A promising team has a great start just to collapse in January, limp their way into the playoffs, beat a team or two they shouldn't so give fans a ray of hope only to get it crushed in the next round.

PacMan

Vet
Here is the issue with Marner. Look at the point totals the past few years, he has higher totals than Matthews but yet they paid Matthews all the $$. IMO, Marner is a way better talent than Matthews and he feels he deserves the same contract as him, which is totally warranted.

Keerfoot and Muzin are great additions. They need a solid Backup to Anderson however.

And Babcock is not the right coach for this team at all...

- PacMan

Beecom

Registered
I really believe that 2019-2020 will be the year that the Leafs really take that next step forward and make a deep run into the finals. Not saying they are going to win, but they will at least get a chance to make the finals and go for it all! The young guys are a year older and they are still somewhat in a sweet spot this year to be prime before their window closes and they turn into salary cap nightmare. They now have an ownership group that is willing to pay big money and use their financial willpower to get any slight advantage to make the team successful. After getting a taste with the raptors on what a championship does for the team and the city, i believe you'll see more of a push and hunger to make it happen with the Leafs!

Closer to @PacMan and @BC what about those Canucks? Will they ever figure it out or will it be a 10 year re-build that just goes in circles with losing seasons not making the playoffs?

PacMan

Vet
LOL , I have Season Tickets for Canucks just to watch the visiting teams. But in all honesty they are going to be a young, fast team this year. Will be interesting...

- PacMan

BC

Administrator
Closer to @PacMan and @BC what about those Canucks? Will they ever figure it out or will it be a 10 year re-build that just goes in circles with losing seasons not making the playoffs?
I'm torn on this, but I do think Travis Green is the right coach and there's some good enough pieces in place to at least be a fringe team. Pettersson is an absolute stud, Boeser can easily be a 35/40+ goal scorer, and Bo is a natural leader that'll guide the team well over the next decade or so. He needs to be handed the C sooner rather than later, however. I'm not confident in the Myers acquisition at all ($6m/AAV? Yikes...), but that's another story entirely. I think J. T. Miller might help the cause a bit this year but again, not at the AAV he's getting.

There's some good talent in the prospect pool, Jet Woo being among them, but I have no idea what Benning was thinking grabbing Podkolzin in this year's draft merely based on the fact that you won't see him here for at least 2 to 3 seasons. And we don't need to get into the redundant topic of how well Russians tend to turn out in the NHL, obviously with a few exceptions along the way. I'm excited to see how Demko does this season though, perhaps there's some hope there.

So all in all, I'm 50/50. There's teams that have done better with less core pieces in place, but there's some salary cap issues and I have little faith in Benning. Eriksson needs to go, but good luck shedding that contract. I'm sure the 'Nucks will do better than last year but that obviously doesn't say a ton.

Beecom

Registered
I'm torn on this, but I do think Travis Green is the right coach and there's some good enough pieces in place to at least be a fringe team. Pettersson is an absolute stud, Boeser can easily be a 35/40+ goal scorer, and Bo is a natural leader that'll guide the team well over the next decade or so. He needs to be handed the C sooner rather than later, however. I'm not confident in the Myers acquisition at all ($6m/AAV? Yikes...), but that's another story entirely. I think J. T. Miller might help the cause a bit this year but again, not at the AAV he's getting.

There's some good talent in the prospect pool, Jet Woo being among them, but I have no idea what Benning was thinking grabbing Podkolzin in this year's draft merely based on the fact that you won't see him here for at least 2 to 3 seasons. And we don't need to get into the redundant topic of how well Russians tend to turn out in the NHL, obviously with a few exceptions along the way. I'm excited to see how Demko does this season though, perhaps there's some hope there.

So all in all, I'm 50/50. There's teams that have done better with less core pieces in place, but there's some salary cap issues and I have little faith in Benning. Eriksson needs to go, but good luck shedding that contract. I'm sure the 'Nucks will do better than last year but that obviously doesn't say a ton.
They've had some of the worst lottery draft luck in the past couple of years and they haven't been able to capitalize on the picks they've been given under Benning. (letting Matthew Tkachuk go to the flames after their pick) ext..

It almost feels like Vancouver is happy being in the playoff hunt, coming in 7th or 8th just making it into the playoffs and getting bounced out of the first round. Seems like it's more of an ego thing and laziness thing on behalf of the owners.. Just make money and get it, keep the fans just happy enough so they keep paying us money but lets not go out and spend big, get smart people, and go win.. Just steady and easy seems to be the Canucks way these days with no real hurry to change things.

Will be great to see Seattle in the league and the way it's shaping up for the expansion draft they'll be a playoff team in year 1.

Vancouver will have to shape up really quickly!!!

BC

Administrator
They've had some of the worst lottery draft luck in the past couple of years and they haven't been able to capitalize on the picks they've been given under Benning. (letting Matthew Tkachuk go to the flames after their pick) ext..

It almost feels like Vancouver is happy being in the playoff hunt, coming in 7th or 8th just making it into the playoffs and getting bounced out of the first round. Seems like it's more of an ego thing and laziness thing on behalf of the owners.. Just make money and get it, keep the fans just happy enough so they keep paying us money but lets not go out and spend big, get smart people, and go win.. Just steady and easy seems to be the Canucks way these days with no real hurry to change things.

Will be great to see Seattle in the league and the way it's shaping up for the expansion draft they'll be a playoff team in year 1.

Vancouver will have to shape up really quickly!!!
Picking that deadbeat Juolevi over Tkachuk is going to haunt the Canucks for the next decade. That'll easily go down as one of the biggest draft blunders of all time. I remember watching that draft and being completely lost for words when that pick happened.